24 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2014 1:58 PM by A.T. Romano

Menu Navigational Buttons

GagaDVDMaker

I have created a DVD in Premier Essentials 12.  The navigational forward and back menu buttons work in the completed movie's "Disc Preview" mode on the computer, but these navigational buttons showed up but did not work on the burned DVD.  Why not and how can I fix?

• 1. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
          A.T. Romano Level 7

GagaDVDMaker

Where did you get this "Premiere Essential 12"?

On what computer operating system is it running?

What specific disc menu are you using? Was your end product DVD-VIDEO standard on DVD disc, DVD-VIDEO widescreen on DVD disc, or AVCHD on DVD disc?

What player were you using when you say that the navigational buttons showed up but did not work on the burned DVD?

The Why not and how to fix will come from the details that you supply.

Looing forward to your follow up with details to help us help you.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
            GagaDVDMaker Level 1

I ordered the Premiere Essential 12 on disc through Amazon.  It is running on Windows 8.1.  I was using the "Family Memories" disc menu.  My end product was DVD-Video widescreen on DVD disc.  (NTSC widescreen Dolby DVD to be exact).  I was using a Samsung BD-F5100 Blu-ray disc/DVD player.  Hope this is what you need.

• 3. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
              A.T. Romano Level 7

GagaDVDMaker

Thanks for the information. Very helpful.

I do not know what this Premiere Essentials from Amazon is all about. I will check that out to determine what the difference(s) might be between that and what Adobe sells and calls Premiere Elements 12.

Also, I will do a run through with my Premiere Elements 12 to DVD-VIDEO Widescreen played back on the TV and computer, using the Family Memories disc menu. Just want to make sure that we are not dealing with a flawed menu whose flaws have not been fully documented. It happens sometimes.

What happens if you playback the DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD on the computer instead of the Blu-ray/DVD player? Can the menus be navigated then using the remote?

More later.

Thanks for the follow up. Much appreciated.

ATR

• 4. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                A.T. Romano Level 7

GagaDVDMaker

Can you supply a link to the Amazon web site that features the product that you purchased and are naming as Premiere Essentials 12? I have been unsuccessful in finding such a product.

Meanwhile I am continuing with my road testing of your issue with Premiere Elements 12 as described previously.

More later.

ATR

• 5. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                  GagaDVDMaker Level 1

I am sorry...it IS Premiere Elements 12 (not Essentials).  I bought it in a package deal with Photoshop Elements 12. 

• 6. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                    GagaDVDMaker Level 1

The DVD navigation buttons worked find when playing back the DVD in my computer.  I could navigate all the menus.

• 7. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

GagaDVDMaker

I am doing the Premiere Elements 12 burn to DVD as mentioned earlier and will report back with the results soon.

Thanks for the Premiere Elements 12 information.

ATR

• 8. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                        GagaDVDMaker Level 1

While I have you, do you know if there is a way to change the amount of scene boxes on the scene menus?  I wanted to have three "boxes" instead of the five "boxes" provided by the template on the screen menus.  I needed to enlarge the boxes so that the text could be seen on screen and with the template of five boxes, I couldn't fit what I wanted on the screen menu. I wanted to move two of them to the next menu and just have three "boxes" per menu and more menus, but didn't know how to adjust the menu from five to three.

• 9. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

GagaDVDMaker

TV DVD Player with Remote for Navigation

Main Menu

Play All Button and ScenesBottom each use a Cloths Button Hightlight.

For me, inititally Play Button presented with the Gray Button

and

and the Scene Button presented with the Brown Button

and

when I hit the Enter on the Remote, Play All resulted.

Apparently, the gray highlight is the one that indicates the choice being made. My first instinct was to go for the brown as the one to indicate the choice.

Scene Selection Page

X highlight is used to navigate the scene thumbnails and the menu button (to get back to the main menu) uses the cloths button highlight.

Computer Playback Windows Media Player 12 with Mouse Cursor Navigation

Essentially the same as with TV.

Please review the above and then let us know where you are differing in what is happening there when you say the menus do not work on the TV, but work on the computer.

For TV

a. There are no highlights displaying...buttons are all gray, all brown, or other

b. Clicking on Play All or Scenes, does not get the Play All or the Scene Selection Page

c. Other

Depending on your results and comments, I would suggest the following for now for troubleshooting purposes

a. try the playback on one or two TV DVD player setups

b. try another menu

Looking forward to your comments and results.

Thanks.

ATR

• 10. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

GagaDVDMaker

Just saw your post 8 about numbers of buttons per Scene Selection page.

If you want more buttons than 5, then you would have to go into the .psd file for the Scene Menu on the hard drive and edit it with Photoshop CS or higher. Or, if you can get a given version of Photoshop Elements on a given operating system to work for this purpose (very ify), Photoshop Elements Full Editor is the way to go.

If you want less buttons per page, then just use less scene markers on the Timeline. If you have 3 scene markers on the Timeline, then you will get only 3 scene thumbnails in the Scene Selection Page.

Please let me know if I have targeted your question.

Please take a look at my blog post on disc menu modification which just happens to use the Family Memories Theme as part of the demo.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-one-page-14-scene-buttons-dvd-menu.html

Thanks.

ATR

• 11. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                              GagaDVDMaker Level 1

I have a total of 12 scene markers.  They correspond to separate family videos and they are perfect as they are.  The program places five on the first scene page, five on the second overflow scene menu, and two on the last overflow menu page.  I want only three or four on each scene menu which would make three or four scene menus.  Can I change the amount of scene selections per menu to less than the default of five?  I want less than five buttons per menu, but I want the same amount of scenes that I currently have.  I will look at your post.  I am not a computer "techie" but I have had previous experience making family DVD videos that included my being able to control the menus and submenus a bit better but not as "easily."

• 12. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

GagaDVDMaker

This should be easy since all we would be doing is removing Layer Sets from the Scene Menu .psd file with Photoshop Elements or Photoshop.

With Family Memories, the Scene Selection page is designed for 5 buttons per page. When you add more than 5 scene markers to the Timeline, then a copy of the first is generated for the next five, and so on.

Each scene in the Scene Selection page is traced back to its own Layer Set in that Scene Menu.psd file. So,

Given your total of 12 scene markers, if you wanted a Scene Selection page with 3 buttons, then we go into the .psd file and delete 2 of the 5 Layers Sets for the buttons. That will give you 4 Scene Selection pages each with 3 scenes (buttons).

If you wanted a Scene Selection page with 4 buttons, then we go into the Scene Menu .psd file and delete 1 of the 5 Layer Sets for the buttons. That will give you 3 Scene Selection pages each with 4 scenes (buttons).

Check out the blog post. If it is too overwhelming, do not worry about that. I will customize a version for you.

More later.

ATR

• 13. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                                  GagaDVDMaker Level 1

It is overwhelming. I will go into your blog post, but I don't even know how to go into the .psd file.  Your software was recommended, but I am totally new at this Adobe software.  I would like to learn, though, because I would like to be able to customize my videos.  When I delete two of the five layers (however I do that), do I lose everything that I have done so far to try and barely fit the five buttons which I learned to do?  I understand your mathematics, but I don't know how to delete a "Layer Set" and I don't want to have to go through the entire video and reset all markers.  Thanks for your help. 

• 14. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

GagaDVDMaker

You leave your menu markers on the Timeline as it.

Their appearance in the menus will be in the order that they are in on the Timeline.

All you will be doing by deleting Layer Sets is to cause the generation of additional menu pages as you exceed the button limit designed into the page.

Example

The first Timeline scene marker will be on Scene Menu page 1, and so on. Once you hit the limit of the number of buttons designed into a page, an additional menu page will be automatically generated.

So, with a 4 button menu, the fifth Timeline scene marker will be on Scene Menu page 2, and so on.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you are not with me on those details. If not following, I will rewrite if necessary.

When do you need this menu so that you can send this gift to your husband?

Right now. What are you preferring, the 4 button or 3 buttons per page type?

Also, is this going to be a DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc? Are you working from a NTSC or PAL set up?

Do you have any version of Photoshop Elements or Photoshop?

More later.

ATR

Add On..Do not let my blog post scare you. You situation is extremely easy. With the details requested above, you should have the menu ready for use within hours after I post the details in your thread.

• 15. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

GagaDVDMaker

Please check you Adobe Private Messages for one from me.

Thank you.

ATR

• 16. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

GagaDVDMaker

In response to your post numbered 8 in your thread, I have just published a blog post with step by step with graphics on how to delete scene menu buttons from the Memories/Family Memories Theme.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe-scene-menu-customizationdecreasing.html

I have proofread the blog post several times and no changes indicated so far.

ATR

• 17. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                                          GagaDVDMaker Level 1

Thank you so much for your help. I will check out the blog post.  I am going to be very happy to be able to delete scene menu buttons...I have at least three more family DVDs to make to get up to date.

Still can't get the forward/back buttons to be recognized.  Am getting sick of it and quite discouraged.  It shouldn't be so difficult.

I appreciate all you have done.

Nancy

Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2014 21:59:52 -0800

To: toddnancy@hotmail.com

Subject: Menu Navigational Buttons

Re: Menu Navigational Buttons

created by A.T. Romano in Premiere Elements - View the full discussion

GagaDVDMaker

In response to your post numbered 8 in your thread, I have just published a blog post with step by step with graphics on how to delete scene menu buttons from the Memories/Family Memories Theme.

http://atr935.blogspot.com/2014/02/pe-scene-menu-customizationdecreasi ng.html

I have proofread the blog post several times and no changes indicated so far.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6104168#6104168

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6104168#6104168

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6104168#6104168. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Premiere Elements at Adobe Community

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 18. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Nancy

Thanks for the follow up.

About those previous and next buttons...have you done a side test run where you leave the menus as is and burn to disc (no user customization) and then check out those menu navigation buttons on the TV DVD player?

Are you using the disc menu section window Safety Margins?

More later.

ATR

• 19. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                                              GagaDVDMaker Level 1

Yes, used the Safety Margins.  These forward/back navigation buttons are totally within the margins.  I will do a side test run and leave the menus as is and burn to disc and check it out on the DVD player.  It will take me a while.

Appreciate your help.

Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 13:22:23 -0800

Nancy

Thanks for the follow up.

About those previous and next buttons...have you done a side test run where you leave the menus as is and burn to disc (no user customization) and then check out those menu navigation buttons on the TV DVD player?

Are you using the disc menu section window Safety Margins?

More later.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6111089#6111089

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6111089#6111089

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6111089#6111089. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/thread/416458?tstart=0.

• 20. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                                                A.T. Romano Level 7

GagaDVDMaker

I do not recall if I asked "When you are not seeing the previous and next buttons, how many menu pages do you have?"

If you have 12 scene markers and the Memories/Family Memories theme (5 scene buttons per scene page), do you have

Main Menu

Scene Menu page 1

Scene Menu page 2

Scene Menu page 3

Are previous and forward buttons not seen any where?

ATR

• 21. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                                                  GagaDVDMaker Level 1

I have two main menus with a Play All, Scene, and two other "personalized"  (January and February on the first main menu and March and April on the second main menu) buttons.  Because I needed a total of four personalized "month" buttons, the main menu automatically carried over to a second main menu page.  I have always set up my family videos so that you can play all, navigate to a particular individual movie (scene), or view by the month (multiple "scenes" in each month).  This is how I have done all my previous DVDs when I used the Roxio program.  My family like this setup.  Actually Roxio allowed me to set up my main menus with the months, and when you clicked on the month, you were navigated to a "submenu" that included all the individual movies for that particular month.  Premiere Elements menus do not include this navigation format.  So, I have a Main Menu 1 page 1, Main Menu page 2, and (you are correct) separate scene menus Scene Menu page 1, Scene Menu page 2, and Scene Menu page 3 (which are not organized by month but just chronologically...five to a menu).  The problem is that the forward and back buttons to get both back and forth from Main Menu pages 1 and 2 and all the Scene Menus are not being recognized by either of the two DVD players I tried but are working fine when I put the DVD in the computer and work in "Preview Disc."  None of the forward/back buttons work on any of the menus.  After hours of playing around, I did find that the menus do go forward and back in the DVD player when I use the down, left, and right arrows on the remote to navigate totally off the bottom of the television screen where there is just black.

Hope this helps.  I will work on trying to burn a DVD with just the preset menus and see if the forward/back buttons work then.  My question is in order to do this, do I have to make an actual movie using my clips in order to get the menus to work?  I don't want mess around with anything on my current "family DVD" (except get the forward/back buttons to work!). 

Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 14:50:08 -0800

From: forums_noreply@adobe.com

GagaDVDMaker

I do not recall if I asked "When you are not seeing the previous and next buttons, how many menu pages do you have?"

If you have 12 scene markers and the Memories/Family Memories theme (5 scene buttons per scene page), do you have

Main Menu

Scene Menu page 1

Scene Menu page 2

Scene Menu page 3

Are previous and forward buttons not seen any where?

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6111420#6111420

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6111420#6111420

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6111420#6111420. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 22. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                                                    A.T. Romano Level 7

GagaDVDMaker

If you want to do troubleshooting of the menu, then consider working from a copy of your project.

Use the program's File Menu/Save A Copy to generate a copy that you can work with for the menus.

Looking forward to further developments with the previous and next buttons.

ATR

• 23. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                                                      GagaDVDMaker Level 1

Okay....

I made an test DVD with miscellaneous clips from my file using the same family memories template.  I made sure I had three scene menu pages, still five scenes per page.  Therefore, on the second scene menu page, I had both a forward and back navigation button.  I did not change the placement of these buttons on any of the menus on the templates.  The DVD worked fine in the DVD player/TV.  So, I reburned my original DVD movie on which the navigation buttons didn't work thinking maybe it was just something wrong with the original "burn."  Remember, I had moved these forward/back navigation buttons on the template to new positions.  This new DVD I burned exactly as the original one with the forward/back navigation buttons moved did NOT work in the DVD player.  So, the problem has something to do with my moving the forward/back navigation buttons to a new location on the template.  The problem is, I don't know how to move them back to their original location on the template because I don't know where that location is, and I dread having to remove and redo all my beautiful menus.

Any thoughts?

Nancy

Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2014 18:04:11 -0800

From: forums_noreply@adobe.com

GagaDVDMaker

If you want to do troubleshooting of the menu, then consider working from a copy of your project.

Use the program's File Menu/Save A Copy to generate a copy that you can work with for the menus.

Looking forward to further developments with the previous and next buttons.

ATR

Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed a screen image in your message please visit the thread in the forum to embed the image at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6111817#6111817

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: http://forums.adobe.com/message/6111817#6111817

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at http://forums.adobe.com/message/6111817#6111817. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

• 24. Re: Menu Navigational Buttons
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Nancy

Make a copy of the original project, the one where the next/previous buttons are not showing up on the end product that you play back on your DVD Player.

Open that copied project to the Movie Menu customization workspace. Right click the Movie Menu customization area screen, select Safety Margins.

With your 12 scene markers on the Timeline and that Memories/Family Memories theme (5 scene buttons per page version)

Scene Menu page 1 should have

a. button named Main to get back to the Main Menu

and

b. only a Next button to Scene Menu page 2.

Select the Next button wherever it is now and move it so that it is above the bottom line of the Safety Margins inner rectangle and not overlapping with any other button, Main or Scene.

Movie-Menu-1.jpg

Scene Menu page 2 should have

a. button named Main to get back to the Main Menu

and

b. both a Next and a Previous button...both positioned above the bottom line of the Safety Margins  inner rectangle...select, when you see the bound box around the object, drag upward to position as above that line. Again, no button overlaps.

Movie-Menu-Page-2.jpg

Scene Menu page 3 should have

a. button named Main to get back to the Main Menu page

and

b. Only a Previous button which needs to be position above the bottom line of the Safety Margins inner rectangle.

MovieMenu-Page-3.jpg

Please check out the above and then let us know if you are OK with the details and if I have interpreted your present situation correctly.

Thanks.

ATR