6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 11, 2014 6:33 PM by bnalag

How to Make Video from .bmp files

bnalag Level 1

I want to make a video from a large number of .bmp files.  I imported my bmp files into a new project and successfully created a video.  However, in the video, each bmp file displayed for about four or five seconds and then there was a blank gap of about one second between each bmp file image.  So, a 100 hundred frame bmp video takes approximately 500 seconds to run.  What I want to achieve is basically one bmp file image per frame of video, and 30 fps in the final video. (I will add an audio track later, so not important at this stage).  Can someone please tell me how to do this?  Thank you.

Config: Premiere Elements 11, Win 8.1 on a HP notebook with quad processor.

• 1. Re: How to Make Video from .bmp files
          the_wine_snob Level 9

Welcome to the forum.

First, a few questions:

1. What are the pixel x pixel dimensions of the .BMP files?
          2. What Duration would you like the .BMP files to have? It appears that you have the default Still Duration of 05 sec. set, so if you want more, or less time on the screen, you can alter that.
          3. I have not heard of the black, that you are seeing, but are your .BMP files butted up to one another, or is there perhaps a small gap between them?

Good luck, and please let us know a bit more.

Hunt

• 2. Re: How to Make Video from .bmp files
            bnalag Level 1

Hi Bill,

Thank you for the quick response.  The bmp files are 640x480 pixels.  No, they are not butted up because I did a bulk cut and paste of the bmp files into the media area and this is how Premiere Elements deposited them in the timeline.  Yes, it appears that there is a small gap between each of the bmp files.  I would like each bmp file to show for 1/30 second.  Because of the number of files, it would be difficult for me to set the timing individually for each file, so any way to do a bulk edit of timing would help too.

• 3. Re: How to Make Video from .bmp files
              the_wine_snob Level 9

OK, if you want each .BMP to appear for ~ 1 Frame (1/30 sec. in a 29.97/30 FPS Timeline), let's look at an Image Sequence/Numbered Stills, instead.

First, how are those .BMP Images named? This is important for an Image Sequence via Numbered Stills. They should be numbered, say 0001 through XXXX, where XXXX = the highest number of the series. Let's say that you have have 2000 .BMP's, they would be numbered 0001 through 2000.BMP. Then, make sure that they are in the same folder, and Import those into the Project Panel. When you navigate to that folder, select 0001.BMP, then Image Sequence. This will create a single file, where each BMP will have a Duration of 1 Frame. There will be no individual Images, and no gaps.

Good luck,

Hunt

Message was edited by: Bill Hunt - corrected term

• 4. Re: How to Make Video from .bmp files
                bnalag Level 1

Hi Bill,

The bmp files are numbered in ascending numerical order, so no problem there, and they are all located in the same folder.  I'm afraid I cannot understand the steps for importing the bmp files into the project panel and selecting Image Sequence.  I do not see any Image Sequence option either before or after I use Add Media to import the bmp files.  Thanks.

• 5. Re: How to Make Video from .bmp files
                  the_wine_snob Level 9

In the Add Media>Files & Folders dialog box, look down below the "Windows Explorer" type window, and check Numbered Stills.

Good luck,

Hunt

• 6. Re: How to Make Video from .bmp files
                    bnalag Level 1

I did check the Numbered Stills box at import but it did not change the display duration time for each bmp file - was the same as before.  Is there something else I can do to make each bmp file a single frame in the video?