7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 19, 2014 1:14 PM by Radar Contact

Adobe DNG Converter v 8.1

Radar Contact

I have recently downloaded the above converter onto my Mac.  When converting RAW from my Lumix G-6 the DNG file size is just over 3x the RAW file size.  I have not opted to embed the RAW file with the DNG file.  On most forums I read that the DNG file (lossless compression) should be slightly less then the RAW file size so why is mine so big?  I noticve that on the 'Read Me' for the download it says that it is suitable for Mac v 10.6 - 10.8.  Mine is 10.9 Mavericks.  Could this be a problem so that the download is being corrupted somewhere?

<moved by mod from downloading,installing,setting up - kglad>

• 1. Re: Adobe DNG Converter v 8.1
          Jeff Arola Adobe Community Professional

You should use the 8.3 dng converter

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5695

What version of photoshop do you have?

It sounds like you have the Compatibility settings set for something older than Camera Raw 7.1

Untitled-1.png

• 2. Re: Adobe DNG Converter v 8.1
            Radar Contact Level 1

Hi Mr Kelly,

Thanks so much for your email. 

I have PS Elements 10 - the RAW plug-in is not the correct version for my DMC-G6, so I would need to move to Elements 12 to get correct RAW plug-in for the camera. That’s quite expensive.

However, the v8.1 which I have downloaded does include the DMC-G6 (from the list on the Adobe site).

Yes - you are right (of course)!  I had the Compatibility set to 4.1 and greater (because I thought it would cover most things).  Looking at your enclosed picture I changed the Compatibility to 7.1 and have just loaded another RAW picture from the camera - BINGO!  The RAW file size is 19.7MB and the DNG is 13.6MB! No more files at 3x the size!

Thanks so much for your expertise!

Best regards,

Tony

• 3. Re: Adobe DNG Converter v 8.1
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Radar Contact wrote:

Hi Mr Kelly,

Thanks so much for your email. 

I have PS Elements 10 - the RAW plug-in is not the correct version for my DMC-G6, so I would need to move to Elements 12 to get correct RAW plug-in for the camera. That’s quite expensive.

Just as a bit of information for you. It is always best to use the latest version of the DNG converter. It is not necessary to match the DNG converter version with your version Camera Raw. The latest DNG converter will always have the capability to convert files that are compatible with any version of Camera Raw back to version 2.4. All that is necessary is that you choose the appropriate compatibility options in the converter.

• 4. Re: Adobe DNG Converter v 8.1
                Radar Contact Level 1

Jim,

Thanks a lot for the information.  I will download the latest version now.

Radar Contact

• 5. Re: Adobe DNG Converter v 8.1
                  Radar Contact Level 1

Just a small query with ref to setting the Compatibility (in the DNG Converter) to ‘Camera RAW 7.1 and later’, as you suggested. Is there a specific reason why it would be that particular selection (7.1) - apart from the fact that it has sorted out my file size problem?  Will the selection change with further updates of the DNG converter or should I always select the 7.1 from now on?

• 6. Re: Adobe DNG Converter v 8.1
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Updates to the DNG converter are additive or a cumulative. Sometimes it is necessary to set the compatibility back to an earlier version for other software reasons. For instance, if you are using the DNG converter to create files that are compatible with Photoshop CS2 thing you would want to choose compatibility with Camera Raw 2.4. The DNG spec changes and other changes are made that make current DNG files not compatible with older versions of Camera Raw. That could possibly happen to you in the future. It would probably be safe to leave compatibility set to 7.1, but I would make sure that compatibility was at least as early as the version of Camera Raw you are using. And I would also suggest that you use the last version of Camera Raw that was created for your version of Photoshop Elements. I don't use Elements, so I'm not sure what version that would be for you.

• 7. Re: Adobe DNG Converter v 8.1
                      Radar Contact Level 1

Thanks for all your comments.