5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2014 5:10 AM by JJMack

Not enough memory for Photoshop CC anymore?

mikec82 Level 1

My computer had room for 6 RAM sticks. Up until Friday, I was using 5, for a total of 9GB RAM. After using a program called Speccy to determine my computer's motherboard, I found that I could upgrade to add another of the 2GB sticks that I already had in it. So I bought another one and installed it, hoping to have 11GB now. I plugged it in and it snapped into place. Turned on the computer, and still just had 9GB. There's a seperate section in Speccy that shows my physical memory, which it shows is 7GB, with available physical memory at 4GB.

All that to say, I can hardly do anything in Photoshop anymore! It used to work great. It is not even letting me save a psd document, or make any changes. Says there is not enough memory. So not only have I not increased my RAM, but it's acting worse than ever! Any ideas what may be causing this or what I could try to fix it?

• 1. Re: Not enough memory for Photoshop CC anymore?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

mikec82 wrote:

My computer had room for 6 RAM sticks. Up until Friday, I was using 5, for a total of 9GB RAM. After using a program called Speccy to determine my computer's motherboard, I found that I could upgrade to add another of the 2GB sticks that I already had in it. So I bought another one and installed it, hoping to have 11GB now. I plugged it in and it snapped into place. Turned on the computer, and still just had 9GB. There's a seperate section in Speccy that shows my physical memory, which it shows is 7GB, with available physical memory at 4GB.

Sounds like you need to get your hardware straitened out.  I know little about Mac machines  I use PC machines. When you power up a PC you can normally hit some keyboard key to enter you PC BIOS configuration utility.  In it you should be able to see what memory your machines BIOS sees.  Most modern PC BIOS detects RAM and sets the clock speed used to access ram.  Like my Dell workstation has 40GB of 1600 EECC Ram however the BIOS set the memory speed to 1333 because the dual six core xeon processors I have run at 2GHz.   It sounds like Speccy what ever that is stating you machine has 7GB of ram 3GB are use and 4GB are free.

If you are running Windows right click on computer and click on Properties that should open a window that will show what version of windows your running what processor you have and how much RAM your machine has.

Capture.jpg

• 2. Re: Not enough memory for Photoshop CC anymore?
            mikec82 Level 1

Thanks. My control panel shows I only have 7gb installed, even though originally I had 9gb and was hoping to have 11gb. I am on a Windows 8.1 64-bit machine if that helps. Did I see that you have 40gb RAM on your machine? Incredible!

• 3. Re: Not enough memory for Photoshop CC anymore?

If you have snapped in 11GB of ram to your mother board something is wrong.  Check you memory configuration. There are restriction as to what is supported. Memory configuration vary in what is supported, Often memory of the same type must be use in memory banks.   My machine came from Dell with 4 RAM  sticks 2GB each 1600 ECC each in the first slot next to the two processor so 8GB.  I think each is on a separate buss or channel and that first slot form memory bank 1.  I added 4 8GB stick of 1600 ECC Ram for and additional 32GB. While I have a mix of stick sizes each memory each bank is populated with identical memory sticks. The work station only has 8 memory sockets.  They can use memory sticks up the 16GB in size. So if I had the money and the desire I could install 8 16GB memory stack for a total of 128GB.  I chose cases of wine instead.

Your numbers also seem odd to me but then I'm no expert.   I always though memory was configured in banks with 6 slots I would think you have two or three banks. 2 thee channel banks or three two channel banks.   I can also believe all slots could be independant. but you stated five slots were used for 9GB so something like 4 2GB sticks and a 1 GB stick you stated you added a 2GB stick for a total of 11GB. Yet two thing show you have 7GB of ram installed. You need to take a closer look at your hardware.

What you wrote does not add up why would adding a 2GB stick into your machine cause the RAM used by the machine to drop down in size 2GB to 7GB instead of increasing 2GB in size to 11GB. Check you machine hardware manual about memory configuration supported.

"My computer had room for 6 RAM sticks. Up until Friday, I was using 5, for a total of 9GB RAM. After using a program called Speccy to determine my computer's motherboard, I found that I could upgrade to add another of the 2GB sticks that I already had in it. So I bought another one and installed it, hoping to have 11GB now. I plugged it in and it snapped into place. Turned on the computer, and still just had 9GB. There's a seperate section in Speccy that shows my physical memory, which it shows is 7GB, with available physical memory at 4GB."

• 4. Re: Not enough memory for Photoshop CC anymore?
                mikec82 Level 1

I bought my computer from someone else, which is perhaps what accounts for the odd number of RAM. There are three channels of two. Four sticks at 2GB, and 1 stick at 2GB. Then I purchased another stick at 2GB. I wonder if I bought another stick of 2GB to replace the 1GB, if that would help? All three channels would match. I could have a channel with the two new sticks of 2GB, then the other two channels could have the old 2GB sticks. A friend mentioned the new one might not be getting recognized because I am matching a 1GB stick in the same channel as a 2GB. He wasn't sure but thought it was worth a try.

• 5. Re: Not enough memory for Photoshop CC anymore?

Yes  I think that would help but make sure  all 2GB RAM  stick are the same so type of RAM so they are compatible and have the same physical configuration as the other sticks..