6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 2, 2014 10:11 AM by donbarrum

Render completes prematurely in Multithread rendering

donbarrum Level 1

Has anyone else experienced the video to just complete prematurely when rendering using multiple cores ?

FOr me it happens often, especially when Im trying to do other stuff while After effects is rendering.

Any tips on how to avoid this ?

• 1. Re: Render completes prematurely in Multithread rendering
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Without knowing your exact settings and system specs nobody can know, but you probably simply run out of memory and the background render processes as well as possibly even the auxiliary QTserver and DynamicLink components shutting down.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Render completes prematurely in Multithread rendering
            donbarrum Level 1

Thanks, but it never exceeds about 50% of my ram while rendering.

And its often simple movies, even as simple as a video file rendered out with a different codek. Also AE doesnt give any warning, just the completed sound. And, if I render again it might just work.

My specs are iMac late 2012, with Mountain Lion. 32gb of ram, 3.4 GhZ Core i7, GTX 680MX, and 768 gb SSD

• 3. Re: Render completes prematurely in Multithread rendering
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are not rendering an image sequence turn off MP rendering... It's better than it used to be but still way too picky to use on all projects.... Without knowing the details of your project, the Output Module settings, the source footage, the plug-ins used, and the version of AE that's the only thing I can think of that might work. I only say might work because I do not know anything at all about your project so there may be something  else wrong.

We only know about your OS and ram. That's about 1% of the info we need...

• 4. Re: Render completes prematurely in Multithread rendering
                donbarrum Level 1

thanks, ok. No I dont think its projects dependent. It can happen on a project being only a qt movie imported rendered out again and it happens on large projects using Element 3d and many other plugins. I don´t think that´s what´s causing it. It seems the Multi core renderer is unstable, at least for me.

• 5. Re: Render completes prematurely in Multithread rendering
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It's not just you. MP rendering only works for projects where every piece of the project supports MP rendering. Many codecs cause problems. Many, if not most 3rd party plug-ins cause problems. It's not just you, it's  that very few projects will benefit from Rendering Multiple Frames Simultaneously. I never use it unless I'm rendering to an image sequence. 80% of the time I use AME to render so that I can keep working while rendering. Only about 20% of my projects render when I'm not actively working on my machine. I can't afford the time to do it any other way.

• 6. Re: Render completes prematurely in Multithread rendering
                    donbarrum Level 1

AME to render, what is this. Is it possible to keep working in AE while rendering ?

Ok I shut of multi thread rendering. Its not plugins or the codecs, since every 2/3 of the time it manages to complete it, and then renders faster. So, I think the multithread feature is unstable, and easily stops.