20 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 9:25 PM by A.T. Romano

Delete clip and close gap

P.Konrad Level 1

In Premiere Elements 11: -when I will delete a picture from the timeline in single picture show, the “delete and close gap” from edit menu or delete tab -only delete the picture, BUT DOES NOT CLOSE THE GAP!!!!

What’s wrong?

• 1. Re: Delete clip and close gap
          A.T. Romano Level 7

P.Konrad

Do you have content above or below the track where you are wanting to do the "Delete and Close Gap"?

Please show a screenshot of the Expert workspace Timeline involved.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...If your picture is on Video 1 and you have files on Video 2, this may explain what you are seeing.

More later.

• 2. Re: Delete clip and close gap
            P.Konrad Level 1

Hej Romano.

I have only my pictures in Video 1 and music in sound track under the video track.

Poul

• 4. Re: Delete clip and close gap
              A.T. Romano Level 7

P.Konrad

I have gone over and over the track situation that you present and cannot confirm your results. The only way I get what you present is if I use the Delete instead of Delete and Close Gap.

If you scroll the tracks so that you can view any content for tracks above Video 1, do you find anything? How many video tracks are you working with and are they all opened so you can see the content of each.

What happens if you open a new project with the same content (or situation pictured), do you get the same results with Delete and Delete and Close Gap?

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Delete clip and close gap
                the_wine_snob Level 9

With that soundtrack below, the "close gap" is not likely to work.

Just Select (lasso the following Clips with the Cursor) the Video Clips to the right of the gap, then drag them to the left, to manually close the gap. If you have Snap turned ON, when you have butted those following Clips to the one on the left, they will snap into place.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: Delete clip and close gap
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hunt

What is so different between that specific soundtrack and any other?

I road tested with various soundtracks in the scenario presented and Delete and Delete and Close Gap worked as advertised?

ATR

• 7. Re: Delete clip and close gap
                    the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

The soundtrack covers the gap, though it is displayed below the Video. From my experimentation with Delete and Close Gap, the "close gap" part only works when there is nothing, including an Audio Clip, that is not part of a muxed AV file, above, or below the gap. PrE sees, and acts only on a clean gap, with no other material over, or above it. Do you get a different behavior?

Hunt

• 8. Re: Delete clip and close gap
                      the_wine_snob Level 9

ATR,

I stand corrected. Just did several tests, with a similar layout, and the gap DID close in those instances.

Sorry about that - ignore what I wrote previously.

Hunt

[Edit] Went back to PrE 4 (much earlier version), and the soundtrack DID cause the gap to not close - obviously, PrE has grown smarter, regarding the closing of a gap, so I learned something new. I assumed, incorrectly, that the behavior was the same with newer versions.

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - Added [Edit]

• 9. Re: Delete clip and close gap
                        P.Konrad Level 1

Notice please the orange (yellow) line with gaps in the first screen jump between time line and the first track, -it is split with green lines.

In the screen jump next the line is orange (yellow) all over, -AND here works the delete and close gap!!!!!

Poul

• 11. Re: Delete clip and close gap
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

P.Konrad

The first screenshot that you posted showed the "orange" over the transitions suggesting that you had not rendered the Timeline transitions to get the best possible preview after you applied the transitions. In that state, I had no problems with Delete and Delete and Close Gap in my tests here.

In the second screenshot that you posted showed the complete Timeline content rendered...no "orange", just "green" which implies that you are now seeing the best possible preview. Again, in this state, I had no problems with Delete and Close Gap in my tests here.

From what you just wrote, it sounds like you had problems with Delete and Delete and Close Gap in the first case (with transitions unrendered), but did not when the whole Timeline content was rendered. Is that correct? If so, I cannot confirm that difference.

The first and second screenshots do not appear to show the same clips and are probably located at a different portion of the Timeline. In that case, I am still guessing that you have content above that portion of the Timeline where you are having the problem.

Right now it sounds like you have everything working. That is important. But, I would ask you to look into what I have just written to detemine if any of it applies to your specific situation.

Many thanks for the follow ups.

I have misintepreted any of your details and results, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Thank you.

ATR

• 12. Re: Delete clip and close gap
                            P.Konrad Level 1

There is nothing over and under the video track. But I have "fade out and fade in" in the sound track. When I did the "delete and close gap" before that point -it did'n work, -but it did AFTER! Can this be the problem?

Please see the screen jump.

Thanks a lot fore your help!!!!!

• 14. Re: Delete clip and close gap
                              P.Konrad Level 1

Hej Bill

Thanks for particitate in my problem!

But lasso "the following" picture is a great work. I have about 600 pictures after, and I have to work with "delete and close gap" several times in my project.

Poul

• 15. Re: Delete clip and close gap
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

P.Konrad

Tonight I have done some more work on trying to define the whys for your Delete and Close Gap issue.

Based on tonight's results, the Fade In and Fade Out audio do not appear to be involved as we previously suspected.

The cause of the problem is pointing to more than one audio file on the audio track and whether those stills for the Delete and Close Gap are over the first or second audio clip.

I need to define the matter further by adding more audio files and determining if the latest interpretation holds up to further testing.

More later.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                                • 16. Re: Delete clip and close gap
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

P.Konrad

I do not have all the whys, but this is what is happening when one goes to use "Delete and Close Gap" for a Video 1 video or still that is positioned over an audio track (Audio 1, Narration, or Soundtrack) with multiple audio files in it.

Given that you have 7 stills over 1 audio clip, followed by 7 stills over the second audio clip, followed by 7 stills over the third audio clip, followed by 7 stills over the fourth audio clip.

For each of these groups, if you use "Delete and Close Gap" on the 4th still in each group, you get the following result...

From left to right

1st group, Deletes still, but gap is not closed automatically.

2nd group, Deletes still, but gap is not closed automatically.

3rd group, Deletes still, but gap is not closed automatically.

4th group, Delete and Close Gap works.

If you started deleting the groups one by one, from 4th to lst, it will be only the last group where the Delete and Close Gap will work. And, when all the groups are deleted except 1st, then 1st group Delete and Close Gap works.

Please give it a try to see if you get the same results.

Thanks.

ATR

1 person found this helpful
                                  • 17. Re: Delete clip and close gap
                                    P.Konrad Level 1

I do! It is always the last standing group where "delete and close gap" works.

This must be a problem Adobe have to fix in an update. Right?

Poul

• 18. Re: Delete clip and close gap
                                      nealeh Level 5

The Elements family usually operates on an annual release cycle so, other than camera RAW updates, program updates are very rare.

But if you report the problem at http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family it may have a chance of being fixed in PRE13.

Cheers,
                                      --
                                      Neale
                                      Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 19. Re: Delete clip and close gap
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

P.Konrad

Thanks for the reply and confirmation on the Delete and Close Gap matter.

Based on history on this type of thing, I see no hopes of a "patch" for Premiere Element 11.

As for corrective action in a version beyond 12, I think it highly unlikely since I can see this specific "Delete and Close Gap" situation as far back as Premiere Elements 10 and extending to include 12. I have not checked for this in versions earlier than 10 yet.

But, we are not Adobe here so we can only speculate on any corrective action for this kind of thing. But, history is on our side with the guess of nothing will be done.

Thanks for asking such an interesting question. We will continue to explore the matter.

ATR

• 20. Re: Delete clip and close gap
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

P.Konrad

I just finalized my report on Premiere Elements 11 Timeline Delete and Close Gap failures that you brought to our attention.

The report can be found in my blog post

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe-delete-and-close-gap-failures.html

It has been checked and triple checked. But, please do not hesitate to ask if you have questions about what I have written or need clarification on it.

Thanks.

ATR