3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2014 10:38 PM by John Waller

Does Adobe have a program(s) that will or does take the place of Photoshop?

Sand dog

I'm new and trying to get the best bang for the buck.  I am using Elements 11 now, but feel like I'm ready for Photoshop CS6.  However, it is expensive, but excellant as I understand it.  I get the feeling that in time (?) Photoshop CS6 will not be supported  and I would be stuck with a very expensive program that would not work anymore (plugins may not keep up with operating systems or what ever).  So...my question is:  does Adobe have an equivlant program(s) that they will stand behind and support well into the distance future.

• 1. Re: Does Adobe have a program(s) that will or does take the place of Photoshop?
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

CC but its not without Adobe Bugs and Adobe support is not what it should be.

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Does Adobe have a program(s) that will or does take the place of Photoshop?
            Mike M Level 6

Sand dog wrote:

I get the feeling that in time (?) Photoshop CS6 will not be supported  and I would be stuck with a very expensive program that would not work anymore (plugins may not keep up with operating systems or what ever).

The plugins may have an issue, but if they work with CS6 and you're still using it, they'll continue to work, as long as whatever OS youre using runs CS6.

I have CS3, CS4, CS5 and CS6 on Windows and Mac and plugins for each that are a mix of system/version specific and universal. Things like EyeCandy and Flaming Pear wil cause you problems changing versions, but gradients, brushes and custome shapes are much more freindly betwen builds.
            As far as a version of photoshop becoming obsolete (especially CS6), there are certain features that may not be in older versions, like CS3 or even CS2, but there are always ways to do what Adobe made easier in newer versions, and unless you're an "uber artist" when it comes to editing and graphic design, you'll probably never run into an issue where you "can't do" something you want.

My Mac has CS5 and CS6 on it and I randomly switch between the two because for what I do (web optimized photos and graphics) there's no dicsernible difference.

• 3. Re: Does Adobe have a program(s) that will or does take the place of Photoshop?
              John Waller Adobe Community Professional & MVP

So...my question is:  does Adobe have an equivlant program(s) that they will stand behind and support well into the distance future.

Are you saying that you want a perpetually licensed product and that you're not interested in the CC (Cloud) version?

The only offerings from Adobe are Photoshop Elements 12, Photoshop CS6 or Photoshop CC (Cloud only)