7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2007 4:20 PM by Newsgroup_User

as2 + as3

Level 7
      Hi,

is it possible to mix actionscript 3 with actionscript 2? Like loading
      an as3 movie into an as2 project. To benefit from the simplicity of as2
      and the power of as3. Or is there any reason not to combine both movies?

TIA
        • 1. Re: as2 + as3
          Greg Dove Level 4
          I don't think I've ever heard of loading as3 into an as2 project. I don't think its possible.

It is possible to do it the other way around. But the loaded as2 swf cannot communicate with its parent as3 swf directly. I believe you need to use the LocalConnection with in each swf.

I've not done it... others who have may know more may be able to offer more detailed advice (or correct mine if its wrong)
          • 2. Re: as2 + as3
            kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
            you can load an as3 swf into an as2 swf, but the as3 actionscript won't execute.
            • 3. Re: as2 + as3
              Greg Dove Level 4
              kglad: great to know (and you made me pleased that I included a disclaimer above ;-) ) . I realise your answer is factual (i.e. you are stating that is is possible) and doesn't necessarily reflect what you would choose to do... but could you ever conceive of a good reason to do that? I guess it could arise out of need with assets coming from different sources. I can only think of it as a potential solution to a problem, but I can't think of a good reason for choosing to do it by design.

Marco: I think kglad's answer basically gives you a "no". Because without actionscript 3 in an as3 swf, you don't have the 'power' you were talking about even in you can load it into an as2 container.
              • 4. Re: as2 + as3
                kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                you wouldn't mix as2 and as3 swfs unless you had no other choice or the alternative (converting as2 to as3 or vice-versa) is more work than it's worth. and you certainly wouldn't do that by design: there are no advantages to mixing and plenty of substantial disadvantages.
                • 5. Re: as2 + as3
                  Level 7
                  kglad wrote:
                  > you wouldn't mix as2 and as3 swfs unless you had no other choice or the
                  > alternative (converting as2 to as3 or vice-versa) is more work than it's worth.
                  > and you certainly wouldn't do that by design: there are no advantages to
                  > mixing and plenty of substantial disadvantages.

My advantage would be that I use AS2 for a longer time and I'am used to
                  combine scripts and movieclips. But AS3 often runs faster. On the other
                  hand it usually has more declarations and is more orientated to only use
                  classes. As I mentioned AS2: simple, AS3: faster, object orientated. I
                  wouldn't describe it as 'no advantages'.
                  • 6. Re: as2 + as3
                    Damon Edwards Level 3
                    If your case is only that, "AS2:simple", than you are fighting a loosing battle here. There are so many disadvantages to mixing the two together, that "simple" is not strong enough to support the cause. If AS2 is so simple for you, you should really have no problem swing over to AS3. This is not a case of peanut butter and jelly, it's more like mayonnaise on chinese food. The two just don't mix.
                    • 7. Re: as2 + as3
                      Level 7
                      dzedward wrote:
                      > If your case is only that, "AS2:simple", than you are fighting a loosing battle
                      > here. There are so many disadvantages to mixing the two together, that
                      > "simple" is not strong enough to support the cause. If AS2 is so simple for
                      > you, you should really have no problem swing over to AS3. This is not a case
                      > of peanut butter and jelly, it's more like mayonnaise on chinese food. The two
                      > just don't mix.

Jeylly, penaut butter, chinese food, WHAT? Come on, do you thing this is
                      a question of taste here?

It is just about calling functions from AS2 that are defined in AS2 (as
                      public), thats all nothing more. I don't see your point here. Is it that
                      you just want to tell me that it is not possible? If it isn't working
                      thats ok. But you might get the point that the property names changes a
                      lot from AS2 to AS3 and you have to program most of things in classes.
                      And yes it is a good thing to learn AS3 but you have to program in a
                      compete different way. No more scripts attached to movie clips directly
                      but scripts that you have to program yourself the scripts on these
                      movieclips. Of course I can but I was looking for a way to use a step
                      between. No jelly, no peanut butter and no mayonnaise at all.

Thats all ok if it does not work, but no discussion about cars, food or
                      anything else but scripting and programming language. Please.