5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 1:16 AM by PECourtejoie

Camera Raw Update for Nikon D610???

Vogger4

Am new to Photoshop CS6.  Just got a new camera, the Nikon D610 and now see that Camera Raw does not support the 610.  What do I do?  Is there an update?

Thank you.

• 1. Re: Camera Raw Update for Nikon D610???
          Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

It should do if you have the latest Camera RAW update

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

Incidentally, if you have one of the D600 with oily sensor problems, Nikon issued a statment about replacing them with a D610 a few days ago.

• 2. Re: Camera Raw Update for Nikon D610???
            D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Trevor Dennis wrote:

Nikon issued a statment

That's interesting. I have a D800 that has accumulated some oil specks on the sensor. I assume that's what it is since it won't go away with a pressurized air can. It's not normally a problem, but f/16 and up is becoming a bit tricky. Trouble is I don't have a backup camera at the moment, so it'll just have to wait.

I know the problem was much bigger with the D600, which I assume is part of the reason it was so rapidly replaced by a new model.

• 3. Re: Camera Raw Update for Nikon D610???
              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional (Moderator)

Yes, it is more than 'a bit tricky' for D600 owners.  We have two in my camera club, plus others we know about among PSNZ members.  One buddy's camera has been back to Nikon so many times it can find its own way in the dark!  She has had a D610 replacement for a while now.

All DSLRs accumalate sensor spots over time.  My 1DsMK3 is a terror for it.  I usually work carrying both the 1DsMK3 with 24-70mm f2.8L, and a 1DMK4 with 70-200mm f2.8L IS, so don't have to change lenses on the big sensor camera.  But I can still recon on having to clean both cameras after a long weekend gig.

I rarely need to wet clean though, although I did when the cameras were new because of grease and oil from the mirror hinges.  My secret weapon nowadays is an illuminated loupe so I can see where the dust is.  Then I just fish it out with an Arctic Butterfly static brush thingie.

There was a great YouTube video for the D600 where he left it with an interval timer running, so it took a lot of shots without actually doing anything.  He put the exposures together in a time lapse, and you could see the spots build before your eyes. 

• 4. Re: Camera Raw Update for Nikon D610???
                D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Oops, that's bad.

I use prime lenses only (don't even own a zoom), so dust is very much on my mind as I change lenses a lot. I always keep a pressurized air can on my office desk, and one at home. These are absolutely safe as long as you don't tilt or move the can around (or hold it upside down as some do...ouch). I haven't built up the nerve to do wet-cleaning yet.

The specks I do have are probably oil, not dust. Where it comes from I don't know, but I suspect the shutter mechanism.

This is one thing that was actually better in the analog film days. I used to leave my F4 like this between shots (this one I still have):

Nikon F4.png

• 5. Re: Camera Raw Update for Nikon D610???
                  PECourtejoie Adobe Community Professional

You can get the latest version of camera raw by going to Help>Updates in Photoshop.