8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 1:49 PM by _:

How to change text in symbol for slideshow

_:

Hello, Newby here. I have done the lesson 5 in Adobe Edge Animate Classroom in a Book and everything went well up to a point. When I edit the text for the drop down moreinfo symbol it changes the text for all of the slides. How do I make the text individual to each slide??? The book does not explain this. Many thanks for any help.

• 1. Re: How to change text in symbol for slideshow
          resdesign Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hello:

It is very easy to change text in a text field. Just create an array with you text and then change it like this:

var newText = ['Your first text here','Your second text here','Your third text here','Your fourth text here','Your fifth text here'];

//In your event cycle trought the text. Example: A click event on a button:

sym.$('button').click(function(){

i++;

sym.$('yourTextField').html(newText[i]);

});

Of course adapt this to your need.

• 2. Re: How to change text in symbol for slideshow
            elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, Operaperson-

Remember that when you edit a symbol instance in place, you're actually editing the fundamental symbol definition, which then in turn affects all other instances of that symbol.  Instead, duplicate your symbol (right click over the symbol definition in the Library Panel and select Duplicate) and edit your symbol definition.

Hope that helps,

-Elaine

• 3. Re: How to change text in symbol for slideshow

Good point Elaine. He can still change the text in the symbol with the code I proposed except the scope has to change to:

sym.getSymbol('symbolName').$('textName').html.....

or even something else if the text is deeper in the symbol.

Or as you said duplicate the symbol in the library and edit the text in it.

I personally prefer dynamic text and one symbol.

• 4. Re: How to change text in symbol for slideshow
                _: Level 1

Hi Elaine and redesign. Thanks for your replies. ARRG, the JS script is very new to me (PHP a different story) I am not sure how to go about creating the array and where it should go. If the answer to that is to complicated and time consuming for you, I understand and will research it.

Elaine, I did the duplication and the editing, but it seems the first slide symbol's text overlaps the second one, etc. is there a trigger action to stop the first symbol when the slide transforms over to the second?

REALLY appreciate all the input. We just finished up a nice 50 page website for a school built from the ground up in Concrete5...learning the PHP for that was a real education. Now on to JS.

Thanks again for any further help.

Alex

• 5. Re: How to change text in symbol for slideshow

Since I am not sure what you have I can just give you general info.

To create an array for text, for example create an array called info.

var info = [

'your enter your text for slide 1 here',

'your enter your text for slide 2 here',

'your enter your text for slide 3 here',

'your enter your text for slide 4 here',

'your enter your text for slide 5 here'  // no comma here - it is the last element of the array.

];

Now you will have to add the code to reach the text in your symbol and this is where it can be tricky, depending what depth it is in. A basic symbol named slide with a text inside named caption would be

sym.getSymbol('slide').$('caption').html(info[0]);

and it will show element 0 in the array (the first element).

The way you call it depends on you.

I usually call it the way I showed above on a click event or another kind of event.

• 6. Re: How to change text in symbol for slideshow

Thanks redesign. I think I will create a new project using a few slides, based on the tutorial, then I will try the code (I am guessing I add it in the jquery code that Edge has already generated?).

Thanks again and hopefully I will report back with good news. (:~>

• 7. Re: How to change text in symbol for slideshow

Nope! Add this in Stage/CompositionReady.

• 8. Re: How to change text in symbol for slideshow

redesign, thanks. I was able to do a work around on my timeline and a few tweaks...all is good now. Thanks for your help.