15 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2014 10:25 PM by drsqueegee

Edge keeps crashing (cc version)

drsqueegee Level 1

Ever since upgrading to the cc version of edge I can no longer work with a particular file. My smaller edge animate projects are working fine. The most recently saved version of the large project I am having a problem with can be viewed here.

The files can be downloaded here.

The project is a combination linear/cyclical timeline that covers a period between about 4000 BCE - 4000 CE. You can switch between the linear and cyclical views with a button that is between the forward and reverse play buttons. The timeline focuses on bible chronology. There are links within the timeline that open other edge animations in a spotlight overlay window (used edge commons for this).

Before I upgraded to the latest version of EAcc I was able to successfully make changes to the file, although edge took a long time to save (up to a minute of "not responding"). I have found that zooming in closer to the edge timeline really boggs down the program to the point of being unusable, so I stayed zoomed out as much as possible.

Before the upgrade, I have had problems saving recently. If I complete more than a few operations without saving, and then try to save I get an error message that says "out of memory, save work and exit" (which proves to be impossible), so I have had to save every 5 minutes or so if I didn't want to lose my work. This is a major irritation that I have learned to live with, but of course now I can do NOTHING without edge hanging.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling edge, but that makes no difference. I am also not able to use the older version (1.5), since the file has been saved within EAcc(ironically the ONLY successful operation the program was able to pull off).

I am really trying not to freak out about this, but it represents over two years of my life. If anyone can see what in my file (or edge) is causing the bogging and crashing I would be forever greatful...

Thanks

• 1. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
          drsqueegee Level 1

I've found a way to rebuild the project. I have started a new project and I am able to copy one or more elements at a time from the original project and paste them into the new. Edge will allow me to do this one copy operation without hanging, but I have to close the old file before pasting into the new or else the program will hang when I try and return to the old file.

I have gotten about 1/4 the way through being rebuilt, and preformance in the new file is much better. The first "problem element" is one that I can do without (FractalAbram). The thing that irks me is that an update should function at least as good as it's parent program.

At least I have found a way to rebuild the project without having to rebuild all the elements from scratch, but this is very tedious.

• 2. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
            drsqueegee Level 1

I've found what is causing EAcc to crash for me. It is a unbelievably a text box! My project ran in EA1.5 with 50 or more of these text boxes, but now, with just one, it keeps hanging.

Will the Adobe team please have a look at this? I have uploaded 2 files here.

Please notice that both files run very well within the browser, but the file titled clockNew will hang frequently in edge (especially if you click on Adam-text, or the div that contains it, or try to reposition an element). The file called clockNOtext does not hang at all. The only difference is the text box.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
              arao2k6 Level 2

Hi drsqueegee

Seems like the static text thats within the 'Adam-text' id is causing the slow down within your project.

For now you could write a javascript code that populates the same or break it apart into multiple text fields.

p.s: I tried reducsing the number of lines in the Adam-text id and things were back to normal. Seems like a performance issue.

Hope this helps

Avinash

• 4. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
                drsqueegee Level 1

Thanks for your input arao2k6,

Yes, there are a lot of line breaks within that one text box, but my project has nearly 40 such text boxes, and it ran OK within previous versions of edge. Now the new version can not run with just one such text box.

The most up to date version of my file works fine within the browser, in fact if you press the down arrow it will run much faster within the browser.

What is so frustrating is I can not even open the file in a previous version of edge, so I am forced to completely rebuild the project!

A couple of things I have noticed in the new version is the Edge seems to be using more than one core of my quad core processor, where as before it used only one. You would think this would double or triple the previous performance.

There are also multiple instances of "edge animate helper.exe" running, which is different from the version I ran before.

• 5. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
                  elainecc Adobe Employee

Hey, drsqueegee-

Don't worry about the Edge Animate Helper.exe - those should be running.  Thanks for isolating the hang for us - it helps us a lot in trying to reproduce the issue.  Just to clarify - you created these in 1.5?  Did you work on this project in the previous version of CC (2.0.1) at all?

Thanks,

-Elaine

• 6. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
                    elainecc Adobe Employee

Just an update: I've been able to reproduce the problem have filed a bug; one of our developers is looking at it right now.

Thanks,

-Elaine

• 7. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
                      drsqueegee Level 1

I don't believe I used any other version of CC.

• 8. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
                        drsqueegee Level 1

That's very much appreciated.

Thank you!

• 9. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
                          elainecc Adobe Employee

Okay, thanks!

-Elaine

• 10. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
                            AHachey

I'm having similar issues with a heavy project.  It seems like the more pages and images I add the more unstable Edge becomes.  It will save my project file but will refuse to write any of the JS files resulting in lossed work.  Happens 2-3 times a day.  Is there a patch that will help with the stability of EACC?

• 11. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
                              elainecc Adobe Employee

Hey, AHachey-

What we've seen is that everyone's reporting a slightly different problem.  Can you send me your project files so that I can try them out on my machine?  It helps if we can get sample files to isolate the issues.

Thanks,

-Elaine

• 12. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
                                drsqueegee Level 1

Hi Elaine,

Just wondering if any progress has been made on this particular bug? That is... a text box with many line breaks causing Edge CC 3 to hang.

Thanks,

Greg

• 13. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
                                  elainecc Adobe Employee

Hey, Greg-

It's an open bug right now for the next version of Animate, which means that it'll be handled as a part of the next release cycle.  Unfortunately, we aren't looking at it for an immediate fix.  Thanks,

-Elaine

• 14. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
                                    drsqueegee Level 1

Hi Elaine...thanks,I understand you can't re-release a version with every bug fix, but I do have a few questions...

1. Has any progress been made on this specific problem?
                                    2. Is there any estimate for when the next release may be?
                                    3. Is there a way for me to reverse my update, and be able to open the existing file (a file that has been saved with EA 3 cc) with an older version?

Thanks,

Greg

• 15. Re: Edge keeps crashing (cc version)
                                      drsqueegee Level 1

Hi Elaine,

I have been very busy for the 6 months. I want to continue working on my project this coming winter. I would like to download edge cc 2014, but I would like to know if the if the issue described in this thread has been resolved in the latest release.

As a reminder the issue was that edge would crash if a text box contained many line breaks.

Thanks,

Greg