15 Replies Latest reply on Feb 9, 2014 9:44 AM by A.T. Romano

Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?

ld5man

Running Premier Elements V11 with blank DVD disk in BLURAY burner. Windows 8.0.

• 1. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Can you create a folder on your hard drive and then use other software (such as Imgburn) to write the folder to DVD?

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1322583 for notes on installing Imgburn WITHOUT any toolbar add-ons

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1347988 may also help

• 2. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Id5man

What are you trying to burn to DVD disc? Are you aiming at DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc or AVCHD format on DVD disc? It sounds like AVCHD format on DVD disc.

Please be aware that you do not need a Blu-ray/DVD burner for either of the above. A "regular" DVD burner will do the job for either.

If you are getting the "Media Not Present" message, have you tried another brand/type of DVD disc? What brand and type DVD disc are you using?

Do you have a DVD burner besides this Blu-ray DVD burner? If so, have you tried using it instead?

If you are in a time crunch, you might consider burn to Folder (4.7 GB) and then

a. for the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, take the VIDEO_TS Folder in the saved folder to DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc with ImgBurn

or

b. for the AVCHD format on DVD disc, take the BDMV Folder in the saved folder to AVCHD format on DVD disc with ImgBurn

John has already mentioned the ImgBurn software for 3rd party burning purposes.

With further details and confirmations, I will give you a step by step on ImgBurn as it relates to your task.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
              ld5man Level 1

I am trying to burn AVCHD format to DVD disk. I can burn DVD format with no problem. I have tried Verbatim(DVD+R,-R,+R DL). I think I was able to do this sucessfully several months ago, but now I can't. It's like something has changed since then. I know there are ways to work arround this problem, but I was hoping other people may have run into this and come up with a solution.

Thanks

• 4. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Did you click the 1347988 link I provided... and then the other links inside that message to see if any of those discussions would help?

Also, go back to http://forums.adobe.com/community/premiere_elements  and, in the area just under Ask a Question, type in

media not present

You may now read previous discussions on this subject... be sure to click the See More Results at the bottom of the initial, short list if the initial list does not answer your question

• 5. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Id5man

Thanks for the reply.

The classical source of the problem is a disc issue. You have checked out the Verbatim DVD+R and DVD + R DL that you have and that has not solved the problem. Do you have any Verbatim DVD-R? For troubleshooting purposes ONLY at this time, have you tried the AVCHD burn to folder (I am not even asking for you to take that to disc in a 3rd party program. Just see if you get a successful AVCHD burn to folder. If you do, that throws the troubleshooting focus back to the burner and the disc.

If this were a target at the DVD burner not being recognized, then an often effective remedy is refreshing the DVD drivers

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cd-dvd-drive-recognized-application.html

But, that is not your problem and am not even sure if it is applicable to your Blu-ray DVD burner.

How certain are you of the following

I think I was able to do this sucessfully several months ago, but now I can't.

Same brand/type discs, same burner, same everything?

Most people with the type of problem that you described are steered by some to the burn to folder or getting another burner. I understand you want to use the program's burn to disc rather than any burn to folder. In that context, we could look at

a. deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file

Local Disk C

Users

Owners

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and in the 11.0 Folder is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. Make sure that you are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives active so that you can see the complete path.

Another approach (more drastic) is the

a. In the opened project, Help Menu/Deactivate

b. Uninstall via the usual Control Panel route

c. Run through with ccleaner to get rid of any leftovers from incomplete installs and reinstalls

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

d. Reinstall with anti-virus and firewalls turned off

I would probably make trying a DVD-R disc a priority here.

Please review and then let us know of your progress.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
                    ld5man Level 1

DVD-R doesn't work either. I'm almost positive it worked in april/may 2013 with the same disks and hardware. I'll try burning to a folder and let you know. I'm also going to get a blank BLURAY disk and see what happens.

Follow-up later

• 7. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ld5man

We will be looking forward to your follow up.

Until you are certain of your discs and program performance, you might want to consider BD-RE discs which are the Blu-ray discs that can be overwritten in Premiere Elements burn to disc Blu-ray.

An chance you have an external DVD burner available? You should be able to use that to burn your AVCHD to DVD disc.

More later.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
                        ld5man Level 1

Burning to a folder works fine. Don't have an external burner. Ordered both BD_R & BD-RE disks.

Follow-up later

• 9. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Id5man

You know there is no burn to folder for Blu-ray in Premiere Elements (any version).

One workaround for that is described in my blog post on the subject. You might find it of interest now or at a later date.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/11/pe12-disc-imagephantom-burner-pe.html

More later.

ATR

• 10. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
                            ld5man Level 1

The AVCHD video that I am trying to burn is less than 9 minutes. If Premier Elements erronously thought that it was to big to fit on a DVD, would it display the "media not present" message?  Also, the AVCHD folder I created was just over 1GB.

• 11. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Id5man

You wrote

If Premier Elements erronously thought that it was to big to fit on a DVD, would it display the "media not present" message?

I have never seen that to be the case. What has happened under those circumstances, I would get a message regarding Insufficient Space in the Status field.

But, you can prove this point...make a copy of your project with the 9 minutes content. Then cut the content to 1/2 or 1/4 and then try to burn that to AVCHD on DVD. You should end up with the same results as with the whole content, that is, Status: "Media Not Present" if you are using the same batch of discs.

Please check out the above and let us know the outcome. Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 12. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
                                ld5man Level 1

As you suspected a much smaller file(1 min) didn't work either. Used IMGBURN to burn AVCHD folder to DVD disk and it worked fine. Got the BD disks I ordered today, same problem with BLURAY or AVCHD. The defect must be in Premier Elements. It's hard to believe more people have not run in to this.

• 13. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ld5man

Thanks for the update. Sorry there was not a breakthrough in the results. I did not expect that disc capacity would be behind this "media not present" issue.

What do I understand correctly...at the present time, you cannot do the Premiere Elements 11 burn to disc AVCHD format on DVD disc or well as the Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?

You said you do not have an external Blu-ray/DVD disc to cross check against. I do not know if it would be worth your while, but you could always roll back, do you think that taking Windows 8 64 bit to 8.1 64 bit might impact the situation? I do not know.

I was not too happy when I went from 8 to 8.1, especially about the Microsoft Account that it appears to force on the user. So as fast as I went to 8.1, I was back at 8. But then online reports gave tips on how to avoid some of the pitfalls that concerned me. So, back I went to 8.1 with these posted how tos. I am now staying with Windows 8.1 64 bit.

A borrowed Blu-ray/DVD burner might be a better choice depending on the circumstances.

ATR

• 14. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
                                    ld5man Level 1

Your understanding is correct. Since this worked correctly in the past,

I suspect there is a corrupted Premier Elements registry entry. Not knowing anything about the PE implementation, I would not know what to look for in the registry. However, I bet someone in PE development would know. Any connections?

Also, I don't believe this problem has anything to do with the Windows operating system since IMGBURN works correctly with the same disks and burner.

Finally, how are problems reported to PE development?  As of now, I can't create BLU-RAY disks with PE unless I want to go the Phamton Burner route.

• 15. Re: Why am I getting "media not present" attempting to burn AVCHD disk?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Id5man

In the scheme of things I am a no body with no Adobe connections.

I can navigate the Registry with instructions, but to search for unknowns is another matter unless Computer/Manage/Event Viewer/Windows Logs/Application points me in the right direction. I do not think that we are going to get any clues from the DVD focused link to refreshing the DVD drivers

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/cd-dvd-drive-recognized-application.html

But, maybe take a another look at it.

As for Adobe contact, Adobe typically deals only with purchased/registered/current version. I am not sure if it would look at your issue even for a fee. But you could double check on that.

Have we discussed (for troubleshooting purposes only) downloading and installing the free 30 day tryout out of Premiere Elements 12 from Adobe to determine if it will support your burner in these burn to activities?

Please let me know if version 12 as a troubleshooting tool is a viable one for you.

Thanks.

ATR