• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 12 Unstructured mode crashes when trying to print a Book

New Here ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am running FrameMaker 12 in Unstructured mode.

When I try to print a book (Unstructured) to a Postscript file, FrameMaker 12 crashes.

I can print a individual FrameMaker document (Unstructured) with no problems.

This behaves like the same FrameMaker 11 (Unstructured mode) printing problem that was fixed by patch 11.0.1.

Any ideas?

Will there be a patch to fix this problem in FrameMaker 12?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 05, 2014 Feb 05, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tested this with several books and I don't get a crash - it works as expected in my FM12 configuration (TCS5 version).

1. Have you opened all of the files in the book first?

2. Is this a book converted from an earlier version of FM?

3. Have you tried either a  MIF-wash of the book or re-creating the book file?

4. Dos it crash for all books or just one particular one?

5. Does it work in Structured mode without a crash on the same book file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 06, 2014 Feb 06, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not have the complete TCS5 suite, just Framemaker 12 and Acrobat XI Pro.

I  created several books and all of the files directly in FrameMaker 12 (Unstructured mode).

I opened all the files in each book first, before attempting to print.

The crash occurs with every book in when running in Unstructured mode.

When running in Structured mode, the books print correctly to PS files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for confirming the behaviour with structured FM. This is appears to be the same gremlin that crept in at the start of the FM11 release and has been reported to Adobe in India.

Q: Why do you need to produce postscript file from FM12? The SaveAsPDF option is very stable nowadays and is the recommended route for creating PDFs. If you still need postscript for a device from the last century, then it is recommended to create the ps file from the PDF using Acrobat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2014 Feb 07, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Arnis!

I hope that a patch is issued quickly.

I still need to create postscript due to department procedures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 12, 2014 Feb 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 25, 2014 Aug 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis,

I also consistently crash/freeze upon generating a PDF in FrameMaker 12. It happened in FM 10, which is why we upgraded to FM12 thinking that would help. I had Patch 12.02 installed but nothing helps. My book is only a few MB. One of my books was converted to PDF on another system but it took 30 minutes--not a reasonable response. We have tried printing locally instead of on the server. I don't know what else to do. Please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 25, 2014 Aug 25, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Recommend you start a new thread, not add on to an old thread that might not be related. When you do, please tell how you are creating the PDF from FrameMaker and what version of Acrobat you have installed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same problem and remember it from the FM11 release. I do not have the complete TCS5 suite, just FM12 and Acrobat X Pro.

I've opened/converted 3 FM11 unstructured books to FM12 and get the same Print Book crash on all 3 books. ALL of the individual files in each book print correctly. Creating a new book and using the same files also causes the same crash. Selecting a group of files in a book and running Print Selected Files also crashes FM12.

The crash happens before the Print Book dialog box appears. I'm also noticing that the two files in the book are not automatically selected during the Print Book command. On FM11 all of the files are correctly selected.  

The Save As PDF with the Book selected works correctly. It's a little funny, because for years we all have been saying, "Don't use Save As PDF, print to postscript" 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tom,

Can you verify that using Structured mode works properly, i.e. doesn't crash FM when printing a book?

FWIW, the SaveAsPDF function has been substantially improved over the last few releases and is the recommended route for creating PDFs. You just have to ensure that the AdobePDF printer instance is set as you default for the FM session. Use the Sundorne SetPrint utility to guarantee this (see: http://sundorne.com/FrameMaker/Freeware/setPrint.htm).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Arnis,

Yes it works correctly in Structured mode.

Thanks for the help!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines