8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 6:49 AM by wkjeiwoi

Pasting from Illustrator and "overhead"

wkjeiwoi Level 1

I like that I can copy from Illustrator and paste into InDesign, but what are the pitfalls about, let's call it, "overhead" that might result from pasting an element from Illustrator as opposed to creating that element in InDesign.

Example:  In illustrator, I have a bunch (100+) of dimensions with arrows already created. I'm making  wireframes in InDesign from simple boxes and it would be a huge time savings to copy the arrows/dimensions from Illustrator and paste them into my InDesign document.

However, I'm concerned that the resulting InDesign file might not be as "pure" as it ought to be, or as fast to edit, etc., owing to the pasted stuff.

Any thoughts on this?

Thank you!

w

• 1. Re: Pasting from Illustrator and "overhead"
          Steve Werner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

InDesign won't let you paste a very large graphic. If it's too large, it will throw up a message telling you that it's converting it to an EPS file (which will not be editable).

• 2. Re: Pasting from Illustrator and "overhead"
            wkjeiwoi Level 1

Alright...and if I do not paste something too large, or containing gradients, etc, will InDesign regard those pasted items as alien, or regard them as though created in InDesign in the first place?

Thank you!

w

• 3. Re: Pasting from Illustrator and "overhead"

If they are small, and contain only colors, they will become InDesign vector objects. They will not be "alien" objects!

• 4. Re: Pasting from Illustrator and "overhead"
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I did a project once (note the once) where I pasted from Illustrator into multiple documents. It was a real pain to edit -- I had to update the same stuff in each file instead of doing a single edit in Illustrator and updating links for placed art.

• 5. Re: Pasting from Illustrator and "overhead"

Yes, Peter, good point. It's one of the same reason we normally don't want to embed images into InDesign. A linked graphic ususually works better for many workflows (and doesn't increase file size to boot).

• 6. Re: Pasting from Illustrator and "overhead"
                    rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

However, I'm concerned that the resulting InDesign file might not be as "pure" as it ought to be, or as fast to edit, etc., owing to the pasted stuff...

They will not be "alien" objects!

If you set your Clipboard Handling preference to Prefer PDF then the pasted AI object will always be PDF—in OSX it's a PDF no matter what the preference setting.

The pasted PDF object acts the same way on export or output as a linked version and live transparency is maintained, so the only downsided of pasting would be the ID file size and the difficulty in editing the original. Unless you are pasting images file size probably isn't going to be a problem.

Here's an exported PDF/X-4 with a pasted AI object on the left with the same object placed and linked on the right. Acrobat's object inspector tells me they are identical:

Screen Shot 2014-02-06 at 9.11.46 AM.png

• 7. Re: Pasting from Illustrator and "overhead"
                      rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I'm making  wireframes in InDesign from simple boxes and it would be a huge time savings to copy the arrows/dimensions from Illustrator and paste them into my InDesign document.

If the AI files have been saved you could use Mini Bridge to drag and drop, which will give you linked objects. Dragging and dropping from Bridge is probably going to be faster than cutting and pasting:

ScreenSnapz001.png

• 8. Re: Pasting from Illustrator and "overhead"
                        wkjeiwoi Level 1

I bet it was a huge headache..

In this example, my goal is not to use some graphics multiple times in which case the best procedure is to have 1 instance of the original graphic imported such that changes to the original mean that each instance is updated.

my goal is to avoid re-drawing some vector elements which I've already drawn and which I would want to be live and editable in InDesign after I copy them from Illustrator and paste them into InDesign.

in this case, the objects are lines without arrows and lines with arrows plus the text showing numerical values for the dimensions.

Thank you!

w