2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 4:39 PM by Andrew7D

Build Advice For Canon 7D Video

Andrew7D

Hi All,
      I am needing a new pc for editing home movies and sports highlight videos with footage from my canon 7D. Max movie / highlight video time is around 1.5 hours. I have used windows movie maker but I am done with converting .mov files and would like a better video editing program. Based on what I've read Premiere Elements 12 would be a good fit for me (accepts .mov files, burns to bluray I believe) although I have also read some bluray burners are not recognized in premiere elements and I have not been able to find a hardware compatibility list yet for elements 12. With this video editing need; I have researched the topic and come up with the following build list.

I would appreciate any input on this system. If this is overkill, I would appreciate suggestions on alternative components. I tried to keep the system at $2500 with taxes, shipping, everything.

Thanks,

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor ($565.99 @ SuperBiiz)
      CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 CPU Cooler ($74.99 @ Mwave)
      Motherboard: Asus P9X79 WS SSI CEB LGA2011 Motherboard ($359.99 @ SuperBiiz)
      Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($415.87 @ Amazon)
      Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($199.99 @ Amazon)
      Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ OutletPC)
      Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.99 @ Newegg)
      Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
      Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Black Pearl) ATX Full Tower Case ($99.99 @ Newegg)
      Power Supply: Corsair 860W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
      Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-2209 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($85.99 @ B&H)
      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($137.98 @ OutletPC)
      Monitor: Asus VX229H 60Hz 21.5" Monitor ($140.98 @ Newegg)
      Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK260 Wireless Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($34.64 @ SuperBiiz)
      Other: Adobe Photoshop Elements 12 & Premiere Elements 12 ($90.00)

• 1. Re: Build Advice For Canon 7D Video
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

This is a very powerful machine, 7D! Probably way more powerful than you need! But if it's in your budget, have fun with it.

I  usually recommend that people use this chart to pick a processor, recommending that they get a processor that benchmarks at at least 5000-6000.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

Your processor rates at 13,000!

• 2. Re: Build Advice For Canon 7D Video
            Andrew7D Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your comments and chart.  I recently completed a 1.5 hour highlight movie of my nephew from jr football to highschool using a canon elura 100, canon s95, and 7D with the 7D footage (1080p) making up about 20%.  This was also done in windows movie maker 6.0; win7 OS; intel i7 2600 @ 3.40 GHz; and 8 GB ram.  Per your chart, this cpu has a 8318 mark.  The MSWMM file of this video is 6MB and the created movie file .wmv is 6 GB.  I apologize if I am not conveying this information in the correct way; I am trying to give you an idea of the current pc configuration and the file size I am working with because even though I was able to complete the movie; editing it became extremely frustrating and slow toward the end and crashed multiple times from adding a clip, adding music, or just performing a small edit.  I am willing to pay an extra $100-$150 to avoid this frustration if this was a cpu problem.  I dont know if this was a ram or program issue either.  I just want this new build to work and I guessed on a lot of the components.  I will continue to research this build for performance, cost, and compatibility.

Thank you for your comments.