1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 2, 2014 10:45 AM by A.T. Romano

Merging MP4 clips and saving as MP4 in PE8

John Newbie

In PE8, I imported several MP4 clip segments that are part of an entire MP4 movie.  I placed them in sceneline view.  The only option I could save it was a PE file and I would have to watch it using PE.  The clip scenes played back slow and seemed distorted.  How can I successfully merge the clips in order, save it as an MP4 file so that it can be watched independent of PE and playback as the original full movie in it's HD resolution.  My max resolution on my monitor is 1920 x 1080.  Thanks.

• 1. Re: Merging MP4 clips and saving as MP4 in PE8
          A.T. Romano Level 7

John Newbie

What are the properties of these .mp4 clip segments (video and audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, and pixel aspect ratio)?

For now I am assuming you have Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on some version of Windows and your video is

1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second and are working from an NTSC setup

Open Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 and set the project preset to

NTSC

AVCHD

HD 1080i30

Set to work in the Timeline workspace.

When you export,

Mobile Phones and Players

Apple iPod and iPhone

with Presets = iPod and iPhone

Under the Advanced Button/Video Tab set the Exporting Settings to look like

PE8.JPG

Start off by setting the Profile = High and Level = 5.1 before adjusting the rest of the settings to look

as in the screenshot.

You will end up with a H.264.mp4 clip (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second).

Please review. If you have any questions or need clarification do not hesitate to ask.

There are many many more details in Premiere Elements setup, importing, editing, and export by let us start here.

And, be sure to be working from the 8.0.1 Update with the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalyzer

features turned off.

Thanks.

ATR