5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 2:08 PM by A.T. Romano

Deactivating Premiere

daniel.brose

Hi all,

I have the problem that I can't activate my copy of Premiere Elements 9 because there are already 2 copies active. I can't deactive these 2 copies because I had to reinstall these systems in the past because of data loss / hdd failure.

What to do?

Regards

Daniel

• 1. Re: Deactivating Premiere
          JMJarrige Level 2

When I had to re-install my Version 9 after a mother-board failure, I contacted Adobe support

by chat (on the site), because I had the 2 installs already used.

I gave my serial number and the support changed the allowed number of installs for the time

necessary to install the software on the new PC, for 1 or 2 days.

Every thing was then OK and the number of installs was moved to the official number (2)

by the support guy.

Bonne chance.

JM

• 2. Re: Deactivating Premiere
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Daniel

You need Adobe via its Adobe Chat to sort through the details of this for you.

Click on the following link. When the link opens, click on the statement "I still need help" to bring up the Adobe Chat.

http://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?product=premiere-elements&topic=serial-number-issues-o r-activating-my-product

I have pre-set the link for "Serial Number Issues or Activating My Product".

Please let us know the outcome.

Thanks.

ATR

• 3. Re: Deactivating Premiere
              daniel.brose Level 1

Hi all,

I talked to the Adobe support via the chat and they could help me, although

* the employee made clear that it was an exception

* only one activation was reset so I could activate it on one computer

IMHO there are some "weaknesses" in this kind of licensing...

Thanks for the help!

Daniel

• 4. Re: Deactivating Premiere
                John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

>reinstall these systems in the past because of data loss / hdd failure

Hardware crashes or virus infections or simple software problems happen, so you should buy AND USE software to make a full backup of your hard drive to an external USB hard drive... plus, making step-by-step backups during a new setup or major program addition makes it easy to go back a step if something doesn't work

This backup and then restore is, of course, only to the same computer with a new drive (or the same drive as long as you don't mind writing over everything) since doing a restore to a new computer won't work due to Windows and many programs having activation information that is keyed to your hardware (which is why Windows will force you to RE-Activate if you change very much hardware)

The product I use is at http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/image-for-linux.htm

Image runs off of a bootable CD via Linux (the Zip you download includes a program to make the bootable CD) and it reads EVERYTHING on the drive, even the hidden registration information, so everything is restored when needed... and you may restore the image to a brand new drive in case of a crash, and not have to re-install anything

• 5. Re: Deactivating Premiere
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Daniel

Thanks for the update.

Glad that you were able to get at least that one program activated on your computer with the assist of Adobe via Adobe Chat.

I will have to check out John's link for further details of his lifesaver. I have not tried that kind of lifesaver so something to explore, just in case.

If you try it, please let us know your results. But, hoping that you do not have the occasion to need such a backup again.

Thanks.

ATR