6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2014 10:58 AM by A.T. Romano

Working with Elements 10

curpict

I am putting jpeg photos and movies from my Nikon camera for a DVD slide show to be played on any TV. What is the best project setting to use to get playback on the TV through the DVD player?

• 1. Re: Working with Elements 10
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Edit at the full resolution of the video, Share to DVD when done

NOTE about pictures

Photo Scaling for Video http://forums.adobe.com/thread/450798

-HiRes Pictures to DVD http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1187937?tstart=0

-PrEl Crash http://forums.adobe.com/thread/973935

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may also help

• 2. Re: Working with Elements 10
            A.T. Romano Level 7

curpict

What are the pixel dimensions of the photos that are going into this slideshow and how many photos?

What are the properties of the video that is going into this project? Here I am looking for video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, and pixel aspect ratio. If you do not have that information at hand, then letting me know the model/settings for the Nikon would probably give us this important information.

What I usually do is set up my project according to the video and then fit the photo into those project settings. If the video is 16:9, then the burn to disc will be NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

Example...if your video is 1080p, then I would go with the NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLR 1080p30 @ 29.97 or DSLR 1080p30 for the project preset. Then I would make sure my photos were around 1920 x 1080. Much higher than that is computer resource dependant. Higher resolution photos as is does not mean better end quality. No matter how great the resolution of the photo, it will be reduced to the size specification of the end product. But, let us get some basic information and then we can move on from there. Later we can discuss batch photo resizing versus batch cropping/resizing as indicated. I do not think we are ready for that yet so I will hold on that information.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Working with Elements 10
              curpict Level 1

Thanks for the response. The photo pixel dimensions are 4928 x 3264. Approximately 220 photos.  Camera is Nikon 7000 with movie settings set at 1920 x1080, 24fps high qual. Sounds like I need to start by reducing the pixel dimensions. Let me know if the above info helps.

• 4. Re: Working with Elements 10
                A.T. Romano Level 7

curpict

Excellent information in your post numbered 3.

Set the Premiere Elements 10 project preset for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24

For now I am assuming that you are working with Premiere Elements 10 running on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

As for the photos (220), I would suggest that you batch crop/resize them to 1920 x 1080 16:9.

Your photos are 4928 x 3264 pixels (3:2) and you will be going to a 16:9 project. That is why I am suggesting batch cropping in conjunction with batch resizing. If you had 16:9 photos going into a 16:9 project, then I would suggest batch resizing that can be done in Photoshop Elements Full Editor/File Menu/Process Multiple files.

For batch crop/resize, I would suggest that you look into the free IrfanView

http://www.irfanview.com/

The major concern is that the 16:9 cropped resized shows what you want displayed for your photo.

Do a mini test run to see how many of the photos pass the test. All this in the name of avoiding black borders. We can go into more discussion on this once you overview the situation.

No doubt you will receiving other posts on this batch resizing. But, I prefer the considerations that I have just presented and working through them. It is fast and easy. Step by step can be supplied. Batch cropping resizing on an individual photo level with say the Photoshop Elements Crop Tool would no doubt give the best results with regard to the resizing and 100% of what portion of the image you will use, but let see if we can avoid that for 220 photos.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 5. Re: Working with Elements 10
                  curpict Level 1

Thanks for the help. It worked and am well pleased. The irfanview was easy to use.

• 6. Re: Working with Elements 10
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

curpict

Thanks for the follow up with the good news that Irfanview worked for you so that you could work with your stills for the Premiere Elements project. Great job.

Continued success. Any questions or clarification needed, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thanks.

ATR