6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2014 11:31 PM by TransPecos

Help! Can't uninstall Photoshop CS3

TransPecos

Had several problems with my workhorse Photoshop CS3, so I decided it was time to reinstall a clean version. Followed uninstall instructions as far as deactivation (which I later learned was unnecessary), but the uninstaller/installer in my utilities folder does nothing . . . except lie there like a dead fish. Adobe won't suport this version, so I came here to forums, but didn't find the exact question answered. Apologies for taking up time and space if it is there and I'm just too dumb to find it. I'm working on a MacBook Pro with OS 10.8.4. I did try installing the cleaner tool, but it appears not to work either. Yes, I just now thought about restarting my computer and will do that while I wait for some kind soul to lend me a hand here. Thanks.

• 1. Re: Help! Can't uninstall Photoshop CS3
          Curt Y Level 7

You need to install from disks or a download.  Do you have the disks and serial number?

• 2. Re: Help! Can't uninstall Photoshop CS3
            TransPecos Level 1

Yes, they are my original disks and number. OMG, how big an idiot can a person be! I guess that comes under the heading of a "stupid question", or alternately, "The simplest answer is the right answer". Anyway, I'll do that now and get back to you . . . it's hard to explain how I could fail to think of that, except for about 8 hours of trying to work today with my corrupted program. The frustration fried my brain.

• 3. Re: Help! Can't uninstall Photoshop CS3
              TransPecos Level 1

Well, it sounded simple. I thought when I went to reinstall CS3 that it would prompt me to uninstall old components. It didn't. I thought it would be apparent to me which folder was the old, deactivated one, but now there's just one, and I don't know if it is the new one and where the old one might have gone. I'm reluctant to start it up and have it explode or something and destroy all the work I've done recently. Is there any way to get the uninstaller off the Photoshop disk so I can remove everything and start fresh?

• 4. Re: Help! Can't uninstall Photoshop CS3
                Curt Y Level 7

Download Adobe Script cleaner and follow instruction.

• 5. Re: Help! Can't uninstall Photoshop CS3
                  TransPecos Level 1

Hi Curt,

At Adobe's website a search for Adobe Script cleaner sends you to Adobe CC Cleanup tool. When I try to run that, it says, "There is no session to delete. The pulldown menu gives you a choice of CS versions. When I click on CS3, the button at the bottom of the window is grayed out, can't be clicked. There is an version info document in the same folder as the application. It reads  error on line 1 at column 14: String not started expecting ' or " I thought a few hours away from this might sharpen my brain--didn't work. Is there a manual uninstall procedure I could follow?

• 6. Re: Help! Can't uninstall Photoshop CS3
                    TransPecos Level 1

Hi Curt,

Well I finally fixed the problem, in a very convoluted way. I loaded Photoshop CS3 from the disk, then I went to my utilities folder and used the new uninstaller to remove, apparently, part of the problem. The uninstaller promptly vanished again. I went to Photoshop and tried to open it . . . the serial number and activation code were already entered in the boxes which made me think the old corrupted version was still there. I tried to open an image, Photoshop started loading and I got a "fatal error" page. Having no better ideas I tried installing it from the disk again, and duplicated the uninstall app which just created another alias, and duplicated the other item in the folder which generated an alias for the Setup app, then I clicked on the  Setup alias and it launched a different installation program which offered the choice of installing, or reinstalling Photoshop CS3--an option I hadn't been given before. So I clicked on reinstall and it took at least twice as long as the previous installation. Lo and behold, I clicked on an image and Photoshop loaded without asking for any serial number or activation code, and it seems to be working. I checked on the two things that had been causing me problems, and both worked flawlessly. I don't necessarily recommend this to anyone who has the same problem unless they, like me, have tried everything else and have nothing else to lose. If the Cleanup tool worked properly, it would undoubtedly be easier that way.  Thanks very much for your help,

Victoria