4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2014 10:37 AM by bogiesan

Water Spray

Daniella80

Hi.

Further to my question on light trails, I'd like to know if this is also possible.

I'd like to film a puddle on the road, imagine a bike cycling through the puddle and water being dispersed, that all sounds straight forward.

I'd like to do that but in the end piece I don't want to see the bike going through the puddle, just the water being dispersed.

Any advice, tips or tutorials would be most appreciated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Water Spray
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Same as in your other thread - roto work. Otherwise you could simulate it fully digitally in a 3D program and comp it in.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Water Spray
            Daniella80 Level 1

Hi Mylenium.

I'd like to avoid 3D so rotoing is the option. I'll do some more research on this.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Water Spray
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Figure out a way to do this practically. If you could hide something under the water and move it so that it appears a tire has gone through, you'll be golden. You can possibly remove wires/pipes/etc. that lead into the water in post.

• 4. Re: Water Spray
                bogiesan Level 4

These are the shoulders of giants: practical special effects are much more fun than simulations. How do you think the industry did all that cool stuff before computers and 3D? Stop-action, mattes, rotoscoping, lots of experimenting and blowing stuff up.

I would be trying high velocity air jets for this effect. You need to deform the water from above the surface. But that's just the start. As Szalam says, something under the water will create the spay. But ti will have to move in sync with the surface effect.