10 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2014 4:19 PM by Emmy52

Symbol corruption in ibooks

Emmy52

Hello All,

The symbols in my compositions are not working in ibooks, but they work perfectly in Safari, Firefox and Chrome.  They used to work in ibooks on my ipad until late December, then they suddenly seemed to become corrupt.  When the pages load, bits of the animations flash on the screen for a second and then disappear.  After that the pages function normally, but it happens with every page turn. Has anyone else had this problem?

I have tried to copy and paste the symbols into new pages but the problem is also transferred onto the new pages.  I tried to view it in ibooks on Mavericks on a desktop and got different errors.  The flashing bits of animations were gone, but some of the pages didn't load at all.  When the pages did load, some of the animations wouldn't play. I downloaded the trial of version 3.0 and copied a couple of pages into that but it is still the same.

I am loathe to begin all the work of recreating my symbols from scratch because what if it happens again?  how do I know I will not get to the end only to have the symbols suddenly become corrupt all over again?  To say that I am frustrated would be the understatement of the century! ANY information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and best to everyone,

Emmy52

• 1. Re: Symbol corruption in ibooks
          jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi Emmy,

It seems unlikely the symbols are corrupted if they are working perfectly in desktop browsers - the remaining question would be why they aren't working in iBooks for you.

Any chance you can zip your project folder, upload it to your Creative Cloud files and PM a link to me so I can download it and check things out?

Thank you,

Joe

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Symbol corruption in ibooks
            Emmy52 Level 1

Hi Joe,

Thanks so much for getting back to me.  Is there any chance I can send you the files privately? They are for a book and I am a bit hesitant to post the pages publicly.

Thanks,

Emmy52

• 3. Re: Symbol corruption in ibooks
              jbowden Adobe Employee

Hi Emmy,

Sure - just click on the Animate icon to the left of my name, and then on the right hand side of the next page, click on the "Send private message" link.

Thanks,

Joe

• 4. Re: Symbol corruption in ibooks
                Emmy52 Level 1

Thanks Joe. I think I did it correctly but, to be honest, I've never used my cloud account before.  If you have not received anything can you let me know and I'll try again?

Thanks,

Emmy52

• 5. Re: Symbol corruption in ibooks
                  jbowden Adobe Employee

I'm sorry, Emmy. Got your files...looking at it now.

Thank you,

Joe

• 6. Re: Symbol corruption in ibooks
                    Emmy52 Level 1

Wonderful Joe, thank you so much. 

In looking at my original message I realize I forgot to mention a few details regarding my ibook problem. I've noticed the flashes occur under the following circumstances:

1. if a symbol has been moved, it often flashes in the original position for a second as the page is being loaded, before appearing in the new position

2. elements within the symbol, that are supposed to be transparent at the beginning or end of a symbol's timeline, often flash on for a second during page load and then disappear.

3. elements that I dragged onto the stage, prior to moving them into the correct position and converting them to a symbol, often flash for a second during page load in the position to which they were originally dragged.

Hope this info helps,

Thanks,

Emmy52

• 7. Re: Symbol corruption in ibooks
                      Emmy52 Level 1

Hi Joe,

Just wondering if there is any news about my flashing symbols in ibooks problem.  Were you able to see the problem as I did?

All the best,

Emmy52

• 8. Re: Symbol corruption in ibooks
                        Emmy52 Level 1

Update:

I just tested the html files created by edge in the iOS Xcode simulator and had some interesting results:

The files do not work properly in ANY of the iPad simulators.

The files DO work PERFECTLY in the iPhone retina 4 inch simulator.

They do not work in any of the other iPhone simulators.

I also exported the files to web, and tested those html pages with the same results.

To be more precise, upon page load bits of various elements flash on the screen for a second and then disappear. After that the page works as expected.  This happens in all of the device simulators except the iPhone retina 4 inch simulator.

How is this possible? Am I doing something wrong?

Best,

Emmy52

• 9. Re: Symbol corruption in ibooks
                          Emmy52 Level 1

The problem is with the audio files!

Upon further testing in the ios simulator and on my ipad, I discovered that when I remove the audio files my pages work perfectly. The pages load properly and the elements within the symbols do not flash on the screen.  I do not understand this at all.  Furthermore, some pages seem to work in some of the simulated devices even with the audio included (though never when the device is 'rotated' and never on my actual ipad).  I am including a table to more clearly show my results:

ios test results.jpg

The final page of my project does not include any symbols or audio files so it always works.  The first page includes includes several symbols, and two audio files.  Two of the symbols and the audio files are actived by click events so that they play at the same time.  All of the other pages have multiple symbols, four of which are activated by clicks to play along with their corresponding audio. I will now attempt to figure out what is different about the first page.  Why does it load properly when the other pages do not?

I don't think it is the audio files themselves.  I have tried various files in mp3, mp4, and ogg.  The problem seems to appear the second I drag the audio from the media folder onto the stage.  I also tried doing it the old way by putting the html media element into the composition ready area, but the second I referenced the actual audio files my page stopped loading properly.

This is so frustrating because it all worked just fine until late December.  Why did it change all of a sudden?

If anyone has ANY information or suggestions I would be really appreciate hearing them.

Best to all,

Emmy52

• 10. Re: Symbol corruption in ibooks
                            Emmy52 Level 1

Further Update:

I decided to try and put my audio files in first, and then see which page elements I could include and which would not work.  I'm afraid the results were not encouraging: even with just a jpg background and a single audio file, the stage kind of jumped as it was loaded into the ipad simulator.  On a slightly more positive note, as long as I ignored the jumping stage, I was able to include four audio files and several symbols before the elements from the symbols began to flash on page load.  The problem seemed to get worse if I included symbols that were intended to autoplay on the page.  These seemed to mess with the elements of the clickable symbols and make them flash as before.  Once again, if I simply remove all of the audio files then everything is perfact – except that no one will want it. 

Best,

Emmy52