8 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2014 12:19 AM by MichealFu

How can I import Alexa Arri files (mxf, sum, xml) to use in After Effects?

123Emily456 Level 1

How can I import Alexa Arri camera files (mxf, sum, xml) to use in After Effects cs6? I have tried several versions of free software downloads to convert the files to mov or mp4 but this does not work.

• 2. Re: How can I import Alexa Arri files (mxf, sum, xml) to use in After Effects?
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What do you mean that your conversions didn't work? MOV is just a container format; what codec did you try? Were the resulting files from your free software downloads playable at all in any media player?

What version of CS6 are you running? (11.0.4? 11.0.0?)

What are the specs for your computer?

• 3. Re: How can I import Alexa Arri files (mxf, sum, xml) to use in After Effects?
            123Emily456 Level 1

I tried turning the mxf. file into a Quicktime HD .mov and I also tried H.264 mp4 - basically any file which I can use in After Effects. When the conversion ended there was a .mov file, but it was only 4kb and when I click to open it opens Quicktime, comes up with the button panel (play, stop etc) but no screen to play the footage. Are these conversion software downloads usually more reliable than this?

I am running version 11.0.0 CS6 on a Macbook Pro with OS X 10.6.8,  2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4 GB memory.

• 4. Re: How can I import Alexa Arri files (mxf, sum, xml) to use in After Effects?

123Emily456 wrote:

Are these conversion software downloads usually more reliable than this?

You get what you pay for in most cases. You need to convert it to a lossless codec and not something like h.264

123Emily456 wrote:

I am running version 11.0.0 CS6 on a Macbook Pro with OS X 10.6.8,  2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor, 4 GB memory.

You are four bug fix updates behind.

Update to 11.0.4

• 5. Re: How can I import Alexa Arri files (mxf, sum, xml) to use in After Effects?
                123Emily456 Level 1

I only upgraded to CS6 a month ago, so must have the most recent version?

When you say a "lossless" codec, what do you mean?

I contacted Arri and they recommended trying MXF4Player to play the mxf videos, but the mxf's are not playing back when I open them in the software - they just play with a black screen.

I think I should have been provided with QT's alongside the mxf/sum/xml files - as mxf files seem to be used with Final Cut Pro and definitely not with After Effects.

• 6. Re: How can I import Alexa Arri files (mxf, sum, xml) to use in After Effects?

123Emily456 wrote:

I only upgraded to CS6 a month ago, so must have the most recent version?

The most recent version of CS6 is 11.0.4

The most recent version of After Effects is After Effects CC which is version 12.2.0

So...no. You're not even on the latest major version.

123Emily456 wrote:

When you say a "lossless" codec, what do you mean?

Sounds like you have a lot of learning to do! This sort of thing is the technical, but necessary knowledge that any video professional should have. You should look up more information about it, but the basic thing is that most video from prosumer (and all video from consumer cameras) is very compressed. That means it's tossed out a bunch of information in order to keep the file size down. You don't want to use lossy/compressed file formats in your post-production workflow because each generation loses quality.

A lossless codec is much larger in file size, but you don't lose any quality. You can have uncompressed AVIs or Quicktimes with the Animation or PNG codec. Quicktime with the PhotoJPEG codec at high quality settings isn't quite lossless, but it's close enough for most workflows and is smaller in file size. A couple of very popular (nearly lossless) codecs for post work are DNxHD and Cineform (free from Avid and GoPro respectively).

We use Cineform where I work.

123Emily456 wrote:

I think I should have been provided with QT's alongside the mxf/sum/xml files - as mxf files seem to be used with Final Cut Pro and definitely not with After Effects.

We use MXF files with After Effects here with no problems.

• 7. Re: How can I import Alexa Arri files (mxf, sum, xml) to use in After Effects?
                    _Scarlet_Spider_ Level 1

I am experiencing exaclty the same problem, neither of Adobe products can read that mxf. After Effects (v 11.0.4.2) shows the same error as above, Premiere Pro (v 6.0.5) says "The impoerter reported a generic error.", Encoder "could not read from source", and when trying to ingest it via prelude, in Events list it says "Import XMP failed!" - maybe there's a clue? Is it Adobe's fault or is something wrong with my computer?

Needles to say, good free converters like SUPER converter can't handle it at all.

My specs (but I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with that):

Win 8 x64

Core i7 3630QM @ 2.4 GHz

32 GB RAM

GeForce 675MX

• 8. Re: How can I import Alexa Arri files (mxf, sum, xml) to use in After Effects?
                      MichealFu Level 1

Have a try of TransMXF Pro for Mac from auncamdotcom. It supports batch convert and multi-track files.