4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2014 9:55 PM by Kawika808

Is there a way to nudge buttons in menu setup?

Kawika808 Level 1

I'm trying to customize a PE12 menu to some degree.  Part of this involves moving the menu buttons around (in the PE12 template I chose, they are all lined up across the top of the menu; I'm trying to arrange them in a rectangular grid pattern).

I have no trouble moving them by dragging, but it's hard to get them to line up the same on every page of the menu.  According to information on this page

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premiereelements/using/WS09e4b3c48f3a79fc19b622510385d4355c-7e 0c.html

they can be nudged by using arrows on computer keyboard, but I have been unable to get any movement at all by doing this.  I have also tried using various keys (Alt, Ctrl, Alt-Ctrl) plus the arrows; no effect.  Also tried the arrows on the numeric keypad (being sure the numlock was not engaged) and still no luck.

Any way to nudge the buttons?

Also, any way to activate a grid or other alignment tool when customizing the menu to be sure that each menu page is aligned in exactly the same way?

All suggestions gratefully accepted!

• 1. Re: Is there a way to nudge buttons in menu setup?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Kawika808

I have not gotten the "nudge" to work as described in your link for Premiere Elements 11 and 12 Disc Menu customization under any conditions.

It does work for at least Premiere Elements 10 and 9.0/9.0.1. "Works" takes on some definition here. Yes, you can tap, one tap at a time, to get the bounding box to move, and you do the "nudging" with just the arrow keys. Holding down the arrow key goes not provide for a glide of the bounding box in the direction aimed for. It is one tap of the arrow key at a time that gains you movement. It is a jerky in motion operation at best. But it works in at least versions 9.0/9.0.1 and 10. All this is on these versions on Windows 7 64 bit.

As for the grid for aligning objects in the menu, in limited situations where the Adobe design permits, you could replace the background of a menu with an grid image (jpg) that you created in Photoshop Elements or Photoshop. Use it for the alignments and then reset the background to its original or other. That opportunity is not always going to be available.

By the way, if all of these menu are going for the same alignment, all you need to do is customize one page (one for main and one for scene). The pages after that are copies of the first that will be generated when you exceed the designed in buttons per page of a menu page.

Do you work with the Disc Menu window's Safety Margins on to give you a very rough perspective?

ATR

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Is there a way to nudge buttons in menu setup?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Kawika808

Add On...I looked at this in Windows 8.1 64 bit and got the same.

ATR

• 3. Re: Is there a way to nudge buttons in menu setup?
              the_wine_snob Level 9

Kawika808,

My experiments equal those of ATR - Nudge seems to not work, quite as described in later versions of PrE.

One caveat, when moving Buttons on Menu Sets:

No overlap is permitted by the DVD-specs.. Not even by 1 pxl. A Button is defined by a rectangle, which encompasses ALL elements IN the Button, so one must be very careful to not allow any parts of those rectangles overlap.

Good luck,

Hunt

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Is there a way to nudge buttons in menu setup?
                Kawika808 Level 1

ATR, & Bill,

Thanks for your answers.

I wasn't able to get any motion of the button placement at all with the arrows, regardless of tapping, holding, or whatever.  Is there some trick to locating the cursor?  I just put it inside the bounding box of the button in question and tried the arrows.  The result was that the CTE moved along the timeline, as if I were just working in the timeline and not in the Menu area.

Interesting idea about creating a grid...thanks!

re: "if all of these menu are going for the same alignment, all you need to do is customize one page (one for main and one for scene). The pages after that are copies of the first that will be generated when you exceed the designed in buttons per page of a menu page."

My first step was to put menu markers in the timeline.  This generated a like number of buttons (spread over several menu pages) in the menu.  And changing the layout of the buttons on the first menu page had no effect on any other page.

I couldn't figure out the margins (if that's what they were) on the menu window.  There was some sort of large bounding box that would appear if I clicked on various parts of the menu window; its location was variable according to where I clicked.  My method of checking the safe area was pretty primitive: crop the entire project to 4:3 (it was created and saved in 16:9, but I wanted to be sure that a 4:3 version would work OK), be sure that everything fit inside that, and then hit the "Undo" command to restore the 16:9 aspect ratio.

Regarding overlapping buttons: PE12 put red rectangles around any buttons that were overlapping, making them easy to spot and rectify.