5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2014 5:29 PM by hurleyvcr

Drive sizes

hurleyvcr Level 1

I'am going to buid a new system with a asus pro board and a 477k processor(possably overclock later)

Drive 1  I'am going to use a 256gb samsung ssd..for os and programs

Drive 2- 128gb  samsung ssd... scratch and cashe...big enough?

Drive 3  1TB wd black 7200...projects...?

Drive 4  1TB wd black 7200...exports...?

Drive 5  500Gb wd black 7200...?

Drive 6 500GB wd black 7200...?

and lots of external drives for back-up(not concerned with loosing media)

I use premier pro just for home projects and work with avchd files 1080 60p

My thought was to just delete the scratch and cashe files from drive 2 when I am finished the project.

I know media would use the most drive space but how do the others compare for using drive space.

• 1. Re: Drive sizes
          cc_merchant Level 4

Drive 1  I'am going to use a 256gb samsung ssd..for os and programs as long as it is a Samsung 840 Pro, not the EVO

Drive 2- 128gb  samsung ssd... scratch and cashe...big enough? Too small, think 256+ GB. With only a few smallish projects this is what I currently use:

Media Cache.png

Drive 3  1TB wd black 7200...projects...? OK

Drive 4  1TB wd black 7200...exports...? Use this for media.

Drive 5  500Gb wd black 7200...? Use this for exports. They are far smaller than the original media.

Drive 6 500GB wd black 7200...? If Drive 2 is too small, use this for previews.

• 2. Re: Drive sizes
            hurleyvcr Level 1

Straight to the point answer...thanks alot,I will do that.

• 3. Re: Drive sizes
              hurleyvcr Level 1

Another question...Iam going to move My docs,pics,movies,music,dwn loads ect. from my boot drive to what drive would be best?

• 4. Re: Drive sizes
                cc_merchant Level 4

Drive 6.

• 5. Re: Drive sizes
                  hurleyvcr Level 1

Ok, I have got a good understanding of the disk configuration that I will use, but what would be a typical size of the files that would be produced if I edited say a 1 hour video in avchd @ 1920 x1080 with no effects.

For Projects?

For Scratch?

For Exports?

For previews?

For cashe files?

For media...I know this one.

Also what order would you place them from fastest to slowest  read and write speeds requirement?