2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 2:00 PM by futureSpooker

C4D Import Plugin vs Cineware for camera import

futureSpooker Level 1

As has been previously reported, importing a moving camera from C4D into AE using Cineware's "extract" feature doesn't hold up very well if you're camera is being controlled by tags, nested in nulls, or anything that it's a plain transform at the root coordinates of the scene. There are plenty of work-arounds but none of that should be necessary as the old C4D Import exchange plugin used to work perfectly by baking the keyframes on export.

I've installed the latest version of the plugin which imports the .aec file as it used to, but intists on giving me errors messages every time I open AE. If Adobe is going to drop one of the most useful and necessary features ( getting a reliable camera from C4D to AE ) via the old plugin, at least make the camera import through Cineware work properly first.

Everything is updated to the latest version. C4D is r15 Studio.

Here are the errors ( 3 in total ) in order. Just clicking "OK" dismisses them, but why are they there to begin with?

error_1.png

error_2.png

error_3.png

• 1. Re: C4D Import Plugin vs Cineware for camera import
          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

> If Adobe is going to drop one of the most useful and necessary features ( getting a reliable camera from C4D to AE ) via the old plugin, at least make the camera import through Cineware work properly first.

I don't understand. We didn't drop anything. The importer plug-in that you are referring to is a plug-in from Maxon. If it's not working in the current version, that would be a conversation to have with Maxon.

As it happens, though, this importer plug-in should still work fine in After Effects CC; it's just causing these spurious (and admittedly annoying) error messages on start-up. Are you in fact able to use the importer now, once you've dismissed these error messages?

Maxon is working on issuing a new version of their importer plug-in that doesn't give these error messages. One of my coworkers is in contact with them about this to see when that will be available.

• 2. Re: C4D Import Plugin vs Cineware for camera import
            futureSpooker Level 1

My appologies for the confusion. I was mistaken on the origin of the plugin, thinking it was from the same developer as Cineware.

The plugin does correctly import the .aec file, but there seems to be alot of confusion when reading around because of the new inclusion of Cineware and the errors on startup, the combination of the two making it briefly appear as if the old plugin no longer worked.

It's good to hear you're working with Maxon. I'll keep my eye out for the updated version.