11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2014 12:27 PM by Peter Spier

InDesign CS5 - Move project to another computer

arie.supit

Hi guys,

I know there must be a thread/post like this one before, but I need a quick answer for now. That is why I make a new one instead of search for the old one. Sorry :/

I'm planning to go overseas, and still work on my project. But the thing is that I will use my personal computer. Not my company computer. I was just wondering will there be any problem if I move from computer A to computer B?

- I will package my project in computer A, and will open it again in computer B. Will there be any problem? No. Right? Because I package all the fonts that are in the document/project. Correct?

AND

- The computer A is a Windows, WILL THERE BE ANY PROBLEM IF I start/continue the project/document on Apple/Mac ???

-  What would be the problems? (fonts, links) ???

- If I package my current project/document. Is it guaranteed safe? I can move it to anywhere that I want? (windows to windows, not windows to apple)

I hope I don't get too complicated.

Thank you!

• 1. Re: InDesign CS5 - Move project to another computer
          Laubender Adobe Community Professional & MVP

@arie.supit – some things you have to consider:

1. Does computer B support InDesign CS5? Be in doubt if the OS version is OSX 10.9 (Mavericks).

2. Special characters in file names.

Depending on the transfer method from A to B file names could and would change.
          Or later from B to A.

Also: some special characters allowed in A are not allowed in B.

You could use dropbox.com for that.

TEST that workflow before doing the whole migration.

3. File types: use only file types both OS systems do support.
          Eg.: WMF files could be a problem.

4. If you are using scripts to automate parts of your workflow consider:
          VB Scripts do not run on Macs, AppleScripts do not run on Windows. ExtendScript scripts that usually work on both platforms using the file system could be tied to the OS they are developed for.

I'm sure I forgot an issue here ;-)

Uwe

• 2. Re: InDesign CS5 - Move project to another computer
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

In addition to Uwe's answer, fonts might be a problem. Type 1 fonts are not supported by the Document Installed Fonts feature, and the only way to get Windows T1 fonts to work on a Mac is to put them into the InDesign private Fonts folder.

• 3. Re: InDesign CS5 - Move project to another computer
              arie.supit Level 1

Hey Laubender!

Thank you so much for the explanation. But it got a little complicated at the end sorry!

So yeah... Let just forget about migrating Windows to Apple. Let just talk Windows to Windows...

Software: InDesign CS5

Computer: Windows

Question: Migrating from computer A to B

- Will it be SAFE if I open a packaged file in the computer B??? All the fonts that are in the file/document should be packaged?

- If there will be a problem with the FONTS, I will try to copy and paste ALL the fonts that are in the A computer and paste it in the B computer, and install the ones that I need ????

Thank you!

• 4. Re: InDesign CS5 - Move project to another computer
                arie.supit Level 1

Hey Peter!

Thank you for the reply!

I'm sure aware about the FONTS, but now I'm talking about migrating from Windows to Windows...

- Will there be any problem regarding the fonts?

- Is the answer to copy all the fonts in the A computer and paste in the B computer, and install the fonts that are required in the file/document?

- Isn't it already SAFE if I packaged the file/document? because all the fonts that I need should be in there?

Thank you!

• 5. Re: InDesign CS5 - Move project to another computer

You may still need to install the fonts, but they should be in the package.

• 6. Re: InDesign CS5 - Move project to another computer
                    arie.supit Level 1

Hey Peter!

I did what you told me to. To install all the fonts the one in the package, and also the fonts that are in the from computer A.

So... everything was alright until yesterday....

I open the 022014.indd from the package folder, and save as 022114 and save it outside 022014 packaged folder.

everything was alright until i am exporting it to pdf. the ID crashed, and says it stopped working....

OK. I thought it should be like normal thing. I opened ID again, and of course the document will open as well.. BUT

it shows MISSING FONTS.... and it not just 1 or 2... but 300 errors at the left bottom.. and i was like panicing.. because it seems like my 8 hours of works just gone like that. POOF!

I tried to package 022114, and close the current document (because this is not the packaged one), so i open the one in the packaged, BUT it still says 300 errors...

I closed it again, and ID too. and install the fonts in the 022114 packaged, and also the fonts that I installed the first time...

and open ID again, and open the doc again from the packaged folder,..... STILL the same problem....

What should I do now? Deadline is on Tuesday.... T_T"

The fonts that are missing are likes "arial narrow bold" and that kind i believe, I did installed it ... but it still shows it's missing...

Thank you!

• 7. Re: InDesign CS5 - Move project to another computer

Arial Narrow is a known problem font. Try copying the Dovument Fonts folder into the folder where you saved the new version. ID uses the fonts in that folder instead of the ones installed on your system if they are present in both places.

• 8. Re: InDesign CS5 - Move project to another computer
                        arie.supit Level 1

Hey Peter,

THANK YOU! That really helped me. So I save as a new doc, and packaged a new one. Right? AND open the new doc, but the Arial Narrow still seems missing. So I tried the method you told me, and it worked.

So, my question is: I have to do this every time from now on? How to solve this?

Thank you,

• 9. Re: InDesign CS5 - Move project to another computer

The problem is the version of Arial Narrow that you have installed. Search the forum for Arial Narrow and you should find all sorts of information about replacing it wih an older version or editing the version you have in a font editor.

• 10. Re: InDesign CS5 - Move project to another computer
                            arie.supit Level 1

Hi Peter,

I found couple solution in the forum:

- install hotfix from microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956514

- install arial narrow version 2.37

- delete AdobeFnt##.lst <--- I can't find it on my drive. What I found was AdobeFnt_OCFontslst & AdobeFnt_CMaps.lst should I delete those?

first, i will try to install the hotfix. hopefully it'l work.

thank you!

---------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

So, I tried to download and install the hotfix, it says "There are no products affected by this package installed on the system."

I do not have Microsoft Office, I only have Microsoft Word. Is that the reason why???

So, now not really sure what to do. Probably try to download Arial Narrow 2.37? I don't even know if I can download them..

Thanks!

• 11. Re: InDesign CS5 - Move project to another computer

arie.supit wrote:

Hi Peter,

- delete AdobeFnt##.lst <--- I can't find it on my drive. What I found was AdobeFnt_OCFontslst & AdobeFnt_CMaps.lst should I delete those?

No. You want to search for adobefnt*.lst and delete those that end in a two-digit number.

To get the older versions you could uninstall the new version you have (set a restoer point first), then right click the versions in the Document Fonts folder and choose Install.