14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 9:44 AM by Steve Werner

lost objects when exporting to pdf

KathyRK Level 1

I am losing objects when I export to pdf from InDesign. Even if I make a simple file with one object, if it is over a certain size it will not export? This has just started recently, it also happens in Illustrator. I am using a mac.

• 1. Re: lost objects when exporting to pdf
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Version of InDesign? Have you updated to the latest update? Computer platform?

What PDF preset are you using to export? What application are you viewing the PDF in? What kind of objects are you losing?

• 2. Re: lost objects when exporting to pdf
            KathyRK Level 1

Using InDesing CS6 / yes it is up to date / Mac OS X 10.7.5

Exporting to print screen pdf (nothing different then what I ever do) / viewing in Adobe Acrobat Professional XI / losing a simple box with color

I tested this in a file with nothing else except a box adn it converted if small but if close to the size of the page it did not show up. Tried on both the master page and a regular page.

This is happening in both InDesign and Illsutrator and has just begun recently. I have restarted my computer and done a MacKeeper cleanup and will try again.

• 3. Re: lost objects when exporting to pdf

What do you mean by a "print screen PDF"?

The correct way to make a PDF is to choose File > Export > Adobe PDF (Print), and choose a preset. For example, you could choose the High Quality Print preset.

• 4. Re: lost objects when exporting to pdf
                KathyRK Level 1

Don't mean to sound rude but I have been doing this for 30 years and this is just happening now. I save pdfs at least thirty times a day so it is not that I am saving them incorrectly.

I go File > Export > Adobe PDF (Print) OR Adobe PDF (Interactive)

Currently this happens in either a print pdf or an interactive pdf.

• 5. Re: lost objects when exporting to pdf

OK, I'm just establishing that you're using the normal procedure. Your terminology was not what I was expecting. Please don't be offended.

What's happening to you is definitely not normal, it sounds like a serious problem with your hardware or your software.

It's unusual that it's happening in both InDesign and Illustrator.

Have you tried restoring preferences for those two applications? Here's how in InDesign:

Trash, Replace, Reset, or Restore the application Preferences

The keyboard shortcut for restoring Illustrator preferences is Cmd + Option + Shift.

If that doesn't work, you may have to consider uninstalling and reinstalling those applications unless someone else can suggest another option.

• 6. Re: lost objects when exporting to pdf
                    KathyRK Level 1

Thanks so much, will attack those preferences but will do it tomorrow.

I think there is something else wrong here, this is not a normal error. Maybe that is why it so frustrating? Will report back tomorrow adn thanks again.

• 7. Re: lost objects when exporting to pdf
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You might also want to test starting the Mac with extensions disabled to rule out some software conflict, and working in a new user accoount to see if it's user related or application related.

• 8. Re: lost objects when exporting to pdf
                        KathyRK Level 1

Good morning.

SO where I am now...

I reinstalled all of my Adobe software, yes all. I even scrubbed my computer of all of my Adobe programs with their scrubber.

Problem still exists.

I moved the source InDesign file to my laptop, opened it and re-exported the page as a print pdf. I then opened it in Acrobat Pro on the laptop. It was fine.

I then moved that file to my DropBox and then my desktop, opened it in Acrobat Pro and the it was not fine. The missing box was still missing.

Can I assume therefore that the problem lies in the Adobe Acrobat software?

I then shut down my desktop and restarted in Safe Mode. Opened the file in Acrobat and the box was still missing.

Therefore can I assume it is not an extension conflict?

Any ideas as to what to do next?

• 9. Re: lost objects when exporting to pdf
                          KathyRK Level 1

I should also mention that dear Adobe had me in tears when it came to uninstalling and reinstalling Acrobat Pro! I am a Creative Cloud (CC) member and CC was not recognizing the fact that I had uninstalled the software therefore I could not reinstall. It took me some time and much frustration to find the "scrubber" software, which did solve the problem, but really should it be so difficult?

• 10. Re: lost objects when exporting to pdf
                            KathyRK Level 1

So next...

I installed Adobe Reader and low and behold when I opened the offending file it is just fine!!

So it is my Acrobat Pro XI. Next?

• 11. Re: lost objects when exporting to pdf
                              Bo LeBeau Level 4

You mentioned . . . I have restarted my computer and done a MacKeeper cleanup and will try again.

MacKeeper is garbage, it is well known to cause many, many  problems. It deleted what it thinks are unnecesary files, but in reality it often deletes required files that are needed for things to run correctly.

Get rid of MacKeeper entirely. (you may have to reinstall certain software to restore vital files that were deleted)

I know you just reinstalled your Adobe software, but as long as MacKeeper is still running on your machine you are skating on thin ice!

• 12. Re: lost objects when exporting to pdf
                                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Seems to me we've seen other reports about problems with MacKeeper, too.

• 13. Re: lost objects when exporting to pdf
                                  KathyRK Level 1

THANK YOU ALL!!

Final steps :

Deleted MacKeeper...gone.

Uninstalled Acrobat Pro XI once again.

Ran Adobe Creative Cloud cleaner and cleaned up for Acrobat Pro XI.

Restarted computer.

Re-installed Acrobat Pro XI once again.

And it works!! I can see everything in the pdf.

Bon voyage, I am off and running.

• 14. Re: lost objects when exporting to pdf

Congratulations!