6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 5:40 PM by A.T. Romano

Problem with Classroom in a book

Ermananda

I have been working through the lessons in Adobe Premier Elements 11 Classroom in a book and am having a problem with Lesson 6 "Creating a Picture-in-Picture overlay.  the lesson comes with Greenscreen.mov file to be used in the lesson but when I try to use it I get the error message in a pop up "This type of file is not supported, or the required codec is not installed.  As this is the file downloaded from the CD that came with the book and can't understand why I am having a problem using it.

• 1. Re: Problem with Classroom in a book
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Ermananda

The Adobe Classroom in a Book Series often comes with problem files.

At this point we want to determine if you have hit one of the problem files or there is a flaw in the workflow that you are trying out.

First and very important, do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 11?

Next, please describe how you are getting the Greenscreen.mov into the Premiere Elements 11 project...Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the .mov file to the Timeline.

a. Are you getting your error message when you import the .mov into the Project Assets?

or

b. Are you getting your error message after you have imported the file and when you decide to drag in from Project Assets into a work in progress Expert view Timeline? For that matter, are you working in the Expert workspace of the program?

Please review and then we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Problem with Classroom in a book
            Ermananda Level 1

Dear ATR

I just downloaded the latest Quick Time and installed it.  Still same problem.  I get the error message when I try and import the file into the assets.  When I drag it from assets into the time line I get a red screen with writing in multiple languages.  Having read your message and having downloaded the latest version of Quick Time when I go back into elements I can’t even import the greenscreen.mov into the assets panel.

• 3. Re: Problem with Classroom in a book
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ermananda

Where have you saved the lesson files that you are using, specifically this greenscreen.mov one?

Those colorful media online messages imply that there is a disconnect between what you imported and the hard drive save location of the original. When you import media into Premiere Elements, you have only copies of the originals in Project Assets, and those copies need to trace back to the originals that have been saved to the computer hard drive. Do you have the lesson file on an external hard drive? If so, move it to the C drive (Videos) and then try importing the file from there into the program with the program's Add Media/Files and Folders.

QuickTime is a requirement for the program. You will not be able to work with .mov and other related files without it. And, when you get to Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime, you will have no QuickTime presets without QuickTime installed.

Both Premiere Elements and QuickTime require that you are using the program as Run As Administrator sometimes in combo with from a User Account with Administrative Privileges. How are you set up in that regard?

Are you having problems with any other of the lesson files?

As I said, Classroom in a Book has had many lesson files issues. So we need to be careful distinguishing between that type of a problem versus and other.

Have you restarted the computer and tried again after the  QuickTime install?

Please review and let us know the outcome.

ATR

• 4. Re: Problem with Classroom in a book
                Ermananda Level 1

I have read your comments below.  The greenscreen.mov was transfered to the hard drive with the rest of the lesson files. 

I do not think there is a problem with Quick time as there is another mov file for this lesson, Lesson06.mov and it opens perfectly in the preview window.

The rest of the lesson files have been working well.  I have had an issue with keyframes in lesson 6, as the little yellow diamond would not appear when I clicked on the connector line where it meets the current time indicator.  However that is the only problem.

For you info when I started the picture in picture part of the lesson I am instructed to select the file Lesson_06Videomerge_Window.  As soon as I do that I get the File Import Failure message.

thanks for your time and trouble here.

As a further note I went on to lesson 7 creating transitions.  You start by openning Lesson07_Start_Win.prel.  It tells me to open the file Lesson07_Movie.mov in the project assets panel and to open and play it in the preview window.  When I do that the greenscreen.mov that I could not open in lesson 6 appears to be running in the preview mode but maybe that is because the whold clip is done together as a completed mov file??

• 5. Re: Problem with Classroom in a book
                  nealeh Level 5

Adobe Press have acknowledged the fault in the lesson 6 version of the file. But the correct version of the file appears elsewhere on the disk. the following link tells you where else you can find it:

http://www.adobepress.com/store/adobe-premiere-elements-11-classroom-in-a-book-97803218837 28

Note from the Publisher:

Regrettably, the file named Greenscreen.mov in the Lesson 6 folder on the companion disc is corrupt. However, that same file is included multiple times on the disc (in lessons 7, 8, 9 and 10), so please copy a file from any of these folders into the lesson06 folder on your hard drive (copying over the existing file) and the exercise should load normally. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience.

Cheers,
                  --
                  Neale
                  Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.

• 6. Re: Problem with Classroom in a book
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Ermananda

It appears that my first impression of your situation was correct, that is, another Classroom in a Book corrupt/damaged lesson file as confirmed by nealeh's detailed post numbered 5.

You may want to bookmark this thread and the link to the publisher since you may run into other corrupt/damaged files are you proceed through the book's lessons.

Regarding what you wrote

As a further note I went on to lesson 7 creating transitions.  You start by openning Lesson07_Start_Win.prel.  It tells me to open the file Lesson07_Movie.mov in the project assets panel and to open and play it in the preview window.  When I do that the greenscreen.mov that I could not open in lesson 6 appears to be running in the preview mode but maybe that is because the whold clip is done together as a completed mov file??

That might be explained by nealeh's report that the greenscreen.mov exists in more than one place.

The following is the link to the Premiere Elements 12 Help PDF. You might want to cross check with it as you go through your book's lessons.

http://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/premiere-elements_reference.pdf

Give the keyframing another look. If problems with the concept and its working through, please let us know and we can provide some step by step information on that.

Glad for the opportunity to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to ask if you need any help with your Premiere Elements workflows.

Thanks.

ATR