1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 6, 2014 10:47 AM by Mike M

Help with Adobe Flash Player 12 IE 8.1 64 Bit

icangels23

I am having a problem with the Adobe Flash Player 12 for IE 8.1 64 bit. I have tried it with You Tube videos and still not working properly. Can anyone assist me?

• 1. Re: Help with Adobe Flash Player 12 IE 8.1 64 Bit
          Mike M Level 6

Flash Player for IE on Windows 8 & 8.1 is mebedded by Microsoft.

You can't:

Download it

Update it

Upgrade it

Repair it

Uninstall it

from here.

It can ONLY be updated via Windows Update.

IE11 is another can of worms.

Microsoft intentionally screwed up the "user-Agent Strings", which websites use to identify the browser and provide the proper content for it. Since the pages can't recognize the browser, they don't recognize any of the plugins, like Flash Player. So far, Microsoft has made NO indication that they have any plan to fix it soon.

Microsoft's recommendation is to use Compatibility View for affected pages, and "pretend" you're using an different browser. Trouble with that is it has seen limited success at best, and you have to individually enable it for EVERY page that has problems.

I'm not big on "pretending" so I recommend actually using another browser.

Firefox (from Mozilla)

Opera (from Opera)

Safari (from Apple)

Chrome (from Google)

ANY of those will work where IE11 won't, with the Flash Player Plug-in (For all other browsers), and Chrome doesn't even need that because it has its own Flash Player plugin built in.