1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 7:30 AM by MW Design

Mail Merge

dzahnke

I need to know how to do a mail merge using Indesign given the following.  Can you please help?

I have and excel csv that has multiple date within a SINGLE  “CELL” for example the cell has information that has 1- 20 lines of data  based on donation given by a person the “SINGLE CELL” has  every donation amount made in the past year.   Microsoft Word will do  the merge and reflow following static content correctly but I can t get   Indesign to behave similarly.  This is the first thing I need to know.

The  next problem is I need it to flow into 2 columns  based on the number  of lines, so if it is more than 10 lines of information (again, within  that one cell) it will just flow into the second column..

Example: (YELLOW IS IN A SINGLE CELL IN THE CSV.)

Date    Method           Amount                      Date    Method           Amount              

1/1     Check              $10.00                        5/1     Cash                $20.00

2/1     Check              $ 5.00                         6/1     Check              $30.00

3/1     Cash                $100.00                     

4/1     Check              $30.00

SFTIUEORWIGFJDFSO;GIJDFSOGIJFGJDFSL;GKDJSFGLKDSFJGLDS;FJGOIJGSDFJGDFSGDFS

GERWG;SRJGOERISGJSDFGJDS;FLKGJDSFL;KGJDFLSKGJSDFL;GSDFGDSFJGOIGIOSEJRGO

IJERWEJRSGOISDFJGLDSFJGLKDFSGJLSDFKGJERJER[OPIWGJERIGWIOTVEPOGIJDFGOIJUFGO

JMDFLGKUOPGIJERWTIUFGPODFGJOERUTODFGDDFIOSGUODGJDFSGJDFOSIGUPDRUTOPRIJGTDR

• 1. Re: Mail Merge
          MW Design Level 4

Indesign's merge cannot handle line breaks in a merge file. You can replace the line breaks to some character that is not used in the cells, such as a tilde character. Then once into ID, replace the tilde (or whatever character) with a line break.