7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2014 8:46 AM by John Mensinger

PRESENTATION created in InDesigh CS6 instead of PP

ALKA

Do I have to lern Microsoft PP? I was asked to create a PP Presentation. I work on Mac and use Adobe CS6 Suite. can I create whole presentation in InDesign, including transitions and interactivity and than save it as interactive PDF. Can this presentation be as good as PP presentation?

• 1. Re: PRESENTATION created in InDesigh CS6 instead of PP
          John Mensinger Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The answer to your final question can only be conditional, based on the expectations of the person(s) who asked you to create a Powerpoint presentation; which of course we can't know. You can build a fine presentation to be handed off and presented in PDF, but if the "client" is expecting PowerPoint, you'll have a fair bit of explaining to do. Remember, "they" probably don't run InDesign, so in terms of editability and future updates, you'll essentially be handing them a brick.

There is a general aversion to PowerPoint among design professionals, especially those whose skills were reared in a non-office, Mac environment, but for the purpose of building and delivering presentations, it's an excellent application, and one which the business community has adopted as a standard. So, to your first question, I'd answer yes, if you anticipate getting presentation work in the future, it would serve you well to learn PowerPoint. If you're a designer, you're already miles ahead of many people who use it regularly.

• 2. Re: PRESENTATION created in InDesigh CS6 instead of PP
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

It can be better than a PP presentation. ID has better typography, styles and so on.

It has less gimnicks, but you can include sound and film.

To show a PDF presentation you need only to click cmd+L

• 3. Re: PRESENTATION created in InDesigh CS6 instead of PP

Willi Adelberger wrote:

It can be better than a PP presentation. ID has better typography, styles and so on.

It has less gimnicks, but you can include sound and film.

To show a PDF presentation you need only to click cmd+L

Don't take this as a PP vs ID/PDF counterpoint, as I'd agree that a slide deck built using InDesign will exhibit better typography; almost by default; so yes, it can be better...especially on the off-chance that the audience members posess any proclivity with respect to well-set type.

But just in the interest of accuracy; a Powerpoint presentation can also include sound and video, (I assume that's what you meant by 'film' Willi); as well as a fairly comprehensive range of animation possibilities.

And, to show a Powerpoint presentation, (in slideshow mode), you need only to press F5.

• 4. Re: PRESENTATION created in InDesigh CS6 instead of PP
                Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

But to show a PP you need to have PowerPOint and this costs very much. For a PDF you need only the free Adobe Reader.

Not everyone has PP, not everyone has used fonts.

• 5. Re: PRESENTATION created in InDesigh CS6 instead of PP
                  ALKA Level 1

Thank you kindly for your advise.

Client wants me to create a GREAT PRESENTATION !

He is aware that instead of PP he will get Interactive PDF.

He cares about the speaker notes.

Most of my work relates to print. Some is web creative concepts.

I just need to make sure, that presenting INTERACTIVE PDF is as easy-good-smooth as presenting PP.

What are the limitations of Adobe InDesing and than Interactive PDF in comparison with the Microsoft PP.

I might have just this one presentation or maybe one or two more. It is not something I would be working on often. This is why I would love to be able to use program I know well, rather than crawl in PP.

• 6. Re: PRESENTATION created in InDesigh CS6 instead of PP
                    ALKA Level 1

Client, who is not just one person, but a whole organization - they are used to PP PRESENTATIONS. This is what they did until now.

This is the very first time they approach me to do PP for them, and I have to make sure, that I deliver the top knotch presentation.

So to answer your concern; all of them have PP.

• 7. Re: PRESENTATION created in InDesigh CS6 instead of PP

Okay Willi; as already hinted, I have no interest in engaging in a debate over it. I do not favor one over the other. Each has its strengths and weaknesses.

In a vacuum, your points are valid, of course. But there are other facts to consider.

The life of a presentation is not only predicated upon how it looks on screen, or how easily it presents. In a large organization populated by business types who have used Powerpoint throughout their careers; the sudden appearance of a PDF presentation will not come off as a vast improvement.

I have many years' experience in such environments, and I've created hundreds of presentations in it. When a presenter "hires" someone to create a presentation, the presenter intends to assume ownership of it. They will take it on the road and inevitably expect to tweak its elements in the hotel room, if not right in the conference room moments before the projector fires up. For instance; when a financial result or marketing metric changes one or more of the numbers in a chart or graph; the MS Office editing environment facilitates this seamlessly. Excel is the data language spoken in these circles. Here again, the PDF would be a "brick," and the presenter would have to be in on-demand contact with the creator to get the changes communicated, implemented and an updated file transferred. It's cumbersome at best. And, this might happen every day or two during a typical two-week business trip.

There are scenarios in which a PDF slide presentation is certainly an applicable, prehaps preferrable solution. But like any design job, the appropriate methods of constuction and deployment are dependent upon client expecations; that was the premise of my original reply.