3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 1, 2014 11:17 PM by Rick Gerard

How to keep selection or Mask etc. centered in the viewer, like Mocha's Stabilize view button?

dancemantron Level 1

Hello AE Community,..

appreciate all your time saving answers, whether a specific solution or confirming what can't be done, its all good.

I hoped there is a tool or method in AE like the "Stabilize View" button in Mocha: it keeps a selection or Mask etc. centered in the viewer thru entire footage?

Thanks again,

Jeff

• 1. Re: How to keep selection or Mask etc. centered in the viewer, like Mocha's Stabilize view button?
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

After Effects has a stabilizer built in.

Screen Shot 2014-02-01 at 8.48.27 PM.png

I use it all the time for Roto work and then remove the stabilization and apply it to the mask... See this:

• 2. Re: How to keep selection or Mask etc. centered in the viewer, like Mocha's Stabilize view button?
            dancemantron Level 1

Thanks Rick,..

i should be stabilizing before tracking and applying to masks anyway, thought it might be overkill compared to Mocha's Stabilize view button, but you reminded me how quick stabilizing is in AE. I'll try it, i also tried:

- copy\paste "Mask Path" keyframes into Position property of Null Object. Then "Pick Whip" Camera Positon and\or P.O.Interest to null Obj Position,

- parenting Camera to Null containing mask path position data,

...besides AE's stabilizer, the only and easiest thing to work was a few 3d camera keyframes manually aligning  its Pos.\P.O.Interest with a magnified roto or feature target thru the footage.

Please let me know of ANY other quick tools or methods to do this?

J

• 3. Re: How to keep selection or Mask etc. centered in the viewer, like Mocha's Stabilize view button?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

i should be stabilizing before tracking and applying to masks anyway

This depends entirely on the shot. In the example above I wanted to mask the dog so stabilizing around the dog's eyes made the roto much easier. I've done shots where I stabilized the camera movement before masking when the camera is moving and I want to mask things that are not moving. I've stabilized a face, eyes, a pencil, and a phone in someone's hand in just the last two weeks, applied masks, then removed the stabilization, applied the stabilization info to the track matte, and then continued on with the composite.

Then there's the subject of warp stabilizing... In my opinion, a handy tool for some shots and completely useless for things like roto. You should use the most pristine, most original footage for masking, roto, or keying and then, after the shot and most of the time the composite is done, apply Warp Stabilizer if you want to use it. In all of my production experience Warp Stabilizing as a first step has only been a good idea on about five or six shots.