5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2007 8:19 PM by Newsgroup_User

Bluetooth file transfer

Mouseclick Multimedia
      Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to transfer files via bluetooth? I don't seem to be able to find an xtra that does the trick, so if anyone has an idea, it's very welcome! Maybe anyone has had any luck using an activeX control or shell xtra?

thanks in advance,

Johan - Belgium
        • 1. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
          Level 7
          The issue with bluetooth is that, though the protocol itself is a standard,
          far as i know there is no common higher level language like e.g. directX or
          openGL for graphics, agreed between manufacturers. In practice this means
          that each manufacturer releases its own driver and an application that can
          communicate with the device through that driver. Therfore, the application
          can't be used with a different bluetooth device. Microsoft has released
          bluetooth drivers that are compatible with several chipsets. Generic
          bluetooth code can be written for those drivers, since an interface is
          provided by ms, but this means that you'll need to replace the drivers that
          came preinstalled in your machine with the generic ones. I've done so in my
          Dell notebooks and they work (both the drivers and the director->bluetooth
          part), but if you have a generic application in mind, I doubt that many
          clients would bother/like replacing their drivers with the ms generic ones.

"Mouseclick Multimedia" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
          news:fiok4o$nuc$1@forums.macromedia.com...
          > Hi,
          >
          > I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to transfer files via bluetooth?
          > I
          > don't seem to be able to find an xtra that does the trick, so if anyone
          > has an
          > idea, it's very welcome! Maybe anyone has had any luck using an activeX
          > control
          > or shell xtra?
          >
          > thanks in advance,
          >
          > Johan - Belgium
          >

• 2. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
            Mouseclick Multimedia Level 1
            That wouldn't be a huge problem, since my client wants software specifically written for a digital photoframe that comes with it's own bluetooth dongle.
            Could you give me a hint as to with what xtra (or activeX) you achieved connection? Since the bluetooth-device doesn't give a pathname, I wonder how it is to be done to copy files to it.

Thanks in advance,

Johan
            • 3. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
              Level 7
              > Since the bluetooth-device doesn't give a pathname...
              If you join a bluetooth personal area network (PAN) you can exchange files
              between computers as you would with a LAN connection, either by using the
              machine's name, or the automatically assigned IP (169.xxx.xxx.xxx or
              something) . Such an ip is probably assigned to other connected devices as
              well.
              As for the Xtra, it will be announced soon. It will include many networking
              functions, but not sure if bt support will be included -or up to what
              extent- in the first release.

news:fj0jgm$iav$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              > That wouldn't be a huge problem, since my client wants software
              > specifically
              > written for a digital photoframe that comes with it's own bluetooth
              > dongle.
              > Could you give me a hint as to with what xtra (or activeX) you achieved
              > connection? Since the bluetooth-device doesn't give a pathname, I wonder
              > how it
              > is to be done to copy files to it.
              >
              > Thanks in advance,
              >
              > Johan
              >
              >

• 4. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
                Mouseclick Multimedia Level 1
                ah, so a new xtra is coming? Great news, which company is producing it?
                • 5. Re: Bluetooth file transfer
                  Level 7
                  http://xtrema.rtr.gr/beta/xnettools.rar

demonstrates:
                  internet ip/local ips discovery, ping, tracert, nbtlookup, reverselookup,
                  dnsquery/lookup, shutdown (nt), wakeup (magic packet), mac address
                  discovery.
                  supports:
                  ipv4/ipv6, IDNs (international domain names : unicode names <> idn )
                  uses the xTextMem (light blue text boxes) unicode text member for displaying
                  unicode data.

Notes:
                  Upon launch, the movie will create a large number of threads in order to
                  instantly discover all machines on your LAN(s).
                  DNS features don't work on pre2k systems.
                  On w98, tracert & ping functions will produce a script error if 'show names'
                  is checked. This is caused because (the faster) dnslookup, rather than
                  revlookup that is supported by all systems has been used in the movie.
                  The movie will create 2 files in the root of your c:\ drive. One is debug
                  information, and the other a list of the discovered machines. That list can
                  be used at any time to wakeup previously discovered machines (double click
                  the machine's name on the right window)

things you can try from the message window:
                  put xnetaddr(#internet).ip
                  put xnetaddr(#local).addrlist
                  put xnetaddr(#local, #all).addrlist
                  put xnetaddr("google.com").ip
                  put xnetaddr("google.com").revlookup()
                  put xnetaddr("google.com").icmpecho()
                  put xnetaddr("google.com").icmpecho(#async)
                  put xdns().query( xnetaddr("google.com").revip , #ptr)
                  put xdns().query("www.adobe.com")
                  put xdns().query( ["205.234.170.217"], "www.adobe.com")

and, if you have ipv6 installed:
                  put xnetaddr("2001:610:508:110:192:87:110:60").revlookup()
                  --> [#ID: 1096, #Cmd: #revLookup, #dur: 0, #state: #done, #Err: 0, #name:
                  zesbot.ipv6.surfnet.nl]
                  put xnetaddr6("www.ipv6.surfnet.nl").ip
                  --> "2001:610:508:110:192:87:110:60"
                  put xnetaddr("www.ipv6.surfnet.nl").addrlist
                  --> [#INET4: <xNetAddr INET4 192.87.110.60>, #INET6: <xNetAddr INET6
                  2001:610:508:110:192:87:110:60>]

news:fj22h8$9hl$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                  > ah, so a new xtra is coming? Great news, which company is producing it?