5 Replies Latest reply: Feb 5, 2014 4:00 PM by angelanorth RSS

New printer dialog box in PS5.5? "Printer Features"

angelanorth

Yesterday my Imac 10.7.5 did a software update and now in PS5.5 the printer dialog box has changed: when I go to "print settings" to the right of the image (right under "copies") the next dialog box no longer has "print settings" but rather PRINTER FEATURES with 7 "general" panels - much more complicated and inconsistent than before. PARTICULARLY - I am using NO COLOR ADJUSTMENT - in the old dialog box the color matching pane was grayed out but here the choice (on "general pane 5") is colorsync or vendor with neither grayed out - what to do????

• 1. Re: New printer dialog box in PS5.5? "Printer Features"
          Chris Cox Adobe Employee

You're describing the OS / printer driver dialog, not the Photoshop print dialog.

• 2. Re: New printer dialog box in PS5.5? "Printer Features"
            angelanorth Community Member

Dear Chris, Thanks for your reply.

This is definitely the Photoshop dialog box that I get to within Photoshop when I go to print. I will attach a screen shot.

I have figured out in the meantime that this is Apples/Epson's software update version 2.16 which released last week, bringing the Epson printer drivers to version 9.

Even tho this is an Apple/Epson thing, it has not affected printing in Word, Preview, etc. Only the Photoshop dialog box is changed.

Here is the dialog box open to "general 1" under printer features.print dialog box.jpg

There are 6 "general" panels after that.

I have been going through step-by-step to find the equivalent of my former settings and saving them as presets. Wondering if others have encountered this change in the software.

Thanks

• 3. Re: New printer dialog box in PS5.5? "Printer Features"

To Chris again - it occured to me last night that what you are saying (I think) is that Photoshop is accessing the OS print dialog in the middle of its own program - in other words, the small dialog box is managed by Apple/Epson. Is that correct???

However - when I go to print from Preview, Word, for example, I get the same old dialog box that I always got before, with Print Settings, etc.

Is this a public forum? Any other commenters?

• 4. Re: New printer dialog box in PS5.5? "Printer Features"
                Chris Cox Adobe Employee

The dialog on top is the OS/printer driver dialog (not controlled by Photoshop at all).

The dialog underneath it is the Photoshop dialog.

• 5. Re: New printer dialog box in PS5.5? "Printer Features"

Thanks - I guess I figured that out. And when I took a closer look at the dialog boxes in the other applications, some of them had changed too.

One just wishes that OS software updates would actually be improvements, but this one is poorly designed, imo.

I think I can extrapolate from earlier versions. Basically if I make sure "no color management" is on, then I am letting PS do the color management using installed ICC profiles.

Thanks again for your help!