14 Replies Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 6:31 AM by MW Design

Adobe - no way

jonasrrr

I wanted to buy Indesign. Can't find a way to buy it for a one-time fee, I don't want any subscription. The website is very slow. No way to contact sales service: No email address, chat is offline, no contact form, they redirect between useless FAQ-pages.

That I had to enter my question twice is this webform is symptomatic for that company: They develop webserver software, but their own site is not only slow but also full of bugs and security problems, as we could see some weeks ago. Adobe, if you want to stay leader in your business you should make an effort in customer service.

Byebye Adobe, I'll download MS Publisher trial - and if that doesn't help I'll look around for something else - I'm fed up with that kind of customer-nonservice.

• 1. Re: Adobe - no way
          Migintosh Level 4

We're not actually Adobe. We're Adobe software users like yourself, who ask and answer questions about the various programs. If Publisher works for you, enjoy it. I haven't used it myself, but I've heard it will only get you so far. Maybe that's all you need, but you will have to judge that for yourself.

• 2. Re: Adobe - no way
            jonasrrr Level 1

I know you're not Adobe - that makes it even worse: They don't give you an opportunity to contact them, you're sent to other users if somthing doesn't work. But who knows, maybe they read the forum from time to time...

• 3. Re: Adobe - no way
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Not Adobe either

www.adobe.com/company/contact.html

Simples.

Ms Publisher might be ok for you - but you will pay big bucks for a printing company to convert that to a working file for printing on printing presses or even digitally.

MS Publisher is not standard software in a Prepress environment - so expect additional print charges per file.

I know from experience having worked in prepress for nearly 6 years that MS Publisher files are not very compliant.

You can make print ready files from MS Publisher, but the lay person can't.

If you want a one time license for Adobe InDesign you can get Adobe InDesign CS6

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dsoftware&field-keywords=adobe% 20indesign%20cs6&sprefix=adobe+indesign+c%2Csoftware&rh=i%3Asoftware%2Ck%3Aadobe%20indesig n%20cs6

• 4. Re: Adobe - no way

There's a FAQ on the Creative Cloud

http://www.adobe.com/ie/products/creativecloud/faq.html

If you don't think it suits you then don't buy it.

If you want you can trial it for a month and have access to every single Application that Adobe offers.

Or you can simply trial InDesign CC for a month.

Up to you.

• 5. Re: Adobe - no way
                  Derek Cross Level 6

If you're a newcomer to InDesign you'd do well to get some training. Lynda.com, for example, have some excellent online videos.

And you can ask questions on this forum about specific issues and get answers from some of the helpful, and friendly, experts on here.

For example, you might ask what advantages you may get by subscribing to InDesignCC rather than buying CS6 (not to mention MSPublisher!).

Derek

• 6. Re: Adobe - no way
                    jonasrrr Level 1

Thanks for all your answers.

Just a quick reply, and then that's it.

Eugene Tyson:

Your contact link doesn't work for me. No matter what option I try, at the end I can chose from the support chat, which is offline, or the forum here. May be different if you come from the US or somwhere else, I don't know. Nothing simple there, but very time consuming.

I have used Indesign for 8 years, but because I don't always need the most current version (I'm still on CS5 and would be fine with that, but there's one more computer I need a license for), Creative Cloud is far to expensive. That's why I wanted to buy CS6 as the last version I ever buy from Adobe, but unfortunately they don't let me buy it because of their horribly slow website and them trying to keep people away from contacting them.

I don't know if Publisher suits my needs, but I'll give it a try. As I mostly use digital printing there is no problem with printing - I just send a PDF.

Jonas

• 7. Re: Adobe - no way
                      Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

You can still buy CS6 as a perpetual license, for full price, so no bargain there, either.

• 8. Re: Adobe - no way

If you copy that url for Contact into google it should return a result.

I am not in the US and it works fine for me.

I'm still on CS5.5 and have no need to go up to CC just yet. But eventually I will.

I provided a link to the Amazon site where you can purchase CS5, CS5.5 and CS6 as a one time fee.

You can't always dictate what printing machine a company will use when sending over files. Files can be rejected for various reasons, even for digital - and mostly because of poor prepress standards and old Prepress checks by outdated software settings.

jonasrrr wrote:

horribly slow website and them trying to keep people away from contacting them.

I don't find the website slow at all - and I have no problem contacting them here.

• 9. Re: Adobe - no way
                          Sandee Cohen Adobe Community Professional

Jonasrr,

First, if you really want to use MS Publisher, by all means do it. I have taught hundreds of students whose offices have used Publisher for in-house publications. They have no problems at all if they output to office printing machines.

If you need to print your files at a commercial print shop, read this article about using Publisher with a commercial print shop:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/publisher-help/take-your-publisher-file-to-a-commercial- printer-HP010081966.aspx?CTT=1

However, those students all came to my ID classes because they found that Publisher did not meet their needs for advanced layout/composition features.

Now, if you want to buy InDesign CS6, on its own, without a subscription, go to:

http://www.adobe.com/products/catalog/cs6._sl_id-contentfilter_sl_catalog_sl_software_sl_c reativesuite6.html

Then scroll down to the listing for InDesign CS6 and click the Buy button

CS6 perpetual.png

Once you click the Buy button, you have the choice of the upgrade price.

upgrade price.png

If you have been to this page, and it is too slow for you, you can purchase by phone.

phone.png

You will have to download the software as there are no boxes being shipped. But if you talk to Adobe by phone, they may know of a solution that I don't know about.

I wish you luck in your endeavors.

• 10. Re: Adobe - no way
                            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

@ Sandee,

I don't think that upgrade is going to do any good -- it's to upgrade an exisiting license, not to add a new one.

• 11. Re: Adobe - no way

Sandee - I once worked on a BMW car owners manual (the manual that comes with a car to keep record of the servicing) in MS Publisher.

We printed on litho presses. Turned out quite nice.

But it wasn't easy at all.

We offered to do it in Quark, at the time we didn't have InDesign, but the client wanted print ready Publisher files so they could keep updating it themselves.

Well that's my only MS Publisher story.

• 12. Re: Adobe - no way

@ Peter

You're right. For the additional license, the upgrade won't help. That's $699. But he's also going to have to upgrade the original computer running CS5 to CS6 so the two computers match. That's going to be $249. For a grand total of $748.

• 13. Re: Adobe - no way

@ Eugene,

MS has a "Pack and Go Wizard" that bundles up the Publisher files with images, fonts, etc.

But I'm assuming a print shop wouldn't mind a PDF generated from Publisher as long as the colors are CMYK and the black is solid K.

Glad it worked out well.

I want products like Publisher to do well. It gives Adobe an incentive to create a "light or elements" version of InDesign that would be an alternative to the full one. And gives me a new book to write .

• 14. Re: Adobe - no way
                                    MW Design Level 4

Jonas, you have been shown how to pick up a copy of CS6. So I won't bother with that aspect. It's spendy but it's a one-time thing.

MS Publisher can produce files just fine for either digital or film. A little more care needs to be taken in creating them, but you're a professional and you'll figure it out. It's not rocket science.

Serif PagePlus is another option, but PC only unless using parallels or another route to run it on a Mac. Relatively inexpense. Especially if you get one version back (I think Amazon has it real cheap).

Viva Designer is another option. Native Mac, PC and Linux. Multi-lingual. They also have competitive upgrades.