5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 3:33 PM by Peter Spier

starting a new doc in InDesign

Mattobosino

When I try to start a new document in InDesign CS6 version 8, when I type in the page sizes, the program annoyingly changes the cm into picas (I suppose InDesign has their reason for that, though I would venture that most users are probably more familiar with inches and centimeters, and nobody ever asks, "How many picas is your book?") but then when I then click to have the new document appear, the 28 cm width I wanted comes up as 60-something centimeters.  How can I start a new document with facing pages that measures 21.5cm H and 28 cm W?  and why is it so hard to do something that ought to be easier?

• 1. Re: starting a new doc in InDesign
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can enter any units you like, as long as you specify the unit (as in cm), but ID will automatically convert those units to whatever is set currently for the rulers in the document.

If you want to see cm, or mm, or inches, you should change the ruler units in the prefs with no files open to set the default units.

• 2. Re: starting a new doc in InDesign
            Mattobosino Level 1

Thank you for the answer.  I get that in terms of page size ID insists on using picas instead of units that people tend to actually use and relate to, centimeters and inches, and I accept that there must be some reason for that that I don't  understand.    So I can enter a cm figure and ID will change it to the picas that ID so loves, and then I can tell ID that I want to see cm on the rulers once the document is open.  I get that.  What I don't get is why when I enter 21.5 cm for Height and 28 centimeters for Width, and then ID turns it into picas (presumably that's what it's doing, but wouldn't it be better to let the user use the units he wants to?) the document has neither 21.5 cm height nor 28 cm width.  Could you please tell me what I need to do to create a multi-page document with facing pages that has exactly those dimensions in centimeters?

Thank you.

• 3. Re: starting a new doc in InDesign

ID uses Picas  when the software is installed for the units by default, because there has to be SOME unit used by default, but it can be any unit you like. As I said, edit your preferences.

• 4. Re: starting a new doc in InDesign
                Mattobosino Level 1

thanks.  it sure would be nice if once you set the preferences that you want, to see rulers in inches or centimeters, it just stuck with that and didn't decide to show new docs or other setting options with picas when you have no interest in picas, except for the fury animals that live in the Sierra Nevada.

If a guy sets it to "centimeters" once in the preferences for rulers, why does the program have to go back to picas?  If a guy specifies the dimensions of a new document in centimeters, then why wouldn't the program open the doc in centimeters?  If the guy wanted picas, he probably would have entered picas.  Seems like a design flaw.

• 5. Re: starting a new doc in InDesign

To set the prefs for new files, you must edit the prefs with no files open, as I already said in my first response.