9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2014 12:29 PM by ECBowen

Question regarding a Mac Purchase?

C_Thorn3 Level 1

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a Mid-2012, 2.9Ghz Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM, 1TB HHD MacBook Pro for College. I would like to know how this unit will perform while running such Adobe Applications such as After Effects, and Premiere. Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Question regarding a Mac Purchase?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Retina Display will out perform the basic MacBookPro of this vintage, but the box will work just fine if you load it up with RAM. A laptop is not a workstation, but I've used one as my primary freelancing tool for a very long time. The older MBPros are really easy to add memory to. Get as much as will fit...add a hybrid drive and get a good external drive with TB port if your machine has one. I use the Seagate Thunder Bolt adaptor ($90) and bare Hybrid Segate drives all the time. Cheap, amazingly fast, and reliable. If you have some extra dough get a SSD drive. The TB adaptor will run that just ine also.

• 2. Re: Question regarding a Mac Purchase?
            C_Thorn3 Level 1

Interesting, thank you for your advice. I do not have enough money for the Retina Display Macbooks, nor do I wish to spend that much on one, as it is a Laptop. I would like the portability, so I don't really want a Desktop. I don't really care how fast it boots up, or how fast it is to render a video, as long as I can edit without it becoming slow and laggy, then clamps up, up, I'm fine.  So It would be able to handle intense graphics and stuff that you can do in After Effects, like using the Pen tool to make 3 or 4 of someone in the same shot? If it can do that, I'm okay! Also, I am picking the Mid-2012 one over the Retina for a number of reasons other than the price. It has a super-drive, and a Ethernet port, just to name a few.

I have a few more questions regarding this machine. First off, would it be able to handle extremely intense programs like Avid or Cinema 4D? Also, I don't really want to afford an SSD, as they are rather expensive, I understand that the durability of a HDD is not so great, but what are the chances of it messing up If I take it to school each day? I'd like to have the storage for all my media and everythig I need to get in to the course I'm taking.

Thanks again!

Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2014 17:29:25 -0800

To: sniper_kid500@hotmail.com

Subject: Question regarding a Mac Purchase?

Re: Question regarding a Mac Purchase? created by Rick Gerard in After Effects - View the full discussion

The Retina Display will out perform the basic MacBookPro of this vintage, but the box will work just fine if you load it up with RAM. A laptop is not a workstation, but I've used one as my primary freelancing tool for a very long time. The older MBPros are really easy to add memory to. Get as much as will fit...add a hybrid drive and get a good external drive with TB port if your machine has one. I use the Seagate Thunder Bolt adaptor ($90) and bare Hybrid Segate drives all the time. Cheap, amazingly fast, and reliable. If you have some extra dough get a SSD drive. The TB adaptor will run that just ine also.

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6077097#6077097

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6077097#6077097

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6077097#6077097. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in After Effects at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 3. Re: Question regarding a Mac Purchase?
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

See this page for information about hardware for Premiere Pro and After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

• 4. Re: Question regarding a Mac Purchase?
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I've been using MacPros for years to do all kinds of very complex projects in AE from visual effects for feature films and TV to commercials and web video. The laptop is just going to be a little slower and take longer to render. Your workspace is smaller (screen size) and you have to learn how to work efficiently.

I was freelancing a while ago to help a company complete a bunch of complex compositing, roto, and keying shots using a 6 year old Mac Pro with only 8GB ram while the full time employee was hammering out a project on a brand new hot rod PC loaded with SSD drives and memory. We were both doing the same thing to the footage using a design bible to keep the work consistent.

Because of his work habits and the way he constantly pushed the machine to and beyond its limits by running ram previews of almost every change at full resolution and several other very bad habits his work was slow and frustrating.  Several times during the day I heard cussing and pounding on the desk. At lunch I had to listen to his complaints about Adobe, AE, and the ridiculously poor performance.

At the end of a 10 hour shift to meet a deadline I turned out 8 complicated shots, he turned out 3. If you are going to work with AE, no matter how powerful your machine, you have to learn how to work efficiently or you will be constantly frustrated. His only problem is that he never learned how to properly use the tools.

One more hint.... If you are going to respond to this forum using e-mail please delete the original message before replying by email. It just clutters up the forum.

• 5. Re: Question regarding a Mac Purchase?
                  C_Thorn3 Level 1

I've been thinking about what you said, and I'm wondering if I should now maybe start to look at the 13" Retina Macbook.

Here is one that I have looked at. Please tell me what you think. As I do need assistance with this, and I'm very appreciative of your assistance with helping me.

Late 2013 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display.

2.8GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.3GHz

16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM

1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage

Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide

P.S, thanks for the hint about the E-mail reply, I see what you mean now about clutter, thanks for that!

• 7. Re: Question regarding a Mac Purchase?
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

If you want decent performance with AE then a quad mobile CPU and 16 GB of ram are your 2 main factors. Anything less will limit your workflow or slow you down especially with AE and C4D.

Eric

ADK

• 8. Re: Question regarding a Mac Purchase?
                      C_Thorn3 Level 1

Thank you for your support in helping me make this decision, just one last question that is  kind of off topic.

If I were to download the trial for a CC application on a Windows machine, and use it for the trial period, then try to download the trial version of the same Application on a Mac machine, would I be able to use the application for 30 more trial days if the trial on the Windows Machine ran out?

• 9. Re: Question regarding a Mac Purchase?
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

I have been able to do that with 2 Windows systems so I dont see why you cant with OSX and Windows. Keep in mind the Windows based system will likely be better than the MBP for AE though. Dont expect the same performance unless their both laptops and even then its not a definite.

Eric

ADK