9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 4:04 AM by nealeh

File is not supported by windows?

Em123456

When I go to play to exported video it says that windows does not support the file even though I've exported it all the different ways you can... no matter what I do it won't play.

• 1. Re: File is not supported by windows?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Em123456

Details please.

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

What did you select as the export for your Premiere Elements Timeline when this file was produced there? What were your export settings. Please be very detailed here.

When you go to play your export, what player are you using and what is the specific message, word for word, so that we know

a. that the player does not support the format

or

b. that the Windows computer operating system does not support file

Knowing the details requested above will be essential to planning a troubleshooting strategy and/or defining considerations that have been overlooked in player specifications.

Looking forward to your follow up. Please do not hesitate to ask questions and ask for clarification on anything written.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: File is not supported by windows?
            John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Also... what is inside your video file?

Codec & Format information, read both links in reply #1 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1270588

Report back with the codec details of your file, use the programs below... A screen shot works well to SHOW people what you are doing

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/592070?tstart=30 for screen shot instructions

Find file information for PC/Mac http://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo/Download

• 3. Re: File is not supported by windows?
              Em123456 Level 1

I have Premiere Elements 12 and I run it on Windows 8.

When I go to export the videos I’ve tried:

-          MPEG and “NTSC DVD Standard” which is what they have chosen for you already

-          MPEG and “HD 720p 25”

-          Windows Media and “720x480 16x9 29.97”

I use Windows media player when I go to play them and it says “loading media” but nothing happens and I also use my windows video app on my computer and it says “that item was encoded in a format that’s not supported by your version of Windows”

Also the videos I am editing are .MOV files just from my camera and they open with anything basically…

Is there more information I can give you?

• 4. Re: File is not supported by windows?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Em123456

Just a reminder that all the details of your export should give us the information that we need. For that no 3rd party software is needed. Just telling us what you used referencing back to the program's sharing area and the settings used.

What is inside the video file should be packaged inside the details that you will supply for your export choice and the Export settings used (either default export setting used or export setting customized under the Advanced Button/Video Tab & Audio Tab of what you selected under Presets.

Although MediaInfo is an excellent resource for gathering the properties of a video file, we should be able to bypass the download and install of that program and get all the information that we need from your export details and

a. Information on the players

and

b. what the error messages is really saying

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: File is not supported by windows?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Em123456

Windows 8 does not support the play back of MPEG2 video, and your export information supports that you are producing video with MPEG2 video compression.

Based on what you wrote: you are exporting your Timeline content via

Publish+Share

Computer

MPEG

with Presets = NTSC DV Standard

(Video Compression is MPEG2).

All the preset choices under the above use MPEG2 video compression.

That .mov is just a file extension (wrapper format) that wraps the video and audio compression). Although your source may have a .mov file extension, you export has MPEG2 video compression with a .mpg file extension.

I have more comments that I will put in the next post.

ATR

• 6. Re: File is not supported by windows?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Em123456

Please try the export of

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with the preset of NTSC DV Standard

and then let us know if that file plays back on your computer player (and which ones).

Also, does your ".mov" file play back on your computer even before it ever gets into Premiere Elements 12 on Windows 8 64 bit. If so, what player are you using? Does QuickTime play it back? Does Windows Media Player play it back?

I just want to make sure that I am not overlooking something else going on beyond the Windows 8 and playback of DVD and MPEG2 known issue (independant of Premiere Elements).

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...Please do not hesitate to let me know if I have misinterpreted anything that you have written.

Add On..Please check out

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-pictures/how-to-get-windows-8-t o-be-able-to-read-mpg-or/d6b3ae63-5dee-4644-b248-569a74feb73e

• 7. Re: File is not supported by windows?
                      Em123456 Level 1

Thank you so much! I would have never of thought to export the video with AVCHD. It opens with Windows Media player and I tried a few different files exported that way as well and they work.

Thanks again for your help!

• 8. Re: File is not supported by windows?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Em123456

Great, great news.

Glad that the AVCHD export worked for you. You should get excellent quality results with it.

Continued success. Remember, never hesitate to ask if you need help with your Premiere Elements workflows. I was a lot uneasy when I went to Windows 8 64 bit, even more so when I went to Windows 8.1 64 bit. But after a while everything goes into place.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: File is not supported by windows?
                          nealeh Level 5

If your version of Windows 8 is Windows 8 Pro then you can play MPEG files in the Windows Media Centre.

Cheers,
                          --
                          Neale
                          Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

If this post or another user's post resolves the original issue, please mark the posts as correct and/or helpful accordingly. This helps other users with similar trouble get answers to their questions quicker. Thanks.