5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2014 6:28 PM by Claude J RSS

PSE 11 Organizer automatic update

Claude J

Has anyone out there had a problem with the PSE 11 Organizer starting an automatic update when you open the program?  This happens even when I have just minimized the screen and left the Organizer open.  Yesterday it remained in the update status for more than six hours during which time PSE 11 was frozen and I couldn't do anything in it.  I finally had to terminate the program with the task manager, shut down my computer and start all over again.  I'm beginning to get annoyed and would really appreciate hearing from someone with Photoshop. 

• 1. Re: PSE 11 Organizer automatic update
          mytaxsite.co.uk CommunityMVP

Claude J wrote:

Has anyone out there had a problem with the PSE 11 Organizer starting an automatic update when you open the program?  This happens even when I have just minimized the screen and left the Organizer open.  Yesterday it remained in the update status for more than six hours during which time PSE 11 was frozen and I couldn't do anything in it.  I finally had to terminate the program with the task manager, shut down my computer and start all over again.  I'm beginning to get annoyed and would really appreciate hearing from someone with Photoshop. 

You will find that most people here are likely to have Photoshop Elements of some ve3rsion;  this aside, if you are on a windows system, then you should be running as "Standard User" not as Administrator or a user with administrator privileges.  this way Adobe updater cannot update your system without prompting you to login as Administrator.

Also, if I can remember correctly, Adobe Updater has a small checkbox that you need to tick to make sure Adobe notifies you of update before downloading anything automatically.  I can't produce this now because I don't have any update outstanding but if I find a way to replicate this I'll post back.

For now make sure you work as Standard User in a windows system so that you are protected not only from Adobe updates but also from Microsoft updates and from hackers and scammers who all like to install their small piece of software without your knowledge.

• 2. Re: PSE 11 Organizer automatic update
            Claude J Community Member

Thanks for the quick response, but I think my problem is a little different.  I don't think it's an Adobe/Photoshop software update trying to download to my account. 

Instead, it seems to be some kind of catalog update in the organizer itself, maybe because of edits, new photos, deletions, whatever.  This never used to happen and only started unexpected a couple of months ago.  At first it was just an annoying curiosity, now it interferes with my ability to use Photoshop at all while the update is in progress.  I don't know how to stop the process or how to change some setting that will prevent it.  

Back when Photoshop was synchronized with online Photoshop.com there would be similar periods of synchornization updates, but I was able to work in Photoshop while that was going on.  Obviously, that's not happening anymore since Photoshop.com was unfortunately replaced by Revel.   

• 3. Re: PSE 11 Organizer automatic update
              ssprengel CommunityMVP

Please post a screenshot of what you’re seeing, then.

• 4. Re: PSE 11 Organizer automatic update
                99jon CommunityMVP

The updating will relate to the watch folder which you can switch off.

Click the Windows Start button and type the following into the search box

services.msc

Then press return

Disable Active File Monitoring (click image below)

N.B this will stop the automatic updates from the watch folder; so you will need to ensure when saving new files that you also add them to Organizer.

ActiveFileMonitor.jpg

• 5. Re: PSE 11 Organizer automatic update
                  Claude J Community Member

99jon, thanks.  I think this will take care of it.  Maybe the hang up was because I have 25,000 photos in the catalog, some of which are linked through several tiers, and and the updater was having trouble going through those links.  Anyway, disabling it seems to be working so far.