15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 4:45 PM by WilliamBlo

Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine

WilliamBlo

Hi

Am in APE12. OSX Mavericks.

Importing video from Panasonic HCX920.

All was good.

Suddenly - exactly the same conditions - new clips have lost their audio when played in the TimeLine.

The audio is there and fine if the clip is played when the clip in the Project Assets area is double-clicked and appears in the small window.

Also in Organizer the new clips are not playing audio when previewed in the big window that opens for them.

Old clips from same source are playing fine.

In Properties I cannot see any discernible difference, but I am a newbie and may be missing something.

Thanks for your help.

William

• 1. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
          A.T. Romano Level 7

WilliamBlo

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer? Are all your permissions in order?

When you import your new files are you waiting for any conforming activity (as evidenced by conforming bar at bottom of interface) to complete before you move forward in the project?

Trying going to the Media Cache Files Folder wherever it is in the Mac computer. You should see lots of cfa and pek files.

Your Edit Menu/Preferences/Scratch Disks should give the save location for Media Cache if you do not know where the Media Cache Folder is.

Delete all that is in the Media Cache Files Folder. You should be deleting all of Premiere Elements' conformed audio. The consequences of that will be the program generating new conformed audio files if and when needed.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
            WilliamBlo Level 1

Thanks for your response, ATR.

Quicktime is most recent version.

The cache is virtually empty because this machine is virtually new.  I've been exploring APE for only a few days using just a few clips of 15 seconds of just one person talking.

The clips are so short that I gues your question about 'conforming' isn't relevant...

Thanks again.

William

• 3. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
              WilliamBlo Level 1

Let me add another challenge and possibly something that is useful.

When I am in Project Assets and click on Add Media, the Project Assets area remains and Add Media can only be seen beneath it. I have to minimise Project Assets to be able to see "Videos from Flip or Cameras""

When I then go into "Videos from Flip..." and can see the clips on the camera's SD card, then the Preview window will play the audio from the early clips, but not from the most recent clips.

But, to repeat, when those recent clips are imported into Project Assets and double-clicked, the small window plays the audio. (The clips are also fine in iMovie.)

Thanks again.

William

• 4. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
                WilliamBlo Level 1

And ... if I export the clip (that won't play audio in the TimeLine) from iMovie as an mp4 file; then import it into APE, it WILL play the audio.

So would I be right in saying now that the problem is not with my clip but somewhere inside the APE between Add Media and Project Assets?

More thanks.

Wm

• 5. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

William

Conforming of audio is very relevant even for "short" clips with audio.

And, when you import your video with its linked audio or just audio for the first time, did you observe a conforming bar at the bottom right of the Expert workspace in action? If so, did you wait for the conforming to go to completion before moving forward in the project?

I would delete whatever you have in the Media Cache Files Folder (if the Mac version has one). I am not targeting hard drive space consideration at this point, rather I would like to rule in or out damaged/corrupt conformed audio files.

Under the circumstances, I do not see that happening easily but...

I checked your Panasonic HCX920 video and audio specifications. From what I read you could be recording Dolby Digital 2 or 5.1 channel. Which one are you using? And, what are you setting as the project preset? Are you recording 1080p or 1080i?

Have you checked in Input/Output settings in Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware ASIO? Or the Mac counterpart.

Also, it may be worthwhile to take an in depth look at the properties of the old and the new. The MediaInfo program is the best for that (use Tree View)

http://mediainfo-mac.en.softonic.com/mac

If you decide to pursue that thought, just be careful with your download and install choices to avoid unwanted downloads in the process.

We will be watching for your progress. Some Premiere Elements Mac users may be by with suggestions specific to Premiere Elements on Mac.

ATR

• 6. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
                    WilliamBlo Level 1

Thank you for all your suggestions, ATR.

I wonder if you are missing my point.

The clips DO play in one place of APE but not in another. So the import is fine surely.

Might I ask if you are on the staff of Adobe? If not, how do I get the support of someone in Adobe who knows OSX?

And I am grateful for your suggestions.

Thank you.

Wm

• 7. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

William

I will think about what you have written.

The moderator of this forum is Steve Grisetti who works from Premiere Elements Mac.

I have not seen him on the forum today. I will send him a private message right now to see if we can get you the Mac perspective of your Premiere Elements issue.

More later.

ATR

(I am not affiliated with Adobe in any way. This is not Adobe. It is a Premiere Elements Forum of users trying to help other users.)

• 8. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
                        WilliamBlo Level 1

Thank you so much ATR

(I was told there might be issues with OSX and APE ... but I really like the APE interface...)

• 9. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

William

I have sent the message to SG so we await his arrival in your thread.

There have been numerous problems with Premiere Elements on the Maverick Operating System. Since I am strictly Elements Windows, I do not work with those issues first hand.

But at some meeting ground between us, when I see

So would I be right in saying now that the problem is not with my clip but somewhere inside the APE between Add Media and Project Assets?

from a generalized Premiere Elements perspective that points me directly to "conforming of the audio".

But, I wonder also...you say that your new source video, if converted to .mp4 video in iMovie, plays back in the Edit Mode monitor from the Timeline. But from what I can tell you start with Dolby Digital 2 or 5.1 channel, so what is the audio compression of this file with the .mp4 file extension (wrapper format that wraps the video and audio compression)?

And whatever the audio compression, what are the channels for your audio 2 or 5.1?

Just some thoughts. You need not reply as we wait for a Premiere Elements Mac presence.

Thanks for reading.

ATR

• 10. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
                            WilliamBlo Level 1

To tell you the truth, ATR, I am not much of a techie. So exploring all those questiions you ask would take me up a learning curve, looking for the stuff etc. I could go up that learning curve, but I suspect the problem is not mine! So I will await SG.

Also I'm in the UK so may sign off earlier than you guys/gals who I assume ae in the US.

Wm

• 11. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
                              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I'm sorry, I have no clue what could be causing this.

The camcorder shoots in AVCHD, a very standard format that Premiere Elements should have no problems working with.

What are your Project Settings, as listed under the Edit menu?

Also, can you confirm that your video was shot as 1920x1080 60i stereo -- or, if not, can you advise us of your video's exact specs?

Is your video a .m2ts and not an .mov file?

• 12. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
                                WilliamBlo Level 1

Hi Steve

Which portion of Project Settings do you need?

Video was shot as 1920x1080 60i stereo.

How do I discover whether my video is a .m2ts and not an .mov file?

And to repeat myself: the clips' audio can be heard when double-clicking the Project Asset thumbnail but not in TimeLine. Surely the problem is in the software not the clips.

Thanks.

William

• 13. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
                                  WilliamBlo Level 1

Steve - facing this kind of problem in other software i might uninstal it and reinstal. Do folk do that with APE?

• 14. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
                                    Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Sure. You can do that. But I'm not sure it will resolve this issue.

Can you please tell me your project settings, as listed under the Edit menu?

Do you video files have an m2ts or mov suffix? (You may need to go to your Finder preferences and check the option to Show Filename Extensions to see them.)

• 15. Re: Audio ok in Project Assets but disappears in TimeLine
                                      WilliamBlo Level 1

I hope this is the info you need.

GENERAL

Editing Mode: OSLR

Timebase: 25000 frames / second

VIDEO

FRame size: 1920 Horizontal 1080 verticL

Square pixels (1.0)

No fielld (progressive scan)

Display format 25fps Time code

Title Safe are 20% ...20%

Action safe area 10% ... 10%