6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 10:27 AM by monifade3

Optimizing After Effects Performance/ Rendering Speed for large projects

monifade3

Problem:

My after effects is extremely slow and i want to use an external harddrive  to increase the speed temporarily until i can afford to change the internal hard drive. i also have other video production software like Cinema 4D, Final Cut Pro, Premiere Pro, Cheetah 3D, etc.

Macbook pro with the following specs:

Processor  2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory  8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

Graphics  NVIDIA GeForce 320M 256 MB (Available space approx 91.GB)

Software  OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

Action:

i have set my Disk Cache to use the 500GB Gtech firewire external hardrive in After Effects Preferences

Issue: After effects still slow

Recommendation From expert: Change Internal Hard Drive to 512 GB SSD HARD DRIVE

Question: How can i optimize After effects with the current hard drive space i have right now?

• 1. Re: Optimizing After Effects Performance/ Rendering Speed for large projects
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What do you mean slow? What version of AE? What kind of projects. Some take a while to render. Worked on one yesterday and it was taking about 3 minutes per frame, which was expected for what I was doing.

There are lots of posts and suggestions for optimizing a system to run AE but AE is not a NLE. It's a frame based pixel blending application that looks at each pixel on each layer and makes calculations.

• 2. Re: Optimizing After Effects Performance/ Rendering Speed for large projects
            Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The hard drive is not the main issue with AE's speed. The processor is the biggest issue.

A solid state drive to be used as the cache is helpful, but hardly a speed boost vs. getting a better processor.

As Rick mentions, some things in AE will take a while to render. What is your definition of slow? What are you expecting it to be like? What do you have in your comp?

Have you gone through the basics? A lot of people expect After Effects to work in a completely different way than it actually does, so, for all we know, it might even be faster than expected considering the age of your computer.

• 3. Re: Optimizing After Effects Performance/ Rendering Speed for large projects
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Heed Rick and Szalam's answers.

See this page for resources about making After Effects work faster: http://adobe.ly/eV2zE7

See this page for information about hardware for After Effects: http://adobe.ly/pRYOuk

• 4. Re: Optimizing After Effects Performance/ Rendering Speed for large projects
                monifade3 Level 1

i am working on a lyric video on after effects CS6.

The main idea is to have a spinning spectral effect that rotates continuously and generates electrical lyrics matching the song.

i created mask versions of my letters and used the audio spectrum effect from "Generate". The song is also attached to the audio spectrum. Bascially the words have an electric feel that matches the song. i also created another project which is basically a continuous spectral spin fx using audio spectrum, vegas, and stroke effect. one of my main problem as a beginner to After effects is minimizing the amount of work in a composition. The spinning effect was created in a different compositon, so for the individual lyrics of the song.  i am working on a master composition file to align the lyrics with the exact timing of the song while creating different effects on the lyrics. The main composition also has spining effect, star dust simulation effect, the text composition effect for every single word, and so on in it. So i have soo much going on in that one composition file. i am thinking maybe thats why it is taking forever to render.

Would you recommend doing all the effects on the text in the composition of the text and then placing it in the master composition file after? how else can i make my project alot better while optimizing the speed.

Thank you

• 5. Re: Optimizing After Effects Performance/ Rendering Speed for large projects
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you have everything in some of your layers the way you want it, you can precompose them and prerender them.

• 6. Re: Optimizing After Effects Performance/ Rendering Speed for large projects
                    monifade3 Level 1

Thank you. As i stated earlier i am new to after effects and video editing in general so this is a learning process for me. i have also realized that i have soo much going in the layer that i need to clean up and prerender as you said. Also one of the biggest mistake i am making is with the "composed individual lyric effect" i created. As i said earlier, i masked the lyrics to audio spectrum and choose the mp3 song in other to make the effect active, but since i am working on the lyric composition individually i did not crop the yellow bar in the workframe to the exact part of the lyric that applies to the song. hence leaving me with 100+ of words with each having the full length of the song in each individual composition i created in the master layer, in addition to the spin fx effect that i have not prerendered. After effects is trying to render alll these together basically. The extremely slow rendering procesing time arose  when i combined all individual lyric effect into the layer while also implementing typography tricks like in the same layer.

Basically, my question is should i reduce the frame work in each lyric composition to the exact section of the song that applies, and will this improve the overall rendering time in the master layer and solve my problem?

Also should i peform my typography skill like position, scaling rotation and so on in the individual layer/composition of the lyric effect i made in order to further save rendering time in the master layer?