6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2014 3:34 PM by dstx

Master Page Change Doesn't Update All Docs In Book

dstx Level 1

Why won't changes to a Master Page apply to all documents in a book?

My Master Page only shows up in the Pages menu when I have a document in my book open.

When I double click on a Master Page for the document and edit it (such as book title),

the change is applied to the open document but not to any other documents in the book.

To change the (book title on) other documents in the book, I have to open each document separately,

double click on the Master Page and make the change.

• 1. Re: Master Page Change Doesn't Update All Docs In Book
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Or synchronize the master pages under synch options....

• 2. Re: Master Page Change Doesn't Update All Docs In Book
            dstx Level 1

What is "Style Source" in "synchronize with the Style Source option?

Synchronize does nothing.
            Somehow the Master Pages are different for different documents.

I don't know how to make the Master Pages all the same without changing the Master Pages individually for each document.

Hopefully, they will now stay the same.

Wish I knew how this happened.

Seems like if I change the Master Page from one document, it doesn't carry through to any others.

Granted, I didn't sync the documents, but why should that matter.

Where is the Master Page located?

Why doesn't changing the Master Page from one document change the Master Page when viewed from other documents.

I thought when I created a Master Page, it would be the only Master Page.

How did I end up with different Master Pages for each document in the book?

When I setup new file and create Master Pages, then save the file, then copy the file to create more documents for a book, why do I then end up with separate Master Pages for each document?

• 3. Re: Master Page Change Doesn't Update All Docs In Book

In a Book, all things are document-specific until sychronized. You must not only choose the things you want to synch, you must also issue a synch command, and of course you must select the updated document as the source for synchronization.

Only master pages and styles with exactly the same names will change to match the source. THings in the soource that don't match the destination docs will be added to them.

• 4. Re: Master Page Change Doesn't Update All Docs In Book
                dstx Level 1

I tested synchronization and it doesn't work.

From one document, I opened Master Page and changed book title.

Then I selected it as style source, then highlighted another document in the book and clicked the synchronization button, but the booktitle did not change in the document I was trying to sync with the style source, the file in which I had changed the book title on the Master Page.

Sorry, just checked Sync Options and Master Page wasn't checked so I checked it.

Snyc seems to be working now.

Message was edited by: dstx

• 5. Re: Master Page Change Doesn't Update All Docs In Book

Master objects only change on the document page if they haven't been overrridden. Did the master page itself update?

• 6. Re: Master Page Change Doesn't Update All Docs In Book
                    dstx Level 1

Yes, Master Page updated just as I wanted.