7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 11:06 AM by Amazing...

I updated Flash Player, and now it says the plug-in is blocked...

Amazing...

I am on an iMac (OS X, version 10.6.8), running Safari (5.1.10).

Flash was running fine.
      I got a notice on Facebook that I needed to update my Flash Player.
      Silly me, DID!

And now, it says the 'plug-in is blocked' and I need to update.

So I updated again. Still blocked.
      I did a re-start after the update, thinking that might help. Nope.

Well, this is one way to get me off of Facebook, thanks a bunch! :-)

• 1. Re: I updated Flash Player, and now it says the plug-in is blocked...
          TetonFan57 Level 1

I don't think it is Facebook's fault.  I got an update notice when I was not on Facebook and the same thing has happened.  It won't install the Flash Player and I get a Blocked Plug-In message.

• 2. Re: I updated Flash Player, and now it says the plug-in is blocked...
            Mike M Level 6

Clean Install on OS 10.6.8.pdf

There are detailed, illustrated, step-by-step instructions that'll solve this for you.

• 3. Re: I updated Flash Player, and now it says the plug-in is blocked...
              Amazing... Level 1

Wow Mike, that's pretty technical and I hate to get that involved when it's supposed to be just a 'click-here' to update.

I gotta ask, since I'm new here, but your logo doesn't say Adobe Staff... how am I to know you are legit? or a scammer trying to get into my computer? LOL, but seriously!
              And then the link sends me off-site...
              Am I suspicious? YES!
              Do I want the flash player to work? YES!

• 4. Re: I updated Flash Player, and now it says the plug-in is blocked...
                Mike M Level 6

I'm a freelance web/graphic designer/videographer who makes his living with Adobe™ products.

My work allows me to help here while designing websites for clients, so I "give back" to the comapny that enables my livelihood.

The link goes to MY own website, where I have the PDF for download.

I did that with my Snow Leopard machine over last weekend. It's easier than posting all the pictures for every step, here. There are two links in the PDF:

1. is the latest Flash Player for Mac right here at Adobe™.

2. is the End User License Agreement right here at Adobe™.

See my info?

3.jpg

4705 pts, means I've solved at leaast 400 people's troubles here (and helped a lot more) JUST in the last 9 months, but I've been here since 2004 under three other account names.

Most of the people I help are Mac users because I'm a 12 year Mac user myself, and was once Apple certified.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: I updated Flash Player, and now it says the plug-in is blocked...
                  mtngigi Level 1

It's not just an FB issue - I'm having the same issues this morning - all Adobe prompts to fix anything and everything just say "blocked plug in". My system is not recognizing the latest version of Flash I was prompted to download (which I've done 5 times now).

Mike M, I'm sure your fixes might work, but my old MacPro is living on borrowed time and I don't dare do a shut down or restart - especially since my disk drive won't open and I would not be able to reboot from my install disk.

I'm at a loss.

• 6. Re: I updated Flash Player, and now it says the plug-in is blocked...
                    Mike M Level 6

Check the Security settings in Safari to be sure Plug-ins are allowed.

Try trashing the Preferences:

com.apple.Safari.Extensions.plist

and

com.apple.Safari.plist

in your [user]Library/Preferences folder.

To access your {user]Library folder (10.7 and up) hold the :Option" key when clicking "Go" from the Finder menu.

For 10,6 and below, it's in your Home folder.

Empty the trash after trashing the preferences and relaunch Safari.

• 7. Re: I updated Flash Player, and now it says the plug-in is blocked...
                      Amazing... Level 1

Mike, thank you for the reassurance.
                      I'm pretty basic in my computer knowledge, and I hear stuff all the time about folks wanting to get into my computer to steal all of my valuable info, lol, so I guess you could say I'm paranoid? Or a little paranoid?
                      I did go check your member info out, and was reassured by it.

It might be the hat you're wearing. I'm a farmer/cowgirl. The BAD guys wear black, dontcha know? At least that's how it used to be.

I'll try the fix you posted, and thank you for posting it!

I realize it isn't a Facebook issue, but about the only time I use Flash is when I'm on Facebook.