16 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 7:17 AM by nealeh

Urgent help required

Hildergard

I've spent three full days trying to sort this out and I need to send DVD's off to an exhibition today.

The gallery want two of my videos on one DVD. I'm using Premeiere Elements 11. The two videos are in one project but they're each different specs.

One is 1280x70 and 29.9 fps - the other one is 720 x 480 and 25fps.

They're both MPEG

When I burn to DVD on Prel the DVD player says 'Unknown disc', when I try to burn it on iDVD it says there's a coding error.It won't even let me save it as a disc image to burn on disc utility.

I need one DVD where they play once and one DVDthat plays on a loop.

HELP!!

• 1. Re: Urgent help required
          nealeh Level 5

Those differing frame rates are going to be a problem - to produce a single DVD means you will either be stripping frames from the first video or adding frames to the second. Can you double check the parameters of the second - your frame size (720x480) is NTSC, but your frame rate (25) is PAL.

What format does your delivered version need to be in NTSC (@ 29.97fps) or PAL (@ 25fps).?

Does it have to be a Video DVD or could it be a blu-ray?

Could it be a file for playing on a computer or must it work on a standalone player?

For your disk write problems what brand of disc are you using? Do you have another brand you could try?

I take it from your comment about iDVD that you have already tried burning to a folder so that you could burn with iDVD. Did the copy burnt to a folder play properly on the computer?

On your final point, PRE cannot produce a looping DVD. Possibly a setting on the player may allow for looping, or you might need a tool like ifoedit to enter loop parameter.

Cheers,
          --
          Neale
          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 2. Re: Urgent help required
            Hildergard Level 1

Hi Neale - thanks for replying. Here's a screen grab of the properties for that file

hildergard propreties.jpg

I recorded it on an old point and click camera. It was the first video I ever did so I didn't have a clue about resolution etc.

As far as I know the final format will be in PAL and they need DVD discs for a standalone DVD player - not on a computer or Blu Ray.

The discs burn fine a lot of the time. I really think the probelm is my iMac.

I tried making a disc image from iDVD and burning Video TS files because that worked ona  file the ther day. Nohting worked and always the same message came up about a coding error.

I know PRE doesn't allow for looping and for the life of me I can't work out why Adobe don't add it as a function. I also think that changing Export ot Share and Publish ahs made things more difficult. You need to know much more about where the video is going. But then I'm dyslexic with number dislexia too so it's all gobbledegook to me.

At the moment I'm trying to solve the problem by using windows moivie maker and dvd maker on my laptop. I managed to export the file onto a memory card and transfer it to the laptop.

It really shouldn't be this difficult

• 3. Re: Urgent help required
              nealeh Level 5

If they are after PAL then you should be looking for a final output of 720x576 @25fps. Windows Movie Maker DOES actually allow you to create a looping video so you may be better off finishing what you've started there.

But if that doesn't work out for you here's a possible PRE work flow:

• Create a new project using NTSC> HDV> 720p30 and import your first video to the timeline.
              • Use Publish+Share> Computer> AVI and then the DV PAL Widescreen preset. This is the first problematic step as no consumer video editor is really that good at converting framerates.
              • Play it back and see what you think.
              • If it's acceptable, create a new PRE project using PAL> DV> Widescreen.
              • Import your first project output to the timeline. All being well there should not be any line across the top of the timeline as it should not need further rendering.
              • In Edit> Preferences> General turn off 'Default scale to frame size'.
              • Import your second video file to the timeline. The second problematic step as although a PAL framerate, it is an NTSC framesize. But all being well it should fill the frame width and have small black bars top and bottom because of the different number of lines.
              • Render the video (Press the [Enter] key) and when complete see how playback looks.

Cheers,
              --
              Neale

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 4. Re: Urgent help required
                Hildergard Level 1

They haven't specifically asked for PAL, they just need DVD's that'll play in a standalone player I think.

That's amazing help Neale - I'll try that now.

• 5. Re: Urgent help required
                  Hildergard Level 1

Hmmm - I haven't got AVI as an option in publish and share

• 6. Re: Urgent help required
                    nealeh Level 5

Well if they can accept NTSC as well (most modern European PAL players and TV's do tend to be NTSC compatible as well) and the PAL framerate conversion is truly dreadful, the next thing to try would be to export video 1 as DV NTSC Widescreen and create the second project as NTSC> DV> Widescreen and see if that give a better result.

I'm logging off soon, but the American PRE experts will soon be online and between them they will probably have far better suggestions for dealing with mixed footage if my suggestions don't give you an acceptable outcome.

Knowing you're on a tight deadline, good luck and I hope you get a reasonable final DVD.

Cheers,
                    --
                    Neale

• 7. Re: Urgent help required
                      nealeh Level 5

Hildergard wrote:

Hmmm - I haven't got AVI as an option in publish and share

Yes you have - what you're not seeing is that the inital list is scrollable! An almost invisible scroll bar is on the right.

1.png

Cheers,
                      --
                      Neale

• 8. Re: Urgent help required
                        Hildergard Level 1

I've got AVI as an option on thr laptop but not on the mac which is where the files are.

• 9. Re: Urgent help required
                          nealeh Level 5

Ah - I thought you'd switched all your processing to the laptop (wrongly assumed you had PRE installed there as well).

Possibly MOV is the nearest equivalent in the Mac world as an intermediate format.

[EDIT] Does Mac have 'DV' as an option - if so that is better still.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale

• 10. Re: Urgent help required
                            Hildergard Level 1

I can't get the PRE projects to go on my external HD because on the mac it becomes read only. I can never get the laptop to recognise videos I've done on the mac and vice versa. I only really use the mac because of idvd - not realising till today that windows dvd maker will burn dvd's on aloop. PRE on the mac is rubbish as I do a lot of green screen work and there's no chroma key button on mac version of PRE.

I'll try importing them into the laptop in a while but all this shunting them around must be affecting resolution surely?

• 11. Re: Urgent help required
                              nealeh Level 5

Hildergard wrote:

I'll try importing them into the laptop in a while but all this shunting them around must be affecting resolution surely?

Not so long as you are just copying the original source files. It's only when you are publishing to different formats that quality may suffer.

The workflow I suggested includes only one downsizing activity - your 1280x720 video to Standard Definition. And that will have to happen in any workflow as your required output format is Video DVD.

Cheers,
                              --
                              Neale

• 12. Re: Urgent help required
                                Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Have you tried putting both videos on your timeline and then using Publish & Share/Disc/DVD with the option to Burn to a Folder on your hard drive rather than directly to a disc?

Sorry if I seem a bit out of the loop, but I'm not quite sure where you are at this point. Are you still working on your Mac or on your PC?

Are you still just trying to output a DVD with both videos on it?

• 13. Re: Urgent help required
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Hildergard

What version of Premiere Elements are you using? Apparently it is on a Mac computer?

And, apparently you have the following 2 files stored on a DVD

"MPEG" 720 x 480 @ 25.00 frames per second and pixel aspect ratio = 1.0

"MPEG" 1280 x 70 @ 29.9 frames per second

Based on your screenshot the PAL 25.00 frames per second frame rate for a NTSC 720 x 480 frame size (PAR = 1.0) is not a misprint.

But, is the 1280 x 70 a misprint? Is that really 1280 x 720?

What are the details of these files, such as, video compression and actual file extension? Is the file extension .mpg or .mpeg?

I am strictly an Elements Windows user, so please translate the following into your Premiere Elements Mac situation.

This is what you would do if you want to go with an end product NTSC DVD-VIDEO Standard on DVD disc.

1. Open Premiere Elements (assumed 11 or 12 since your screenshot shows "Publish+Share") and go directly to File Menu/New/Project and change the project preset to NTSC DV Standard. Before you exit the final dialog in that area, make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

2. Place your DVD disc with the files into the burner tray of the computer's DVD burner.

3. In the Premiere Elements Expert workspace, use Add Media/Video from Fip or Camera/Video Importer.

In Video Importer check what you want to go to the Timeline, set the Save In location, put check mark next to Add to Timeline, and then hit Get Media. Big question - do these "MPEG" files import into Mac for you?

4. Then for each file on the Timeline, click the screen so that you see a bounding box around your image there. Use the handles of the bounding box to scale the image so that it presents to fill the space in that monitor in the Edit mode.

Press the Render button above the Timeline to get the best possible preview of what you have.

There are various possibilities for all this, but, without definite details from you or the people who want the video, the above is one possibility.

Please review. Any questions or need clarification on anything written, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...As for a looping DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. The easiest way is to depend upon a looping option in the player. If you want to create a Premiere Elements looping DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, then you need the assist of 3rd party software as detailed in the following blog post.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/06/pe-looping-dvd-video-on-dvd-disc.html

One or both (PgcEdit or InfEdit may also be available for Mac. Work in blog post was done on Windows.)

Please let me know if those "MPEG" files on your DVD disc will import into Premiere Elements 11 or 12 Mac using the Video Importer.

• 14. Re: Urgent help required
                                    Hildergard Level 1

Hi folks - sorry for the late reply. I live right down the end of Cornwall UK and we've been battered by the weather. It's been horrendous.

With a combination of things from all your posts I managed to get the dvds done. They had varying levels of quality and none of them were ideal but I did what I could. Adobe really need to add a looping option into their dvd burning.

Thanks for all your help.

• 15. Re: Urgent help required
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Hildergard

Thanks for the good news that your project was successful.

Please let us know if you need any assistance for any future Premiere Elements projects.

We a glad for the opportunity to assist.

ATR

• 16. Re: Urgent help required
                                        nealeh Level 5

Very pleased to hear that you finished it. I live on a hill in Lincolnshire, so we've not had the weather as bad as you and if I ever flooded then the whole of East Anglia would be under water!!!

If you plan on making more videos for UK exhibitions I suggest you look to see if all your cameras can be set to the same national format, ideally PAL for UK but all at NTSC would be better than mixed formats. And if you know that Video DVD is to be the delivery mechanism you might want to set the cameras to that rather than shooting in a High Definition format (although shooting in HD gives you more scope for higher quality pan & zooms). Again though, ideally set all your cameras to record at the same frame size.

If you do shoot with a consistent framerate and framesize your final quality will be much improved.

Cheers,
                                        --
                                        Neale