3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 14, 2006 5:46 PM by BSpero

touchscreen

oreopeewee Level 1
      Beginner here!!! Can anyone direct me to good beginner info on using touchscreens with Director? When I say beginner I mean BEGINNER

THANKS
        • 1. Re: touchscreen
          frashjiveturkey
          There are a couple of things you need to do that differ from making a regular CD-ROM.

Hide the mouse cursor. Do this in a startmovie handler...
          on startmovie
          cursor 200
          end

Also find out the spec for the hardware it'll be running on.
          This will help you design to the exact screen size - 1280x1024 seems to be the usual - but check before you start!

You don't need to bother with rollovers for buttons - as soon as someone presses the screen it registers as a mousedown. Although you could add some effect for a pressed button instead. ie. replace a standard on mouseenter me with on mousedown me (Just remember to swap the graphic back on the mouseup).

There's nothing extra to do regarding user input - someone pressing the screen is registerd as a mousedown and lifting off the screen is a mouseup. The cursor instantly jumps to where the screen is pressed. All this is handles by the hardware.

One other thing. Make your buttons big enough to press with your finger instead of a mouse - try using contextual menus in windows on a touchscreen and you'll see the problem instantly.

Deryck
          http://thecooker.net
          • 2. Re: touchscreen
            Level 7
            > You don't need to bother with rollovers for buttons - as soon as someone
            > presses the screen it registers as a mousedown. Although you could add
            some
            > effect for a pressed button instead. ie. replace a standard on mouseenter
            me
            > with on mousedown me (Just remember to swap the graphic back on the
            mouseup).
            >
            > There's nothing extra to do regarding user input - someone pressing the
            screen
            > is registerd as a mousedown and lifting off the screen is a mouseup. The
            cursor
            > instantly jumps to where the screen is pressed. All this is handles by the
            > hardware.

This isn't necessarily true on all touch-screens. Many have a
            mouse-emulation feature, that allows you to move a cursor around on the
            screen without "clicking". They can sense pressure, so you actually have to
            push the screen a bit to register a click. If at all possible, I would
            acquire one of the screens for testing purposes first, and see how yours
            operates, because they're not all the same.

One thing for sure, there's no right mouse button. I often hide
            test-functions on the right mouse button, so even on an installed kiosk, I
            can bring a mouse in and access the test-functions that way. Another thing
            to keep in mind - With a mouse, you can't jump from point A to point B
            instantly, you have to move from one to the other. This is not true of a
            touch-screen. Depending on what you're working on, this can necesitate
            certain design changes. Most of the time, though, that doesn't matter.
            (Mostly just for certain types of games.)

• 3. Re: touchscreen
              BSpero Level 1
              I have done a TON of work with touchscreens, and there are a lot of things to take into consideration. Many are mentioned above, but here are a few more thoughts...

- When designing, make sure the user's hand doesn't have to move over a part of the screen that they are reading when the action they need to take happens. I guess you have to choose to design for righties, but if they need to press a button and it is right above a text box with important information, then it will be covered by their hand.

- Make sure you understand the settings of the touch screen you are using. Some will have different modes in terms of what kind of response it will give when touched. Usually it can be set, but sometimes the modes emulate a click as soon as the screen is touched, others will register just a mouseDown and wait until the release for a mouseUp. Just make sure you know how it is going to work before starting. It could affect when you assign things to a mouseUp or Down, etc.

- In terms of hiding the cursor, sometimes setting it to 200 works, but if you have videos or other media, sometimes the mouse pointer will appear on top of those not matter what. Often when a piece of touch screen software is installed, it will also install a set of cursor icons that are all invisible and assign a scheme to it in Windows. I use this method to hide the mouse a lot of the time just to avoid any problems.

- B