5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2006 5:36 AM by nwebb.co.uk

Build Issue (Flex 2.0 beta 3)

nwebb.co.uk
      Hi, I've just installed the new beta and latest player (9,0,0,296). I am using the non-plugin version.
      I created the tutorial app. Everything looked fine in design view but nothing was showing in my browser when a ran it.

I have since discovered that I have to do a Project -> clean... every single time I change anything.
      I have tried turning Build Automatically off and performing a manual build - it doesn't seem to build (nor with Build Automatically on. Clean seems to force a build.

I'm on WinXP, SP2.
      Any ideas?
        • 1. Re: Build Issue (Flex 2.0 beta 3)
          Level 7
          Mortimer Jazz wrote:
          > Hi, I've just installed the new beta and latest player (9,0,0,296). I am using
          > the non-plugin version.
          > I created the tutorial app. Everything looked fine in design view but nothing
          > was showing in my browser when a ran it.
          >
          > I have since discovered that I have to do a Project -> clean... every single
          > time I change anything.
          > I have tried turning Build Automatically off and performing a manual build -
          > it doesn't seem to build (nor with Build Automatically on. Clean seems to force
          > a build.
          >
          > I'm on WinXP, SP2.
          > Any ideas?

I know there was some issue in beta 3 with doing incremental compile on
          folders that contained the word "generated", but that doesn't sound like
          it's the problem here...

Are you using an existing workspace (or an existing project) from a
          previous build?

Are you using standalone or the plugin version? If you're using the
          plugin, which versions of Eclipse and the JVM are you using?

Does this problem persist if you restart FlexBuilder?

And for the total stab in the dark... is there stuff in the project's
          output directory (probably 'bin' unless you've set up something
          different) that's read-only or that has been locked by FlexBuilder or
          another application? I have no idea if this is relevant, but it occurs
          to me that clean might get around a file access problem, since it's
          forcing stuff to be deleted.

Rebecca - Adobe
          • 2. Re: Build Issue (Flex 2.0 beta 3)
            nwebb.co.uk Level 1
            Hi Rebecca, thanks for the quick response :)
            I tried a totally clean install and then followed the tutorial step-by-step with the same results. The word "generated " isn't in the folder, and it's not using a previous workspace. I'm using the latest standalone version with the latest plugin.

Yes, the problem persists even after a complete reboot. I will check the permissions when I get back to work tomorrow, but it being a permissions problem occurred to me too. I remember thinking it was the HTML, until I realised that viewing the swf directly showed the same problem. I can't remember 100% if I checked the read-only status of the swf but i think I did. I will confirm this as soon as I get back to work.

I am on a Dell machine though - they always seem to give me problems! ;)
            • 3. Re: Build Issue (Flex 2.0 beta 3)
              Level 7
              Another thing to try... see if you can reproduce this problem without
              actually going step-by-step through the tutorial. Create a blank
              project and just copy the files into it from another location. Try
              running it, then make a small (but visible) change and try running it a
              second time.

Mortimer Jazz wrote:
              > Hi Rebecca, thanks for the quick response :)
              > I tried a totally clean install and then followed the tutorial step-by-step
              > with the same results. The word "generated " isn't in the folder, and it's not
              > using a previous workspace. I'm using the latest standalone version with the
              > latest plugin.
              >
              > Yes, the problem persists even after a complete reboot. I will check the
              > permissions when I get back to work tomorrow, but it being a permissions
              > problem occurred to me too. I remember thinking it was the HTML, until I
              > realised that viewing the swf directly showed the same problem. I can't
              > remember 100% if I checked the read-only status of the swf but i think I did. I
              > will confirm this as soon as I get back to work.
              >
              > I am on a Dell machine though - they always seem to give me problems! ;)
              >
              • 4. Re: Build Issue (Flex 2.0 beta 3)
                nwebb.co.uk Level 1
                Morning. Okay, I *think* I did what you were asking me to do.
                I created a new project through Flex called "test". I then deleted the test.mxml file and replaced it with one I created in notepad (originally saved on my desktop, then dragged in to the folder). the content was as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
                <mx:Application xmlns:mx=" http://www.adobe.com/2006/mxml" layout="absolute">
                <mx:Label text="Welcome to Flex!" />
                </mx:Application>

It published fine first time, but again, when I changed the text, the change wasn't relected (it didn't seem to re-build at all).

I checked the permissions on each file/folder. The test folder and its subfolders are all read-only, but the mxml file and sfw are not. I changed the permissions on the folders but they seem to reset to 'read only' after I press run.

• 5. Re: Build Issue (Flex 2.0 beta 3)
                  nwebb.co.uk Level 1
                  Well well....
                  It turned out to be a problem with the new version of ZoneAlarm which we all installed yesterday (we have all been experiencing odd caching-like problems with a variety of programs.) Zonelabs chucked out an update today and it's resolved all our issues!

Thank you for all your support and suggestions :)
                  Cheers,
                  Neil