19 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 8:15 AM by WilliamBlo

NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE

fymproductions

Ever since I tried using the Narration tool in Premiere Elements 12, I have had nothing but problems with audio.  The narration tool itself cause Premiere to crash.  I decided not to use it again, but I continue to have problems.  I can hear audio in the clips when i play them through the source monitor, but if I drop it on the timeline, then there is no audio during playback.  I've already checked my audio output settings and I've already tried restarting Elements and my Macbook.  I've even tried to change the audio output devices just to make sure I didn't screw it up when trying to activate the microphone for narration.  Please help!

*NOTE - this is only a problem in the current project.  When I made a new project, it played back fine.  The problem is that I have hundreds of assets that I've renamed with descriptive file names, as opposed to the formatted file name the camera gave them. 

• 1. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE
          A.T. Romano Level 7

fymproductions

Your answer may be the new project.

But, let us see if a Premiere Elements Mac user, like the forum moderator Steve Grisetti, can come to

your assistance with Premiere Elements Mac specific answers.

ATR

• 2. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE
            fymproductions Level 1

Thanks for your quick response.  I would gladly create a new project and be done with it, but as I said, I have hundreds of clips that I have renamed in my project assets window.  If you can tell me a way to move those clips to a new project while keeping the file names I have labeled them with then I would be set.

• 3. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE
              Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

You say that the Narration tool is causing the program to crash, so you stopped using it. Yet you also say that you have narration in your project that plays in the Clip Monitor but not on the timeline?

Am I understanding that correctly? Where did these narration clips come from?

BTW, how much RAM do you have and what processor are you running in that Macbook? Many non-Pro Macbooks are rather underpowered -- built for portability rather than intensive processes like video editing.

• 4. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE
                fymproductions Level 1

Steve,

I do not have narration in my project anymore.  I'm talking about the actual video clips, they play fine through the clip monitor, but no audio on the timeline. 

This is a brand new Macbook Pro that I just bought a month ago.  It has a 2GHz Intel Core i7 processor with memory at 8GB 1600 MHz DDR3.  I am running Mavericks.

• 5. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE

Was this version of Premiere Elements bought in a boxed set, downloaded from Adobe or purchased from the App Store?

• 6. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE
                    fymproductions Level 1

Downloaded from the adobe site.

• 7. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE

You say when you play your media clips on your timeline you don't hear any audio.

But do you see an audio waveform on the clips?

If you open your Audio Mixer (under Tools), do you see the audio registering as the clips play?

Do you have a USB microphone plugged into your computer? If so, try unplugging it.

Also, have you gone to Premiere Elements Preferences/Audio Hardware and check the ASIO settings (Called Default Device on a Mac) to ensure it is configured correctly for your computer? Often a USB microphone can cause these settings to be improperly configured.

• 8. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE
                        fymproductions Level 1

Good morning Steve.

Yes, there is a waveform on the clips.  However, when I open Audio Mixer, I do not see any audio registering. 

Also, I do not have a USB microphone plugged into my computer. 

Finally, I have done the Audio Hardware check.  I have tried using both "Built in Output" and "System Default Input/Output" but neither works. 

Not sure if it helps to know this, but I have also tried to add music files to both Audio 1 track and also Soundtrack track.  Neither one will play back audio on the timeline, even though I can clearly see the waveform on the file.  It also does not register on the audio mixer.  This tells me that it;s definitely an issue with this specific timeline.  Is there any setting or mute button I may have accidentally changed?  None of the mute buttons are checked off in the audio mixer.

• 9. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE

There is no mute button for the timeline that you might have accidentally triggered. So it most likely has something to do with the way the program is interfacing with  your operating system.

You have tried moving this audio to another audio track to see if that makes a difference, right?

Try outputting a test AVCHD file (Publish & Share/comptuer/AVCHD). The audio on that output should work just fine.

I'm sorry but beyond that I just don't know what to recommend. As I've said, when you plug in a USB microphone, the program and operating system sometimes change your output setting and playback temporarily stops working. But if you've removed your USB mic and rebooting and you're still not hearing audio that is clearly there, then something is up that is beyond me. It may mean you'll need to call Adobe tech support.

• 10. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE
                            fymproductions Level 1

Steve - I did try moving the audio on multiple tracks, but the result was the same.  This morning, I chatted with Adobe tech support.  Even they couldn't figure it out.  At this point, I have decided to just bite the bullet and start fresh with a new project.  I will be renaming my source files with the descriptive file names in Finder this time, so that if this happens again, I can easily start fresh again.  Although this time I will definitely avoid the narration tool.  Thanks for your help!  It is much appreciated.  Please let me know if you ever find a solution.

• 11. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE

Sorry I can't be of more help. But glad to hear you've found at least some solution that works.

• 12. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE
                                djepie

I have exactly the same problem!

Created a video based on over 400 clips. Almost ready, just some narration to do. Now I can only hear narration in playback and not the audio track, though I see the audio waves.

Getting crazy!! Never had this in my previous Premiere Elements 9.

Windows 8 64bits.

• 13. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE

Well, if you're on a Windows 8 machine and fymprod is on a Mac, you don't have "exactly' the same problem.

Have you tried what was suggested above -- unplugging your USB microphone and then restarting your computer?

• 14. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE
                                    djepie Level 1

Sorry, using Windows 8 64 bits, but indeed no Mac.

Yes plugged and unplugged headset, restarted pc.

Also created a copy, deleated 95% including narration, made a flash video of it, but that exported video is still mute.

• 15. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE
                                      WilliamBlo Level 1

This is a similar problem to the one I flagged 2 days ago

http://forums.adobe.com/message/6082794#6082794

I too hear audio on the source monitor but not in the timeline.

Also running OSX.

Good news, bad news.

Good news, we can stop wasting hours checking our audio properties.

Bad news, IMHO, is that its a glitch in the APE software.

I'm hoping Steve Grisetti has a conversation with his colleague coders and they come up with a fix.

As I say, I don't think the fault is at our, the users, end. But of course am open to being wrong here.

• 16. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE

I have no colleague coders, William. This is a user to user forum, and I'm just a guy who's been using Premiere Elements for over 10 years (The last four on a Mac) with few if any problems.

If you want to talk to Adobe, you'll need to contact their Tech Support.

• 17. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE
                                          WilliamBlo Level 1

Thanks for putting me straight, Steve.

And thanks too for your input. Much appreciated.

In your experience is there a particular way to get a positive response from Adobe Tech Support? That might sound like a stupid question ...

Thanks again.

• 18. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE

I've never had to work with them. But remember that most of the techs who answer the phone are working from scripted solutions. If you're not happy with the results you're getting, you can ask to speak to a tech manager and they'll give you a higher level support person.l

• 19. Re: NO AUDIO DURING PLAYBACK ON TIMELINE
                                              WilliamBlo Level 1

Thanks for that advice. I'll report back.

But I won't start a conversation with them until I have a relaxed piece of time available and am in the right frame of mind!