9 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2014 10:52 AM by purly_gurl

Edge Animate application is very sluggish - Windows 8.1

MarshalSerna Level 1

On my MacBook (OS 10.8.5) the program runs very smoothly, however my Windows 8.1 workstation the app is excruciatingly slow. It's tedious just moving a rectangle on the stage, and adding a preloader causes an indefinite hang. I read the solution regarding proxy settings (http://helpx.adobe.com/edge-animate/kb/edge-animate-proxy-issues.html) but I have no proxy server listed in my lan connection. I'm on a small network with only Windows firewall. i7 quad, 32gb ram, SSD. Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Edge Animate application is very sluggish - Windows 8.1
          elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, Marshal-

Is this happening with new files, old files, or just happening in general?  Is your Mac on the same network?  Does clearing your preferences help things at all?

-Elaine

• 2. Re: Edge Animate application is very sluggish - Windows 8.1
            MarshalSerna Level 1

Hi Elaine, thanks for your response.

This issue is happening with both old and new files. If I start a new project and simply draw a new rectangle, the interface struggles to keep up. Dragging and resizing is very jerky. The same goes for playback of the simplest animation from within the app.

I just tried resetting the preferences by re-naming the folder in /user/AppData/Roaming, but it doesn't seem to have made any difference. I have also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app, unplugging the LAN, and working with local files (my files were originally on a LAN server) all with no change in performance. Opening Edge Animate with the LAN disconnected caused Windows to pop up a Firewall dialog asking if I wanted to give permission to EA on public networks, which I checked. Permission was already granted for private/work networks.

Performance on my MacBook has been consistent both on my home wifi network and here on the studio wifi network (the same router my Win8 workstation is also connected to via ethernet.) Perhaps I should mention that the MacBook's CC is licensed to me personally, while CC on the Win8 machine is licensed to the studio, if that makes any difference.

-Marshal

• 3. Re: Edge Animate application is very sluggish - Windows 8.1
              elainecc Adobe Employee

Hi, Marshal-

Could you send me one of the problem projects for us to look at?  I'll have to hunt down a Win8.1 machine, but I can probably get someone to take a look at it over the weekend to see if there's an issue there.  Have you tried swapping licenses on the Win8.1 machine to see if that's the problem?

Thanks,

-Elaine

• 4. Re: Edge Animate application is very sluggish - Windows 8.1
                MarshalSerna Level 1

Hi Elaine,

Just getting back to the studio today after a long, snow-bound weekend. I did just try swapping licenses on the machine, but there was no difference in Edge Animate performance. I've created a very simple animation that showcases the issue I'm experience - a couple of boxes and some text. Even typing text is excruciating... text appears in the text box at about one charater per second.

Is there an address I can send a .zip file? I would share via the Creative Cloud, but file sharing doesn't seem to work now after switching accounts back and forth.

Thanks again,

Marshal

• 5. Re: Edge Animate application is very sluggish - Windows 8.1
                  MarshalSerna Level 1

Hi Elaine,

Here's a link to a project which renders Edge Animate unusable on my Windows 8.1 workstation:

http://blackstoneedge.com/downloads/EdgeAnimate_sample_slow-on-win8-1.zip

There is nothing fancy about this project... default fonts, and a couple of moving boxes. Every step was painfully slow. As I mentioned in my previous comment, the act of typing text into a new text dialog was incredibly slow.

Thanks again for your assistance.

Marshal

• 6. Re: Edge Animate application is very sluggish - Windows 8.1
                    BigMucho

I'm having the exact same issue, extremely slow GUI response and redraw.  It's disruptive, bordering on unuseable at times.

• 2013 Macbook pro: OSX 10.9.1
                    • 2.7 Ghz Intel core i7 (8 virtual cores)
                    • 16gb ram
                    • Intel HD 4000 / NVIDIA GeFoce GT 650M
                    • Plenty of available HDD capacity.

• Recent Edge Animate re-install (within the week)
                    • ver:  3.0.0.322.27519

Any assitance would be apreciated.

thanks!

• 7. Re: Edge Animate application is very sluggish - Windows 8.1
                      iReddog

Hello there,

I just signed up for Adobe CC, and after making it through all the starter tutorials just fine, I ran into the issue described in this thread. I've attempted everything listed to fix it (I am doing the African Safari Tutorial now), but nothing is working and the program is running very sluggishly.

Any new developments or tips?

Thanks

• 8. Re: Edge Animate application is very sluggish - Windows 8.1
                        iReddog Level 1

The tutorial in question: Banner design tutorial | How to make a web banner with Edge Animate CC

Every other Adobe product works fine, with much, much more on screen (This tutorial includes four or five large images, but nothing out of the ordinary).

• 9. Re: Edge Animate application is very sluggish - Windows 8.1
                          purly_gurl

I am also having this issue.  I was using Edge Animate CC with no problems as late as yesterday morning.  Yesterday afternoon, I upgraded to Edge Animate CC 2014 (I need to leverage the audio/video capabilities in the new version) and it has been unusable, especially when attempting to publish as an OAM file.  I have been working on the simplest of projects for hours.  This is really quite ridiculous.  None of the other Adobe apps have a problem.