5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2014 8:52 PM by A.T. Romano

premiere elements 8 crashes when i open the organizer

dent09

I started having the issue after I did a fresh os install, reinstalled premiere elements and restored my catalog. Now I cannot open the organizer without it crashing.

• 1. Re: premiere elements 8 crashes when i open the organizer
          A.T. Romano Level 7

dent09

Let us go through the check list of essentials to get Premiere Elements 8.0 to function properly....

1. Are you working from the 8.0.1 Update of the program? If not, do so.

2. Do you have the automatic Background Rendering and AutoAnalzyer features turned off? If not, do so.

3. If the above do not resolve the issue, have you tried deleting the Elements Organizer 8 settings file?

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you rename from psa.prf to psa.prfOLD.

Make sure you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

4. If the Elements Organizer 8 stays open long enough, can you create a new catalog? (Have you tried to Repair

or Optimize the current catalog?) If you cannot get into the Elements Organizer to create the new catalog, try this:

Go to the Welcome Screen, as you hold down the Ctrl+Alt+Shift keys altogether, click and hold that click for about 15 seconds, then release the click. You should see the Catalog Manager dialog if you move the Welcome Screen out of the way.

5. How many photos and videos do you presently have in the Elements Organizer 8 catalog?

Please review the above and then we can decide what next if necessary.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: premiere elements 8 crashes when i open the organizer
            dent09 Level 1

Thank you for the response.

I did do some research on the topic and saw the other posts regarding it.

I'm sorry for the repost, but i did try these solutions already.

Here is what I came across:

My software is updated, background rendering and autoanalyzing are off, I

cannot find a psa.prf file in the hidden organizer folder. I cannot select

"mark partition active" in my computer management folder. Organizer does

not stay open long enough to repair a catalog and ctrlaltshift and

clicking did not cause a pop up anywhere on the screen.

I do have quite a few HD video files in the organizer which totals about

30gb. My videos are stored on a separate HDD in a partitioned folder and my

adobe software has been on the same drive prior and a different SSD

currently which is what my OS is loaded onto. I was able to tag all of my

videos at one time and view everything until this crash happened. I started

seeing the crash when I reloaded adobe onto my machine and restored my

catalog from the original location that it was saved to.

I don't know if any of that info was helpful, but I'm trying to help steer

you the right way. Thank you for the help so far.

• 3. Re: premiere elements 8 crashes when i open the organizer
              dent09 Level 1

Can you give me more direction. I still have not solved the problem

• 4. Re: premiere elements 8 crashes when i open the organizer
                dent09 Level 1

2. dent09, Feb 6, 2014 5:35 PM   in reply to A.T. Romano

Thank you for the response.

I did do some research on the topic and saw the other posts regarding it.

I'm sorry for the repost, but i did try these solutions already.

Here is what I came across:

My software is updated, background rendering and autoanalyzing are off, I

cannot find a psa.prf file in the hidden organizer folder. I cannot select

"mark partition active" in my computer management folder. Organizer does

not stay open long enough to repair a catalog and ctrlaltshift and

clicking did not cause a pop up anywhere on the screen.

I do have quite a few HD video files in the organizer which totals about

30gb. My videos are stored on a separate HDD in a partitioned folder and my

adobe software has been on the same drive prior and a different SSD

currently which is what my OS is loaded onto. I was able to tag all of my

videos at one time and view everything until this crash happened. I started

seeing the crash when I reloaded adobe onto my machine and restored my

catalog from the original location that it was saved to.

I don't know if any of that info was helpful, but I'm trying to help steer

you the right way. Thank you for the help so far.

• 5. Re: premiere elements 8 crashes when i open the organizer
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

dent09

Sorry that the news is not better. But let us explore troubleshooting possibilities.

1. Let us see if we can find the Elements Organizer settings file named psa.prf.

What is the computer operating system that you are running Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1 on - Windows XP 32 bit, Windows Vista 32 or 64 bit, or Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 32 bit or 64 bit. The path that I gave you to get to the psa.prf file is for Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

and in the Organizer Folder is the psa.prf file that you rename from psa.prf to psa.prfOLD.

Make sure you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

What do you have set up as your Local Disk C? And, when you installed Premiere Elements 8.0/8.0.1, did you let it install to the default which would have been on the Local Disk C.

Have you checked out the following Adobe documents relating to Elements Organizer and catalog troubleshooting

http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop-elements/kb/troubleshoot-system-errors-freezes-photoshop. html

Please take a look at the following thread and look at some of the Windows fixes that are claimed.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/605366

In keeping with this link, if you do not want to bother with the psa.prf file deletion/disabling, instead go the same route as mentioned above, but what we are going to do now is to delete the whole Organizer Folder which I have put in bold text below

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Elements Organizer

Organizer

Make sure you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path. Do not worry, that Organizer Folder will be generated new when you next open the Elements Organizer (and hopefully it will open).

If you cannot see these paths, let me know, and we figure out why you are not seeing them. Have you set the Folder Option "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives" to be active so that you can see these paths.

Hoping there will be a breakthrough using the above,

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks.

ATR