6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 11, 2014 1:21 AM by petersrin

SLOW computer post-render ...

thevisualedge1

Whenever I finish a good-sized render (lots of layers, large files, animation codec, etc), my computer spends up to 2 minutes working its *** off doing who knows what ... I hear the processor working like crazy and I can't do anything effectively with the system.  Even after it seems to be finished with whatever it's doing in the background, a simple function like opening the Mail app seems to take way too long and require too much processor effort.  My system just seems overhwhelmingly slow, and I can't figure out what the culprit is.

I'm using a 2007 MacPro with the following specs:

OS 10.7.5

2 x 2.66 GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon

5 GB 667 MHz DDR2

NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT (256MB VRAM)

I DO realize this is ancient technology by today's standards ... but I feel like this thing should be operating a bit quicker than it is.  I don't remember it ever being this slow. 

Out of the 250 GB of space on my hard drive, nearly 85 GB is free and available.  I know that having an overloaded hard drive can slow the system, but I can't see that being the problem here.

I routinely empty my After Effects disk cache. 

Any other suggestions would be welcome .... anyone else have this issue with the system that seems like it's working WAY too hard to perform simple functions?

I'm posting this in the AE forums because although my computer DOES seem to bog down a bit in general, it seems especially bad after I've just competed a render. 

• 1. Re: SLOW computer post-render ...
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're probably hearing the cooling fans, not the processor, cooling things off after rendering. Make sure everything is clean. I clean my machines every 60 days.

• 2. Re: SLOW computer post-render ...
            thevisualedge1 Level 1

Appreciate the reply, but it's definitely not the fans.  The fans have a whirring noise.  This is a crunching processor, working-its-tail-off noise, and again, it's slowing down everything else I try and do with the computer.  Opening Photoshop will take a solid 90 seconds, and that can't be because of the fans, can it?

• 3. Re: SLOW computer post-render ...
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What Rick is saying is that your processor could be getting overheated and it's having to work extra-hard to do simple things because of it.

Processors don't make a "crunching" noise. They don't make any noise.

Hard drives, however, do make a noise. (That's assuming they're the kind with disks that spin and a seek head; solid state drives are, naturally, silent.) Operating systems can use hard drives as a sort of RAM substitute when they need to. So, perhaps your RAM is overheated and your system is having to resort to using the hard disk. Or something is odd in your caches, etc.

What exact version number of AE are you running? 12.2.0? 11.0.4? 10.5.1?

• 4. Re: SLOW computer post-render ...
                thevisualedge1 Level 1

Okay, I gotcha.  Thank you for that clarification.  I should have known processors don't make noise, that was silly of me.  I was just trying to explain the sound that's being made. 

Your description makes sense.

I'm running AE CS6, more specifically 11.0.4.2.

• 5. Re: SLOW computer post-render ...
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I was hoping you were running a less up-to-date version because that might indicate caching issues or something. Oh well! Back to Rick's suggestion that your computer may be overheating or otherwise dealing with stress. Carefully open her up and clean her out (with canned air - not by blowing or hoovering of course ).

• 6. Re: SLOW computer post-render ...
                    petersrin

Bump. I'm having the same issue. I have a 2.7Ghz i7 with 6GB RAM, CS6. Not a beast of a system, but decent. OS X 10.8. After rendering out the queue, my computer will just grind to a halt. Only a restart will get me back up and running. Even if I purge all memory. It's quite frustrating.